Thread: Battery tray replaced

Default Battery tray replaced

got tired of the old cracking busted tray so i made one out of thin plywood i had laying around from my planes batt tray.jpgbatt tray 1.jpg
    Im Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What You Understand

What did you do to remove the plastic tray?

The stock one was busting and I wanted to lower the cg and i just pulled it out the glue is not really strong the stock one is installed with

Sent from my FE Phone
    Last edited by MAMBA2200; 05-20-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Guys... WHY are you all worried about "replacing" these battery trays?? Why not just remove them and put velcro in the bottom of the hull??
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Guys... WHY are you all worried about "replacing" these battery trays?? Why not just remove them and put velcro in the bottom of the hull??
    I personally just wanted to make the bottom more rigid also 2 birds 1stone

Sent from my FE Phone

Are you suggested to simply glue the velcro to the bottom of the hull? Wouldn't that be a pain when it comes time to replace the velcro?

Quote Originally Posted by metoo View Post
    Are you suggested to simply glue the velcro to the bottom of the hull? Wouldn't that be a pain when it comes time to replace the velcro?
    I'm not sure what kind velcro you are using, but the stuff I used has adhesive on the back, and I've rarely, if EVER, had to replace it...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

good idea and simple but won't work with one 4S in a vee hull, that's why I think people want to install a tray.

I'm not sure what kind velcro you are using, but the stuff I used has adhesive on the back, and I've rarely, if EVER, had to replace it...
    Ooooohhh! You're talking about simply adhering a single strip to the inside bottom of the hull and a single strip under the battery. I thought you were talking about using velcro straps. I must admit, and this is not from experience, but I would be afraid of a heavy 4S 5000mah (or bigger) battery coming loose without being strapped down. If using the hook-n-loop type, would it sit stable? 3M Dual Lock would work for sure. It has interlocking beads (mating sides are identical). This is a very strong product that would definitely hold the battery in and hold it steady, but it's so strong, replacing the battery would require more force than I would care to apply for such a task. Without a doubt, you have way more experience than me, so I'm assuming you've used the single strip method with hook&loop on a deep V FE in chop and it worked perfectly. On a Revolt, the bottom of the hull is not horizontal, so you would have to lay the battery at an angle and decide on laying the battery on the right of the v or left of the v. Have you biased the battery to one side without noticeable handling issues? I guess if you're racing, maybe right bias could be a good thing.
    Last edited by metoo; 05-21-2013 at 11:15 AM.