Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2013 Az Winter Warmups IX February 22nd-24th

I am so envious of you guys! Logistically things just weren't possible for this year but I'm thinking next year!

I guess it's just an example of the news media making a mountain out of a mole hill. The local news here would have you believe that you guys had a blizzard come through.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDuc View Post
    The local news here would have you believe that you guys had a blizzard come through.
    For the Valley of the Sun, one snowflake IS a blizzard.

Just got home from work, blowing the cob webs off the boats. They haven't been in the water since last years Winter Warmup! Now that is dedication at its finest! I anticipate on getting my butt kicked, but will have a great time at the event.

A special thank you to the guys that made the commitment to travel to our race this year. Tyler, Tony and Jim from the So Cal area and Howard, Dan, Lee, Doug and Sean from the midwest/north. We had another great event this year, with only a few weather related set-backs. Friday we found ourselves during most of Round 2 with a wind-shift that made for a pond full of debris/crap from the previous flood/rainstorm and Sunday was down-right windy! Very sporty conditions, but we forged ahead and had a great day of racing. Fortunately, we realized that our trigger fingers actually work and we probably had less DNF's than on Saturday (which was picture-perfect).

The competition was spectacular and the vibe was solid. More later once I get caught up on a few things...

Default Results

Here's the results from the event:

P Offshore
    1. Dave Newland
    2. Ted McKay
    3. Pete Wijatyk

P Limited Mono
    1. Ted McKay
    2. Sean Kewley
    3. Jim Osborne

P Sport Hydro
    1. Sean Kewley
    2. Dave Newland
    3. Jim Johnson

P Limited Hydro
    1. Dave Newland
    2. Lee Simonson
    3. Tyler Garrard

P Limited Offshore
    1. Dave Newland
    2. Sean Kewley
    3. Lenny Blake

P Limited Catamaran
    1. Pete Wijatyk
    2. Howard Tucker
    3. Gary Rose

P Limited OPC
    1. Howard Tucker
    2. Pete Wijatyk
    3. Dave Newland

LSH
    1. Doug Peterson
    2. Dave Newland
    3. Jim Osborne

1/6th Crackerbox
    1. Dick Roberts
    2. Kim McKay
    3. Gary Rose

1/10th Scale Hydro
    1. Leonard Feeback
    2. Ted McKay
    3. Gary Rose

P Mono
    1. Dave Newland
    2. Jim Osborne
    3. Ted McKay

1/10th Hydro Concourse
    Dick Roberts

Racers Concourse
    Tyler Garrard

Rat Rod Concourse
    Gary Rose

High Points
    Dave Newland

Mr. Amps
    Doug Peterson

Mr. EPA
    Sean Kewley

Mr. Consistency
    Gary Rose

My apologies...I left out Leonard Feeback and Don Ast from SoCal who also made the commitment to attend our race! Egg on my face, guys. Thanks for making it!

Default Videos from the Race

I'll be loading and posting videos as the day goes on.

P-Sport Hydro Heat; Sean's Ducati Whip gets the good start :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rB2nrqEaMs

Another P-Sport Hydro Heat - Late afternoon with lots of glare from the sun - Sean again looking good ; Tyler gets the "Whoops" Award

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giN0xQeA8RE

P-Ltd Sport Hydro Heat - David gets the start, holds lane one & won't let Sean inside, wins by a nose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C09_7HmMqw

P-Ltd OPC heat in high wind and crazy chop looking for all the world like a scale Tugboat porpoise-fest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m1z5hbQplA

P-Mono Heat - Dave cuts a buoy on the start, pours it on to make up the one-lap penalty; Doug P. gets the lead and flips; Ted cruises into first

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl7ik2fnUqo

A Few Pictures :

Delta Force Pilots Pete , SMB prospect, Ted, David, Jim, Sean

WW IX007.jpg

Last known location of my FE30 P-Sport Hydro with one-legged FE cadaver dog doing his best (unsuccessfully)

WW IX005.jpg
    Last edited by properchopper; 02-27-2013 at 02:34 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

darn tony sorry to see no skiffs....its the funnest boat racing around
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

It was great meeting all of you. It’s nice to put some faces to the screen names.

Tony,
    Nice job on the videos and pics. It’s wonderful to have some footage as a keepsake from this event. The AZ club really went out of their way to make us travelers feel welcome. The club provided us with tables, chairs, water, Gatorade, generators, power strips, lunch, pop up tents, you name it!!! AMAZING!! THANKS GUYS!

A special thanks to Allen, a new member of the AZ club, for all of his help to the WI crew.

Some lessons I learned from the AZ race.
    ------------------------------------------------
    #1. Always have a backup of your favorite heat racing prop. I lost mine on the first day due to floating debris, and my whip wasn’t the same after.
    #2. Turnigy 120 ESCs need an extra cap bank. 3 of us lost the capacitors on them during low throttle racing. They work great for full throttle racing, but if you have a REALLY windy day that requires multiple laps with half throttle or less… Look out.

After a few years away it was good to see everyone again and meeting others who have joined in the fray. It may have turned into more of a "Winter Blow Out" on Sunday instead of "Warm Ups", but it was still a blast. Thanks to Dave and the rest of the crew for hosting a fun weekend of racing.

I never got time to shoot pictures or video so I was glad to see that Tony caught some of the antics. In the wind-blown OPC heat you can see my boat take flight in front of the drivers stand only to submerge for a few seconds. From the stand we were watching a trail of bubbles as it played submarine and scooped up some muck from the bottom before it shot back up.

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    darn tony sorry to see no skiffs....its the funnest boat racing around
    Ron, I brought mine to see if Me & Pat could have a fun/grudge race but his wasn't ready. Two Crackerbox racers, Gary and Dick said they'd be intetrested in JS's so we'll see what happens next year. It's a shame that more people aren't getting on the JS bandwagon, I'm with you in that these are SO MUCH FUN !
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post

P-Ltd Sport Hydro Heat - David gets the start, holds lane one & won't let Sean inside, wins by a nose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C09_7HmMqw

WW IX005.jpg
    Newland is a tough nut to crack. He doesn't get nervous when you're on his tail. I love it when the racing is this close.
    Attached Images Attached Images

...but a 1st place in P-Ltd Sport Hydro or P-Sport Hydro has alluded me for a few years now. You and that Peterson character had me covered in each of those classes.

I wonder what I'm going to have to do for next year....Hmmm.

Hopefully we will keep you wondering ;-)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234