Thread: 1 year later

Default 1 year later

After a year with my spartan, I have made a few changes. New hull, old hull plows through the water. Cut almost 1 1/2" off the rudder, got new esc, Hydro Ice 200. Yes I know, over kill, but it keeps on running at full throttle, with no cut off. It's now November, and I will have to wait till next spring to run it at our trailer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

At least no smoke came out of anything.

Oh yeah. You should have seen the Castle Creation esc in melt down. The inside of the old hull was a not so nice brown. And yes the Smoke came pouring out.

Looking good, I also cut down my rudder (same one) and found that it runs just fine, maybe better with out the lower trim tabs. What is your preferred prop now? Still run 6s?

I found no matter what I did, Guys were running straight out of box better then I was. They were running the new version hull. So I got the newer version hull. So far I am using Aquacraft 42x55, works great. Oh yeah, always run 6s in my boat and my Slash 4x4. Or 1-3s in truck. I like to run on the edge.

AQ 42x55 is a bit smaller than the stock prop at 42x59

If you're happy with the performance, all good. But if you want to pick it up a bit you could run a bit larger prop on your setup. X442 is pretty much direct replacement for stock (42x58.8), or you could try something like an X642 (42x67.2) or X445 (45x63).

Larger diameters and higher pitch can add new challenges like more lift and more torque roll. But the prop options are there if you want to experiment with them.

Kevin

Hi Kevin. The 42X55 prop is very good. I also have 2 42X59 beryllium copper stock props, and I just ordered from Kintec Racing 2- 42X59 machined sharpened and balanced props. I am running the Hydro Ice 200 which could probably handle the x642 and x445, but I'm a little gun shy, because the x642 fried the original Castle Creation ESC. I also run the original motor with the nichel plated cooling jacket. As usual I appreciate your input. Thanks Al. P.S. I also run 6s batteries, although I can run 5s and 4s.

I hear you, I fried a T180 ESC running a prather 225 and 4074 2000kv on 6S. Ran like a banshee for about 3-4 runs, then smoked.

Everything has it's limits, and if you are having fun running as is, it's better t have long term reliability, than short term speed rushes.

Kevin

Well a 225 would fry T180 using a 2000kv motor! 2000kv on 6s = 44400 RPM which is pretty high, 225 would load the crap out of it I would think. I run the 225s on mine with the T180 and 1600kv motor and runs barely warm.

I like the bigger diameter props for pick up as I like using my Spartan for bashing in the ocean, I rarely do high speed runs. I find I get bored of glassy water and high speeds pretty quick. Overall my Spartan is good at exactly what I bought it for - Ocean running, taking out into the ocean while someone else is driving the full size boat is lots of fun. I have run it between islands up here in Howe Sound in chop - gets lots of funny looks from other boaters.

Thanks for the info. I have all the props 215, 225, x442,X642,x445,x447, etc. I hear you on calm water, which is very boring. It's more exciting with some chop. Living in Canada I will have to run new boat next year. Can't wait. Enjoy.

Where abouts in Canada are you? Ya its cold out and I don't have a recovery boat, I would just go to the beach in my swim shorts :P. I have two new props I have prepped i really want to try but its risky!!

Hi. I live far from an ocean, east of Toronto, Oshawa in the winter, South of Trenton in the summer. There are some of us that run our boats at a trailer park. There are many lakes, and bays. All of them give great water conditions, rough, to glass calm. As I said I like a little chop. Running in rough water the boats take a great pounding. The best thing I did was to buy the new version hull, runs better then the old version. The old version was too wet. Where are you, east coast, or west coast? Have fun.

Well lakes are idea for sure, I am in North Vancouver and am surrounded by Ocean. Its usually to rough depending on where I go so sometimes its tough. To find fresh water I have to go up to Squamish, which isn't to bad but I only get to do as many runs as I have batteries then .

Yeah lots of batteries sure help. Good job we have rc trucks or cars for bad weather conditions. but sure would like to get my boat in the water. Good things are worth waiting for. Now it is November, and the water will be getting hard.