Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blackjack 29 Blown Motor

Default Blackjack 29 Blown Motor

Hello Guys,

I have had this boat for more than a week so far and up until now I did not have any problems with it. I was running it on (2) 2S lipos and yesterday I received (2) brand new 3S lipos so today after work I went to the pond to test drive it on a 6S setup. It ran great for about 2.5 mins and when I was getting ready to bring it ashore for the first temp check it stalled in the middle of the pond and I heard something blowing up below the canopy. I first thought the lipos had exploded but after recovering the boat I found out the motor had blown up. I contacted Horizon Hobby customer support and they took notes of the incident and will be replacing my boat right away (Kudos to Horizon Hobby customer service)

P.S.: Before the incident I had noticed one of the batteries was getting hotter than the other when I was running it on (2) 2S so I don’t know if the issue could be ESC related. The only mod was a sharpened and balanced X440 /3 prop I was running on it everything else was stock.

Blackjack 29_Blown Motor_Pic4.jpgBlackjack 29_Blown Motor_Pic1.jpgBlackjack 29_Blown Motor_Pic2.jpgBlackjack 29_Blown Motor_Pic3.jpg
    Last edited by gyrotron; 11-07-2012 at 10:37 PM. Reason: added pictures

What a shame .. Is this boat rated to run 6s. I understand 'it can' but do proboat say 'go ahead' ? It must be pritty quick on 6s. my geico on 2000kv motor and 5s is just to much to enjoy it in a relaxing way :-)
    Drammen rock City

Quote Originally Posted by maxmekker View Post
    What a shame .. Is this boat rated to run 6s. I understand 'it can' but do proboat say 'go ahead' ? It must be pritty quick on 6s. my geico on 2000kv motor and 5s is just to much to enjoy it in a relaxing way :-)
    Hi Max,

This is what Proboat preaches on their website among other things:

Product Description
    Key Features
    Capable of reaching speeds of 50+mph

50+ mph will require a higher cell count (6S)

Needed To Complete

(2) 2S-3S Li-Po batteries or (2) 7.2V - 8.4V Ni-MH batteries with EC3 connector

States it will operate under the power load of (2) 3S Li-po = 6S

What they don't say is that the motor wire gauge and/or bullet connectors going to the ESC will not suppor that burst of current coming from a 6S cell count plus a 1800kv motor which doesn't help with cooling things (it was my 1st time running 6S so I did not know what to modify prior to running the boat). When I receive the replacement boat I will change the bullet connectors to 5.5mm and hope the cable wires don't burn again.
    Last edited by gyrotron; 11-10-2012 at 11:25 PM.

I see. I think I read about someone tipping PB about the wires on the motor woud not hold up on 6s. Give us a video when you got it up and running again :-)
    Drammen rock City

Quote Originally Posted by gyrotron View Post
    Hi Max,

This is what Proboat preaches on their website among other things:

Product Description
    Key Features
    Capable of reaching speeds of 50+mph

50+ mph will require a higher cell count (6S)

Needed To Complete

(2) 2S-3S Li-Po batteries or (2) 7.2V - 8.4V Ni-MH batteries with EC3 connector

States it will operate under the power load of (2) 3S Li-po = 6S

What they don't say is that the motor cables gauge and/or bullet connectors going to the ESC will not suppor that burst of current coming from a 6S cell count plus a 1800kv motor which doesn't help with cooling things (it was my 1st time running 6S so I did not know what to modify prior to running the boat). When I receive the replacement boat I will change the bullet connectors to 5.5mm and hope the cable wires don't burn again.
    P.S.: The 2.5 mins my Blackjack run on 6S, it easily broke the 50 mph barrier. It was faster than my Revolt 30 for sure.
    Last edited by gyrotron; 11-11-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Here are some pics of the clean up and new motor I will be testing on the burnt Blackjack while the replacement boat arrives. I picked up ad Turnigy SK3 EDF-3659-1900kv ($47.88), installed 6mm bullet connectors, removed the sticker and added a water jacket. Motor started fine on dry so I am guessing the ESC and electronics are fine too. I will give it a run tomorrow on 4S and 6S and report back about this motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have two of these motors, I am interested to know how you like it, have not tried mine yet, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LOVE6S View Post
    I have two of these motors, I am interested to know how you like it, have not tried mine yet, thanks.
    Sure, I will report back tomorrow. Canopy also burnt so I will be running it with tape on the windshield which has a hole in it. Lets see how this motor holds on running an x440 /3 prop.

what prop did you use when running 6s?
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by JimClark View Post
    In the OP it says he is using an x440/3

Quote Originally Posted by JimClark View Post
    Jim,

I was using the x440 /3 prop which I ran before on a 4s count.

Quote Originally Posted by maxmekker View Post
    I see. I think I read about someone tipping PB about the wires on the motor woud not hold up on 6s. Give us a video when you got it up and running again :-)
    Max,

I think we can tie this thread with one I just finished reading here is the link:

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...617#post465617

PB is definetly aware of the 6S issue and their motor

Yes they are aware! and im not got gonna back down with them about this..we sell these boats....we have a PB29 and an Impulse 31....both are nice hulls....nice hardware....both have motor wire issues...and the impulse has a flexshaft coupler issue too....Gyrotron even if they are replacing the motor/boat...if it still has tlhe small wires on the motor, its gonna blow again...
    They even tried to tell me that only the esc was 6S rated ... DJ

Quote Originally Posted by ;466433
    Yes they are aware! and im not got gonna back down with them about this..we sell these boats....we have a PB29 and an Impulse 31....both are nice hulls....nice hardware....both have motor wire issues...and the impulse has a flexshaft coupler issue too....Gyrotron even if they are replacing the motor/boat...if it still has tlhe small wires on the motor, its gonna blow again...
    They even tried to tell me that only the esc was 6S rated ... DJ
    olwarbirds,

I really love this boat design and I had high expectations on its 6S compatility which at the begining made me like it even more. The whole point of having an ESC that supports 6S is to really be able to run 6S w/o upgrading the motor and/or connectors because of PB claiming it was 6S compatible I choose to go that way. I am totaly disapointed about the whole 6S issue and it certainly did not meet my expectations in the 6S arena. For the overprice I paid I feel they should recall their motors from current owners and place a disclaimer on the use of 6S... PB either truly makes this Blackack 6s compatible or not; it starts to smell like a Traxxas boat everyone knows for a not so good reputation with 6S cell count...

At least I can consider myself lucky and happy because they are replacing my boat so in that regard I have to give kudos to Horizon Hobby customer support. They have been very supportive and helpful of my problem with this boat.

Well, on my way to the pond before football time!
    Last edited by gyrotron; 11-11-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Proboat has done the same thing Traxxas did with the spartan. That's just not a good reliable 6s set up. Especially for sport running. Even if you do get it running reliably the hull has a tendency to stuff badly at high speeds. I love my first gen but know its limitations.
    How many times will they replace the boat because if failed on 6s which it will again
    white geico w/2200kv 3674 leopard 53.5mph 4s2p, geico w/ 1800kv outrunner 52mph on 4s2p, genesis w/2200kv castle 53.8 on 4s2p, impulse 31 w/2200kv castle, stock p1 and ul-1

Amen ... enjoy and im glad to hear that your happy with the CS on this issue... Just to clarify ...it wasnt PB who said that the esc was only 6S rated it was CS dealer rep at HH ... I will keep yall advised on what results I get with this.... all the best ... DJ

Quote Originally Posted by stadiumyamaha View Post
    Proboat has done the same thing Traxxas did with the spartan. That's just not a good reliable 6s set up. Especially for sport running. Even if you do get it running reliably the hull has a tendency to stuff badly at high speeds. I love my first gen but know its limitations.
    How many times will they replace the boat because if failed on 6s which it will again
    Stadium,

You are correct the stock setup is not suitable for 6S configuration w/o mods and if you are lucky and motor do not burn, then it won't be for long.
    Last edited by gyrotron; 11-11-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LOVE6S View Post
    Loves6S,

Definetly give this motor a try with either the Miss Geico or the Blackjack 29. I think you won't be dissapointed.

Guys,

Report from the pond on the Turnigy SK3 EDF-3659-1900kv. For $47.88 this motor is a steal if its quality is as good as its power performance so far. The boat had better acceleration with the x440 /3 than it had with the stock motor; the added 100kv of this motor really gave some punch to the prop acceleration which I liked. Speedwise it was faster than the stock using a 4S setup and when I opened up the throtle it was lightning fast; much faster than the stock and still controlable. Temps as follows: Motor 101F, Batteries 86F, ESC 95F. Now on 6S this boat screams with this motor and I could not open it up full throtle w/o flying the hull; almost uncontrolable at full throtle. Temps as follows: Motor 111F, Batteries 94F, ESC 102F. At the moment I don't have a GPS to testify on the actual speed for the two cell counts I tested.

Conclusions so far: The Turnigy SKE EDF motor is a great upgrade if its quality holds up to its power (quality is yet to be determined). In terms of acceleration; this motor works very well with the x440 /3 prop. To me, this setup is great for added speed and acceleration running on 4S w/o compromising the stock ESC operation. I really like this setup on 4S and I will be running it from now on; I felt comfortable with the temp reads and initial acceleration and speed exceeded my expectations with a 4S cell count.

Currently charging my (2) 2S pack for a later run after the football game...
    Last edited by gyrotron; 11-11-2012 at 10:08 PM.

Proboat is a well known, and well respected company for making great boats. I dont think much testing was done on quality control when putting out the Blackjack 29. It clearly states on the box and in the manual, it can run on 6s, everyone can see it. Even my local HS said it was ok. Running a boat on 6s clearly needs beefy wiring, connectors, and atleast a 120 amp esc to be safe. And 1800 kv on 6s is just asking for trouble. I am almost finished rebuilding mine and will post pix later today. Anyone wishing to run this boat on 6s from factory should swap the motor for a 1500 kv. The factory 80 amp esc should handle that.

Quote Originally Posted by brg65 View Post
    Proboat is a well known, and well respected company for making great boats. I dont think much testing was done on quality control when putting out the Blackjack 29. It clearly states on the box and in the manual, it can run on 6s, everyone can see it. Even my local HS said it was ok. Running a boat on 6s clearly needs beefy wiring, connectors, and atleast a 120 amp esc to be safe. And 1800 kv on 6s is just asking for trouble. I am almost finished rebuilding mine and will post pix later today. Anyone wishing to run this boat on 6s from factory should swap the motor for a 1500 kv. The factory 80 amp esc should handle that.
    brg65,

What seems interesting/suspicious to me is that eventhough the release of the Bakcjack was delayed a lot, PB did not do the appropriate testing QC?, maybe they found this issue and had to delay the production while trying to find a solution/workaround. It's just my gut feeling on the issue.

Looking F ward to see some clips of that motor in action gyrotron. I have the Geico, and I have both a leo 2000 and a 2150 kv motor and on 4 s it's both fun and controllable.I cant imagen how the bj 29 is on 6s, fast as hell :-)
    I have my friends mystic also in the house and have driven that a few times, and it heaps better than my geico, runs better and much more easy to dial in, and get bounch free.

Drammen rock City

Us running a stock BJ 29 on 6S.....it handles great...as does the impulse on the same setup...we use 2 11.1v 5000mah 40c CRC lipos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZQmYMmJ3Sc

image.jpgimage.jpg

upgrades to my Blackjack 29

brg65,

That is a high end upgrade compaired to what I did. I went on a budget for my dead Blackjack. I am looking preferibly for a camerawoman to make a video of the boat running the Turnigy SK3 EDF.

Nice setup you got there!
    Last edited by gyrotron; 11-11-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Max,

Very nice runs. Where do you boat?

Jim,

I was using the x440 /3 prop which I ran before on a 4s count.

prop down.

GYROTRON,
    I am curious for my own knowledge, did you actually hear a "pop" and can you still turn the motor shaft? I want to know if the rotor disintergrated. It is odd to me that the motor should give out before the ESC. I have several ProBoat branded motors , they seemd to be really well made, although I never tried the 1800kv with 6s. I am very found of them, both the 1500kv & 1800kv.
    Now I don't want to say anything w/o personal experience, but when the current crop of boats came out sporting the "Dynamite" brand, I was not particularly jumping with joy. I had some Dynamite branded motors and ESCs for cars and my impression was they weren't first tier stuff. But I thought my concern was unfounded since I read from one post here stating that they are the same things just marked under a different brand/label.
    Therefore I want to know had this been an old Proboat 1800kv motor , would it have lasted longer?

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    prop down.
    Doby,

What three blade prop would you recommend?

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    GYROTRON,
    I am curious for my own knowledge, did you actually hear a "pop" and can you still turn the motor shaft? I want to know if the rotor disintergrated. It is odd to me that the motor should give out before the ESC. I have several ProBoat branded motors , they seemd to be really well made, although I never tried the 1800kv with 6s. I am very found of them, both the 1500kv & 1800kv.
    Now I don't want to say anything w/o personal experience, but when the current crop of boats came out sporting the "Dynamite" brand, I was not particularly jumping with joy. I had some Dynamite branded motors and ESCs for cars and my impression was they weren't first tier stuff. But I thought my concern was unfounded since I read from one post here stating that they are the same things just marked under a different brand/label.
    Therefore I want to know had this been an old Proboat 1800kv motor , would it have lasted longer?
    tlandauer,

Yes I did hear a pop before the boat stalled in the middle of the pond and the rotor is unable to turn.

tlandauer,

Yes I did hear a pop before the boat stalled in the middle of the pond and the rotor is unable to turn.
    Thanks for your reply! I hope you get your replacement soon, and also thanks for letting us know the other motor, always good to learn!
    Looking at the picture I wonder if the RPM increase from 6s disintergrated the rotor and locked the motor. Although that would have cooked the ESC, hopefully someone else might explain this further. I had an out runner burnt once because it got tangled up with water cooling tubes, the wire coating was blistered and turned into black soot! After it cooled down I could still run it! ---Of course I changed it right away but it was still able to turn! ( be powered ) It takes alot to burn a motor.
    Last edited by tlandauer; 11-11-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast