Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: BBY Micro Turbine Hydro for SSSH

I may have missed it in your thread, but does that motor/esc combo work with a pistol style radio? Or do you need a pistik? If so where can we get those as they are no longer available.
    Twin power =

Quote Originally Posted by ace028 View Post
    I may have missed it in your thread, but does that motor/esc combo work with a pistol style radio? Or do you need a pistik? If so where can we get those as they are no longer available.
    the mystery esc from ebay works fine with pistol tx
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

Cool thanks
    Twin power =

Things are coming together nicely with the MTH build. Joe Solinger has revised his rudder assembly, I have modified the drawings for the laser-cut frames, and the prototype is getting dialed in. I am seeing the same speeds as with the MHZ hulls, although cornering needs some work. I've increased the rudder throw and added a small non-trip to the inside of the right sponson.

I am about to order another run of frames for prototype 2. I moved the driveline 1/4" from centerline to counteract propwalk, raised the prop by 1/16" and improved the fit of the parts in the hull.

I still have two frames for prototype 1; one is assembled, the other is not. Anybody want one of these?

Default want a frame

If this is the bby, I would like the un assembled one if possible/

dan

yes you have a PM

Dan

Dos,

I only have the frames, not the hull. I will include the CF stuffing tube and a parts list for the other goodies.

yes, I have a built hull that I am redoing, I got the mystery motor/esc and I have batteries waiting.

you have a PM

dan

Quote Originally Posted by dostacos View Post
    you have a PM

dan
    PM not going through. I'll send you one.

PM received and reply sent.
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 08-05-2008 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jet View Post
    PM not going through. I'll send you one.

PM received and reply sent.
    and received, I look forward to seeing all ya'all Saturday, I might even bring my Mini Rio well you might need a little comedic interlude

Bring the MR and I'll bring the Geckos. That ought to be good for some laughs.

ah that would be as you SMOKE me?

No, not because of speed; but rather that would be because they are so entertaining. You know, a whole bunch of "Hey....Watch THIS!" followed by some stupid aquatic antics.

No, not because of speed; but rather that would be because they are so entertaining. You know, a whole bunch of "Hey....Watch THIS!" followed by some stupid aquatic antics.
    yes in 1999 the US government had the car companies put black boxes in all new cars. few people know of this. It is an ongoing study regarding fatal accidents. In most of the US the final words tend to be "OH GOD" or "CRAP"

in the south however, 97.8% of the time, the final words were "Here, hold ma beer and watch this...."

Dan

I know the old adage of “Change one thing at a time, then test to determine the impacts of that change.” Well, I am violating that rule…. again.

I am having issues getting the MTH to turn as well as the MHZ hulls. I have added a non-trip to the inside of the right sponson and increased the rudder throw to help cornering. As I look at the boat, there is another simple item I have been contemplating doing, but thought it was not necessary at the time for testing purposes.

Joe supplies his rudder un-sharpened, and I simply threw it on the boat and “went for it”. I wonder if that blunt leading edge on the rudder could have some impact on rudder effectiveness. Prototype #1 now sports a razor-sharp rudder as well as the other improvements aimed at better cornering.

Now, if tomorrow’s testing shows better cornering, it may be because of more throw, or because of a sharp rudder. I do still have an un-sharpened blade I could try out as well, but why? If it works, I am going to call it good. It looks like Mike (one of the founding SLOBS) will buy this hull for the cost of the parts (he gets a good deal, huh?), and I will start on prototype #2. I have all the parts except the “New and Improved” laser-cut frames. The drawings for the laser guy are ready to send out and I will order several sets again to amortize shipping and laser set-up costs over several frames.

Here is the bottom line on the boat. I have about $165 into it ready to run. That includes everything except the Tx and Rx. How cool is that?

I call it Fast, Cheap, and Out of Control.

Quote Originally Posted by dostacos View Post
    in the south however, 97.8% of the time, the final words were "Here, hold ma beer and watch this...."

Dan
    Jack, one of the SLOBS is from Mississippi. He tells me that when someone says "Hey, watch this!", you better. Because you may not get a second chance.

Joe supplies his rudder un-sharpened, and I simply threw it on the boat and “went for it”. I wonder if that blunt leading edge on the rudder could have some impact on rudder effectiveness. Prototype #1 now sports a razor-sharp rudder as well as the other improvements aimed at better cornering.

When I was making the rudders I contemplated the same thing. Other than the standard "sharp is good" I honestly don't know for sure how much difference it will make on a micro.

I looked back through some of your photo's and I didn't see a turn fin. Have you put one on?

Quote Originally Posted by J Solinger View Post
    I looked back through some of your photo's and I didn't see a turn fin. Have you put one on?
    Yes, I made one out of a piece of aluminum angle and a sheet of thin CF. You could make one with some of your existing design work. Just use the existing rudder mount piece and cut a slot in it for a turn fin instead of drilling a hole for the rudder pivot pin. Mounting plate and bolts would be the same. Modular design.

P.S. I received the new control arms. Thanks!!
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 08-08-2008 at 12:43 PM.

Cool, I was wondering if that rudder mount would fit in there. Good info.

Quote Originally Posted by J Solinger View Post
    Cool, I was wondering if that rudder mount would fit in there. Good info.
    I just checked the fit of my spare rudder on the #2 hull and all was good, with one suggestion: I would put a radius on the corners of the mount at the mounting holes. The vacuum-forming does not have sharp corners and the sharp corners on the mount would dig into the hull creating a stress riser.

Sounds like I need to order more parts soon.......

would 9am ish be a good time to show up? I will be bringing my camera with it's *!***!***!***!**ographic lens

Yeah, that would be a good time to *!***!***!***!**ograph the boats.

Yeah, that would be a good time to *!***!***!***!**ograph the boats.
    Bill
    Doesn't look like I will be making it tomorrow! Family gathering! But have new hull and all the fixin's on the way - Including some CF cloth for projects in the future.. Hopefully I will be up and running soon..
    Update Bill
    The little outrunner came today - Already have it mounted in the Gecko one little mod to do build the battery pack and off we go..
    Last edited by wf6h; 08-08-2008 at 06:31 PM.

Success!!

The MTH corners like it is on rails, and is equal to, or even faster than the MHZ boats without all the work of setting that fancy strut. The straight-shaft works just fine in these little models, and you can use battery placement to fine-tune the ride.

I raised the prop by 1/16" in the next drawings, but based on today, I may go back to the original depth before laser-cutting more pieces. I want to do more testing first, moving the balance point forward and getting some more weight off the prop.

any new video or pics of the boat running?
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

hard turns.....

WTG Dr Jet.

Let the record reflect that both the Dr Jet BBY hydro and the MHZ shovel are as fast as a raped ape

If you want a shovel that MHZ is flat beautiful and Dr. Jet's set up seemed to be just as fast.

they looked to be real close to the same speed. The lead changes seemed to be one driver going wide or long as the other kept it tight or shallow in the turns. {I suspect the results would be the same if they swapped boats }

Dr. Jet demonstrated the LACK of flex in his compared to my sealed hull with no inner supports {mine is totally empty}

and finally Dr. Jet sold me not only his glued frame BUT a hull to put it in too

Dr. Jet, dan

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast