Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 56-1nch Venom P-1 gas to brushless question

Default 56-1nch Venom P-1 gas to brushless question

Hey guys. Against all the advice ive read against the big venom p-1 hull, I decided to pick one up since I love the look of the hull and they are now discontinued. Just bought a new rtr off ebay and am going to convert it to brushless. Aside from doing what I can to strengthen the hull, I am looking at the castle 2028 on 8-10s. Not looking for break-neck speed. I'd be happy with a reliable 50+. However I'm a noob to the HV setups and have been trying to gather information on the best esc that will suit my needs. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

the 2028 with a castle 200HV on 10s would get you where you want to go, 50mph reliably shouldn't be an issue depending on the weight though. Don't skimp on batteries, Dinogy is what I recommend..
    We call ourselves the "Q"

Was kinda hoping I could get away with a leopard or proteus motor to save some $$$. Ive seen/heard some guys running leopard 5698's on 10s in similar hulls, but have no idea how reliable they have been. The castle setup seems to be the best quality choice. hmmmm....... Having a hard time letting go of the cash!

you definitely can 750-850kv and 8000-12,000 watts on 10S 4 or 6 pole motor I don't know the nomenclature for the leopards or the proteus motors but the Castle is definitely the bulletproof choice.
    We call ourselves the "Q"

yeah I really like the look of that hull as well
    Most Venom hulls are actually very thin and light, the KOS large gasser hull is (too) thin
    Also the hatch on the cat breaks apart easily, so might need to enforce the one on the P1 as well

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    Was kinda hoping I could get away with a leopard or proteus motor to save some $$$. Ive seen/heard some guys running leopard 5698's on 10s in similar hulls, but have no idea how reliable they have been. The castle setup seems to be the best quality choice. hmmmm....... Having a hard time letting go of the cash!
    I have a Proteus 524 3t and a FC motor mount up for sale. I'll make you a deal if you wanna run them.

I was going to put it in an MHZ Mystic Study its a 56" mono. With the proteus run on 10s and a SF 300Pro+ esc. It would have been right at a solid 50+mph and very reliable. I've switched to a twin Proteus 528's, there just like the Castle 2028. But I'm going twins. I'm going to try and break 75-80mph.

Quote Originally Posted by iamandrew View Post
    yeah I really like the look of that hull as well
    Most Venom hulls are actually very thin and light, the KOS large gasser hull is (too) thin
    Also the hatch on the cat breaks apart easily, so might need to enforce the one on the P1 as well
    yeah, I have the venom/atomic 55-inch brushless cat. Its pretty thin, but ok for the little outrunner they put in it. Any 56mm motor will need some substantial beefing-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason4636 View Post
    I have a Proteus 524 3t and a FC motor mount up for sale. I'll make you a deal if you wanna run them.

I was going to put it in an MHZ Mystic Study its a 56" mono. With the proteus run on 10s and a SF 300Pro+ esc. It would have been right at a solid 50+mph and very reliable. I've switched to a twin Proteus 528's, there just like the Castle 2028. But I'm going twins. I'm going to try and break 75-80mph.
    I saw your ad. I want to get the boat in my hands first to see what I'm dealing with. Should have it by friday.

I didn't know if you had seen it. I wish you luck on the hull. I know the hull I'm getting is Carbon fiber/Kevlar, but it's gonna cost me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason4636 View Post
    I didn't know if you had seen it. I wish you luck on the hull. I know the hull I'm getting is Carbon fiber/Kevlar, but it's gonna cost me.
    Thanks. I'll keep an eye on your sale thread!

i am thinking of doing the same thing but w/ 55 seagad. i know where i can pick one up local at a killer price. almost to good to pass up. so my question is would anybody be intrested in motor pipe and all the gas related equipment and what do you think it is worth(to the right buyer)?
    58" Venom Segad-48" Prather Deep Vee-41" Dumas 1/8 Hydro-34" Saga C1-32" Venom KOS P1-31" Pro Boat Impulse V1

I'm gonna try and sell my stuff over at Jims rc boat dock. Lotsa gas guys over there.

Just got the boat today. Looks really nice. like the hardware. Trim tabs are kinda weird. Like a tab and turn fin in one. Anyone interested in the motor/clutch let me know. Its all coming out soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How much are we talking for the motor and stuff you are pulling out ?
    I may have a use for them,
    Any idea on how much run time on the motor ?
    I had the same turn and trim tab on my 35"p1,
    I just hammered them flat and flip flop them from side to side added real turn fins and modded the rudder to be offset.
    P1 35 KOS 010.jpgP1 35 KOS 011.jpgP1 35 KOS 012.jpgP1 35 KOS 014.jpgP1 35 KOS 015.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    How much are we talking for the motor and stuff you are pulling out ?
    I may have a use for them,
    Any idea on how much run time on the motor ?
    This is a brand new boat. The motor has never been fired. Im thinking $120 shipped for the complete motor, mounts, clutch, tuned pipe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by forescott; 12-08-2012 at 12:22 AM.

I' ve got a 50'' Fountain P1 hull, I would like a twin setup, it' s not easy to find the right setup

Hey Scott,
    That sound pretty good to me,
    You are going FE with it right ?
    What else will you not using that is in it ?
    Gas tank anything else ?
    Let me know and we can make a package deal on the stuff I think.
    Last edited by lenny; 12-21-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Hey Scott,
    That sound pretty good to me,
    You are going FE with it right ?
    What else will you be not using that is in it ?
    Gas tank anything else ?
    Let me know and we can make a package deal on the stuff I think.
    Yup, gonna run the castle 2028 and ice 200hv on 10s.
    I would throw the gas tank and kill switch too, keeping the radio box and servos, transom hardware and propshaft/flex.

Just found this on youtube. Pretty much what I'm looking for.

Hey that looks pretty good Scott,
    Dose he say what motor he is running and on what S cells ?
    It sound a little ruff in the drive I think,
    May be some binding on the flex shaft.
    Where do you find your boat at for sale ?

Its actually a fine design build. I think 5692 motor set up for 10s, but they call their motors nemesis gold, and I'm not sure of the esc. I got mine on ebay. Just found a new one at towerhobbies in the scratch and dent section with box damage only for $720. If you have super saver club membership you can save an additional 50-105 bucks and free shipping.

Hey I sent you 2-pms regarding the parts. Do you still want em??

Yes Scott,
    Just sent you a pm.
    Last edited by lenny; 12-08-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    Just found this on youtube. Pretty much what I'm looking for.
    This Fountain KOS is not very fast, Have a look to this 58" deep vee twin setup with two 4092, 8S on each motor

Just got my castle 2028 today. Now waiting for the hydra ice i ordered to come in.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356132575.816544.jpg

Got some more parts this week. Just waiting on my motor mount and new stepped down flex shaft so I can run 3/16 inch props. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357427870.882670.jpg

Got a chance to work on the p-1 a little today. 2028 mounted up to the rail mount from southriverrc.com. Turns out the stock flex shaft is kinda weird. 1/4 inch flex into 1/4 inch prop shaft with 5mm step down, and the stinger has 5mm bearings. Same setup as the little p-1 but bigger. i think I,m gonna use the stock shaft and try opening up some 3/16 props to 5mm.(not much of a difference) also the rear motor mount holes line up perfectly with the stock gas mount holes!

i have a swordfish 300 coming tomorrow from OSE that I think will mount nicely right in front of the motor where the stock gas tank was.(I'm using the castle ice 200 in another hull for now)This is turning to be a pretty simple conversion. The hardest part is going to be extending and supporting the stuffing tube extension, and building some battery trays.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357966607.251390.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357966619.963640.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357966634.048056.jpg
    Last edited by forescott; 01-13-2013 at 11:38 PM.

The hardest part is going to be extending and supporting the stuffing tube extension,

Hey,
    Just put a outer tube over the inner tubes about 1 1/2" to tie them together and epoxy it.

Just a thought, but why not just move the motor closer to the stuffing tube, rather than extending it?

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Just a thought, but why not just move the motor closer to the stuffing tube, rather than extending it?
    Because the motor gets closer to the bottom of the hull the further back I move it, and it hits the steps in the hull.

The hardest part is going to be extending and supporting the stuffing tube extension,

Hey,
    Just put a outer tube over the inner tubes about 1 1/2" to tie them together and epoxy it.
    yeah, the stuffing tube is weird too. The aluminum tube is away oversized and there is at least 2 layers of teflon tube inside to make up the difference. I have some brass tube that Im going to weave in between some of the teflon and make a support at the motor from some hobby grade ply and hold it with some glass cloth and epoxy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast