Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
Results 451 to 478 of 478

Thread: BBY Micro Turbine Hydro for SSSH

  1. #451

    Default

    Thanks Jim that is what I was talking about.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

  2. #452

    Default

    I didn't get to run last weekend the winds were to high. Jim your motor looks good I'm going to build my cowl up for the shovel.

  3. #453

    Default

    Made the first run today. Everything went well. Now its time for paint.

  4. Default

    Well lets get some pictures up
    Peter Eells; Fun, and Helping others To Have Fun!!!
    http://rcboatsbypetere.blogspot.com/
    RC.Boats.by.Pete@gmail.com

  5. #455
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    UPDATE:

    After nearly a decade of doing something else, I've decided to get the BBY Micro Turbine on the lake. Just waiting for a modern radio to arrive in the mail.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

  6. #456

    Default

    Welcome back Dr Jet
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone – except God.”
    Billy Graham

  7. #457

    Default

    Cool!

  8. #458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jet View Post
    UPDATE:

    After nearly a decade of doing something else, I've decided to get the BBY Micro Turbine on the lake. Just waiting for a modern radio to arrive in the mail.
    It came out great! Nice to see the little boats still with a life.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

  9. Default

    I still drag mine out once and awhile my orange and black is like 9 years old but still hits speeds of up to 49.9 mph the last time out it was like 45.0, I have one on the work bench collecting dust and have been thinking about dragging it out and finishing it, it should even be faster.
    Peter Eells; Fun, and Helping others To Have Fun!!!
    http://rcboatsbypetere.blogspot.com/
    RC.Boats.by.Pete@gmail.com

  10. #460

    Default

    Man that is flying with a little boat. Bill had one doing 58MPH
    I lost my little pond so I do not run mine either. It has a little hacker motor in it actually a real long one. :-) I would run it in golden gate pond but never have the time. It is mostly a matter of energy at 69.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

  11. #461
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    Hey Randy, Good to see you are still around. I expect my 2S setup to be in the 30mph range, and I plan to post some videos (if it works....) I'm using a 2mm driveshaft and it is currently supported by a ball bearing at each end. I'm getting some wobbling in the shaft, so I plan to install an intermediate bearing to stop that wobble, so it will be a little while before I get it on the pond. Stay tuned.
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

  12. #462
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    Well, I finally ran the Micro Hydro. I had to go back through this post to see what motor I have (3850 Kv fan-cooled outrunner). Of course, this particular motor is no longer available, but there are countless others of the same size and Kv. I first tried it with a Graupner S-29 prop (29mmx1.6 pitch) with one of my old 2S packs. It was pretty ho-hum. Then I decided to put an S-31 on it to see if that would perk it up. I also swapped battery packs for a different 2S. I soon discovered that the first pack was way low on voltage. This thing literally flew. It was a bit of a challenge to keep it on the water. After retrieving the flipped boat, I went back to the S-29. It wasn't quite as fast, but it was 100% rock-stable. It cornered like a dream, was plenty loose on the straights and had absolutely no bad habits. This might be my favorite micro hydro of the bunch! This boat on 2S is about a quick as the Small Bolt is on 3S with a good prop, and the BBY hull has much better stability and handling.

    Next time I go to the pond, I'll see if someone will video it. It's a hoot! Kudos to Randy for a great design: Shallow tunnel. WIDE sponsons. Perfect!
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 12-04-2017 at 10:29 PM.
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

  13. #463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jet View Post
    Well, I finally ran the Micro Hydro. I had to go back through this post to see what motor I have (3850 Kv fan-cooled outrunner). Of course, this particular motor is no longer available, but there are countless others of the same size and Kv. I first tried it with a Graupner S-29 prop (29mmx1.6 pitch) with one of my old 2S packs. It was pretty ho-hum. Then I decided to put an S-31 on it to see if that would perk it up. I also swapped battery packs for a different 2S. I soon discovered that the first pack was way low on voltage. This thing literally flew. It was a bit of a challenge to keep it on the water. After retrieving the flipped boat, I went back to the S-29. It wasn't quite as fast, but it was 100% rock-stable. It cornered like a dream, was plenty loose on the straights and had absolutely no bad habits. This might be my favorite micro hydro of the bunch! This boat on 2S is about a quick as the Small Bolt is on 3S with a good prop, and the BBY hull has much better stability and handling.

    Next time I go to the pond, I'll see if someone will video it. It's a hoot! Kudos to Randy for a great design: Shallow tunnel. WIDE sponsons. Perfect!
    Well thank you. I can make more.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

  14. #464
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyatBBY View Post
    Well thank you. I can make more.
    Hey Randy, glad to see you're still around. I heard about your bike crash ( Ouch!!)

    I'm trying to resurrect the SLOBS (Santee Lakes Old Boaters Society) and the number of decent available micro hulls is limited. If I can stir up some interest, I'll let you know. I still have the files for laser-cutting the internal plywood bracing, so it would make building a fleet of them a breeze.

    By the way, did I mention my hull turned out as stiff as a board? That's one reason it handles so well and predictable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

  15. #465

    Default

    Not scale hydros, but there are Naviga Mini Mono, Mini Hydro, and Mini ECO classes now, so there are a bunch of sub 450mm stepped monos and outriggers, and sub 430mm flatties available from Europe and Asia.
    Paul "tug Killer" Upton-Taylor, Cat lover.
    FastElectricBoats.co.uk

  16. #466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jet View Post
    Hey Randy, glad to see you're still around. I heard about your bike crash ( Ouch!!)

    I'm trying to resurrect the SLOBS (Santee Lakes Old Boaters Society) and the number of decent available micro hulls is limited. If I can stir up some interest, I'll let you know. I still have the files for laser-cutting the internal plywood bracing, so it would make building a fleet of them a breeze.

    By the way, did I mention my hull turned out as stiff as a board? That's one reason it handles so well and predictable.
    Thanks, I still have the molds and Vacuum former's. I would not mind selling them too.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

  17. #467
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyatBBY View Post
    Thanks, I still have the molds and Vacuum former's. I would not mind selling them too.
    Hmmmm....... I wish there was a market for the little guys. It would be fun to get the Micro Hydro and the Micro Scat Cat out there again.
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

  18. #468

    Default

    Only a kid?
    If your mature enough to participate here, then you are plenty old to start a racing club.
    Just curious, but how old are you?
    I'm also a kid, born in 1969.
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

  19. #469
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by larryrose11 View Post
    Only a kid?
    If your mature enough to participate here, then you are plenty old to start a racing club.
    Just curious, but how old are you?
    I'm also a kid, born in 1969.
    Who said anything about being a kid??


    I'm a teenager born in 1950.......

    BTW, I have started a racing club: the Santee Lakes Old Boater's Society, but interest here is very limited.
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

  20. #470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jet View Post
    Who said anything about being a kid??


    I'm a teenager born in 1950.......

    BTW, I have started a racing club: the Santee Lakes Old Boater's Society, but interest here is very limited.
    I mis read how many dam pages were in this thread....from post #16:
    Quote Originally Posted by smm_cbf View Post
    ...i would lover to start a clone of what your doing , only in my area, but iv been getting kicked out of every lake lately. and im only a kid so i don't think i could make anything offical, only like fun get togethers...
    and I responded with :
    Quote Originally Posted by larryrose11 View Post
    Only a kid?
    If your mature enough to participate here, then you are plenty old to start a racing club.
    Just curious, but how old are you?
    I'm also a kid, born in 1969.
    sorry for the confusion....carry on teenagers.
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

  21. #471

    Default

    He’s not a “kid” any more, his post was well over ten years ago! In the future it will be much less confusing if you quote the post to which you are responding.


    .
    ERROR 604 - Caller's Buffer Is Too Small
    1. Ensure that your port is not configured to a mini plug
    2. If you are still having problems, contact someone

  22. #472
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    Jeeze, has it really been TEN years? Where does the time go?

    Regardless, the little things still run like a raped ape and I still think it's a hoot. The cool thing is you can put a finely-tuned race boat on the water for about the cost of an ESC in a 1/8 scale boat.

    No, you can't compete in NAMBA, APBA, or any of the other "alphabet" associations, but you can have more fun than a human being should be allowed to have.

    I suppose it's the same thinking that got me out of flying high-performance German-made fiberglass/carbon fiber sailplanes in favor of the lowly tube-and fabric Schwerizer 1-26. I have just as much (if not more) fun than the "big" guys at a small fraction of the price; AND I don't need nearly as much space to land it.
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

  23. #473
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,223

    Default A Conundrum of Epic Proportions

    As you all know, I’m a great fan of the micros. In a manner of speaking, I feel like I’m picking up the torch Trent Hare left off for someone else to carry. I have developed AutoCAD files to laser-cut parts for a 1/20 Atlas “Blue Blaster” based on Garry Finlay's plans and a 16” version of Jesse J’s modified Shockerman cat. Now comes the conundrum: Randy has offered me the molds for his line of micro hulls at a VERY REASONABLE price. The drawback is I’d have to drive from SoCal to the Bay Area to get them. Additionally, the designs are a bit dated by today’s standards, but the success of the Micro Turbine Hydro that is the subject of this thread is testimony that while dated, the design is still solid and dependable. The same applies to the Micro Scat Cat twin I built. It goes like a raped ape and handles like a dream.

    If I were to make this deal with Randy, it is patently clear that I would not just be building hulls for my personal use. Obviously, I’d want to sell some hulls to amortize my investment. I could combine laser-cut internal structure like I did for this build; I could incorporate the lower profile I did for my Micro Scat Cat build. I could spec out modern hardware (Steve sells much of it here at the OSE store), I could even come up with new molds for completely new designs in the future. So here’s a question I’d like to pose, and it’s the same question posed by Stinson68 in the Micro Forum:

    Would there be any interest in building “Old School” micros? I could do either all wood or vacuum-formed or both. If so, which would you prefer to build?

    Send me a PM, or if you think your response would be good to share with everybody here, feel free to respond to this post.

    Finally, I have a VERY SHORT window of opportunity to make this deal happen. Speak up NOW! You snooze, we all lose…
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

  24. #474

    Default

    I will sell this part of the line of BBY boats. I do have another friend that could pick them up. But it would be nice to have the plastic part of it stay in the USA. I Just turned 70tie and with a broken wing I will never be able to give this line the support it needs. Really up dating to today's standards will not take a lot of work. Plastic and wood framers will work great up to about 21 inches with today's power.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

  25. #475
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    I'm seriously considering it Randy and I'll give you a go-no go by next Sunday, the 20th.

    Come on boys and girls, let's hear some support and convince me to pull the trigger on this deal.
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

  26. #476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jet View Post
    I'm seriously considering it Randy and I'll give you a go-no go by next Sunday, the 20th.

    Come on boys and girls, let's hear some support and convince me to pull the trigger on this deal.
    That is good Bill I can wait till then. I have had a lot of support hear over the years, they will come just take time.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

  27. #477
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    Thanks Randy.

    I still have the AutoCAD files to laser-cut the internal formers for the turbine/picklefork hydro hull (similar to the structure in the old Classic Hydro 1/12-scale hulls) and it will be easy enough to modify them to work with the drop-sponson shovel-nose as well. With internal bracing, it should be possible to use the lighter plastic sheet to mold the hulls. That would save some weight and create sharper lines. I would also want to smooth out any imperfections in the molds if I used the lighter material.

    Steve here at OSE sells hardware suitable for the micros, and I'm sure I could get him to combine all the various bits together into one complete package. I will re-work the laser-cutting files to include motor mounts, servo mounts, and mounts for the recommended hardware. All this should make it a no-brainer to get one of these on the water in short order.
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

  28. #478
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    Well Randy,

    I tried. It sounded like a good plan and I had some great ideas to update the kits, but the silence here and on the Micro Forum tells me everything I need to know. I was excited about the possibility of re-breathing life into the micros, but if it doesn't run on 6S and/or fit into a specific NAMBA/IMPBA class, no one gives a rat's posterior about it.
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 01-14-2019 at 12:35 PM.
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •