Thread: Question about the engine

Default Question about the engine

Hello all!
    I am French and I bought a supervee in the USA because it is not available in France and I have a problem with it.
    I’d like to know if it’s easy to turn the stock engine. Mine is a little hard and I can feel 8 notches!
    I broke two packs of batteries and I’m looking for the problem.
    Regards

Xavier

I remember with mine that the stock motor did not turn easily by hand. What seems to be happening that is causing the problem?

So you think, the engine is not the problem?

My batteries are Trinity reference 3600mah Nimh.

After a run, one pack was very hot and now a can use it. I bought an other pack and this one burnt too.

Do you know this problem?

I am sorry my English is a little basic...

I find that with the standard set up the wiring harness is usually set in series. This causes a substantial draw of current from one pack more than the other and one of them will heat up considerably more. What I did with both my SV's is change the harness over to parallel which draws from both packs the same. It halves the voltage being drawn but doubles the runtime.

Let me know if you don't understand it and I'll try to explain it better.

I am not sure if I understand! You run with just 7.2V?

You don't use all the capacity of the engine?

I actually use 14.4volt batteries instead of 7.2. That way I get the full use and increase the time I can run and also prevent the excess discharge of the one pack that you are experiencing.

Ok, I understand! So I must make 1 pack with 12 cells?

Thank you for your advice! I'll try and I'll say you if it's ok! For the moment, it's time to sleep in France!!

Thanks again,

Xavier

No, I actually use two packs, one on each side of the boat for balance, but run the packs in parallel. Time to get up here in Oz

Xavier - If one pack heats up and the other does not, there is something wrong.
    Are both battery packs fully charged? when fully charged do they have the same voltage (must check with mutimeter or other voltage detector)?

If they are identically charged, then the issue is likely wiring. Check all the solder joints on your connectors - battery side and ESC side. Maybe check the motor wires too, many have had solder joints that were not adequate.

Any pictures of your setup?
    Last edited by Ctonez; 09-11-2008 at 03:40 PM. Reason: added name

Thank you for your advice.

Ctonez - I use a stock supervee. I think your right! I burned a pack because when I used my supervee, there were a pack running in and the other was already run in. (same packs but one old and one new)

ChaKane - Do you use two 14.4v packs in parallel? It's not too heavy? Any pictures of your setup?

There are thousands of SV's running two 7.2 volt packs in series without any problems. Wiring in series does not make one battery heat up or run down before the other. You need to stick with the stock wiring and make sure you are using two equal batteries that are charged the same.

Quote Originally Posted by motoxbob11 View Post
    There are thousands of SV's running two 7.2 volt packs in series without any problems. Wiring in series does not make one battery heat up or run down before the other. You need to stick with the stock wiring and make sure you are using two equal batteries that are charged the same.
    I agree with this completely.

I've had two now that for some reason when running the batteries in series (Lipo) they seem to draw too much from one causing the battery to puff. I checked the harness as best I could and could not find any reason for it to be drawing predominately from the one side. The moment I change the harness over to parallel, problems are gone.

I am betting that your problems went away becouse 1 pack is doing the work of both right now. The pack that got warm might either have a bad cell or bad solder connection.

Bon chance!

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    I am betting that your problems went away becouse 1 pack is doing the work of both right now. The pack that got warm might either have a bad cell or bad solder connection.

Bon chance!

Also, do you balance charge your 2s packs in series when planning on running them in series?

Doug
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 09-17-2008 at 01:02 PM.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

AlanN, I don't think I agree with you about that. I would have though that in either wiring configeration that if one pack was doing all the work then it would still puff out and stuff it.

I make sure that all packs are balanced before I use them. I don't understand why it happened but it did, on two different boats.