Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Michigan Cup 2013 (June 28,29,30)

Hey Jay didn't you do the same thing last year and missed our P Shootout?

Jay's picture was on a milk carton...the border guards saw it and wouldn't let him across.....

no, I just plain old didn't sign up last year, mostly cause Doby was going... lol

Pictures on a milk carton are for missing people that you want found! Post office 'wanted' posters are for the undesirables! LOL!

Was reveiwing the race line up. Kind of curious - where did all the big and open class popularity come from? Our WI group has focused on racing P-Limited classes because that is what everyone was doing and wanted to do. Going to be a tough sell to drive this distance for a limited number of classes and heats. shuwoooooosh - sound of wind leaving my sails.

Doug
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

Man UP! 7 Classes you can cover. The only thing they are missing is P Spec Hydro and you don't have one. Believe it or not the Canadians and the East Coaster have some big stuff. P-Limited OPC, P-Limited Offshore, P limited Sport Hydro, P-Limited Mono, P Mono, Plus enter your P Mono in Open Mono. Open Offshore with your P-Mono. That thing is a Rocket.
    Last edited by photohoward1; 03-07-2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Brain Fart!

I love this lineup!!!! big stuff, little stuff, the open classes will be a site to see!!!! Mine and howards open hydros are definitely 2 of the best FE "racing" riggers in the country and doug has my older boat with a bigger faster motor that will be a beast. Hopefully terry or the other Q-sport guys will run their Q-sports in OPEN hydro!!!???? There is plenty of P-spec stuff in the lineup, the thing that makes it nice is the way the classes are spread out over the 3 days only sunday will I be running 4 classes, 3 on Fri 2 on sat, it will make for a really great race weekend, with time to mingle and BS and enjoy all that the ELKS and MMEU will be providing for us!!!! BTW if you havent been to this venue you are in for a real treat this place ROCKS!!!! Onsite elks lodge with air cond, power, full bar, pool tables, banquet hall, and food and refreshments. I am psyched!!!!! allready have signed me and my daughters up!!!!
    We call ourselves the "Q"

LOL Howard. I guess I am having the brain fart. I assumed the trend for these race venues was towards running many heats with P-Limited classes. That is what most the guy's that I am associated with have done. Example - the Arizona race. Two years ago Michigan had this. I assumed the trend was to continue.

Not asking anyone to change or saying Michigan is wrong. Just saying I am confused.

This venue provides me with 3 classes Friday. 1 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday. P-Mono is for maniacs. My hull is for P-Offshore. As for Open, I won't put a 34 inch hull in open. Like everyone else we each have to weigh out the cost/time/pleasure ratio when choosing these venues.

Doug
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

there is P-limited cat too Howard???!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DPeterson View Post
    LOL Howard. I guess I am having the brain fart. I assumed the trend for these race venues was towards running many heats with P-Limited classes. That is what most the guy's that I am associated with have done. Example - the Arizona race. Two years ago Michigan had this. I assumed the trend was to continue.

Not asking anyone to change or saying Michigan is wrong. Just saying I am confused.

This venue provides me with 3 classes Friday. 1 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday. P-Mono is for maniacs. My hull is for P-Offshore. As for Open, I won't put a 34 inch hull in open. Like everyone else we each have to weigh out the cost/time/pleasure ratio when choosing these venues.

Doug
    Gives you lots of time to pit for others.....you better show up....I want another crack at that pesky OPC of yours.

Doug doesn't have a P Limited cat. I am already signed up. He is just pissed because I won OPC in Arizona.

Sorry Doug, the schedule was an attempt to provide somthing for everyone. Some guys like to run more than spec. You also have to remember. There will be more spectators than racers at some points. Just running spec at a Michigan Cup would be like going to a super bowl to watch two hand touch.

As for the fun factor.....surely you know there is more fun to be had at a Michigan cup than just the laps. Nayman and I may be giving lap dances before morning. Haines is bringing his disco ball. That there's high quality entertainment.

Hey Terry. I get the something for everybody thing. The ratio of 8 open classes to 5 limited classes threw me into a dizzy. With the amount of traveling our group has done the last few years, we have not come across a venue that had more open than limited. I would love to run some quality set ups. Most everything I got has been shelved due to nobody running the classes. Got a P-Offshore hull yet. Your not running it. Guess I am not familiar with the East Coast clubs. Thought I knew what the Canadians run as we have run with them.

I guess we will be coming for the fun factor as it won't be for the racing. :) However - I'll pass on the lap dances.

Doby - The official OPC target has been placed on Howards back. My pesty OPC has been retired - a champion no less. :)

Later - Doug
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

What would you have us do Doug? Just run spec classes more times? We have 15 classes. 7 of those are P limited and/or spec classes. One of the 8 open classes is still only 4s. Would it be better if we dropped a higher cell class so it was 7 and 7? I don't get it.

I guess we could have added in crackerbox and jersey skiff so we have more spec classes. Maybe some 10th scale vintage and modern. Make it no open classes. Throw spec hydro back in and we could have 12 spec classes. Let all those annoying high performance open classes vanish from the lexicon entirely.

Doug,

I'm glad that you guys are coming. I'll be there. I'm also hoping that I can get my good friend Tom Costello to come with me.

Jay

Hey Terry

I am not and would never ask you guys to change anything for your race. You guys do a heck of a job.

I am just trying to un-confuse myself. A few years ago I began to follow the group of racers (a large group) that decided that open classes became too expensive to run and then heavily promoted the P-Limited classes. So I rebuilt my fleet to participate. The last few venues I have been to were great. Large numbers of racers running P-limited and running alot of heats. I guess I followed the wrong group. I am done chasing the class flavor of the day thing and that leaves me with pursing venues that offer alot of P-Limited racing. Nothing personal.

Jay - More than likely I will be going out of allegiance to Jeff and Sean. However I now have the NAMBA Nats in my sites and I don't know if I can do two large venues in a Month due to some big business projects I have going. We'll see.

Doug
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

On a different note. The Canadians lost there pond.

The nationals is a bunch more than limited. I would never fault anyone for wanting to hit the nats. It's about the competition level and testing yourself against the best in the country.

I get it. I don't think of "open" P boats as being off the charts. More than limited boats but not crazy pricey. Q is borderline depending on how nuts you want to go. You can still do Q on a budget with Leopards and Turnigy. The prices have come down on all this stuff we run. I can get a pair of 65c 10s/3300's for under $250 delivered. 32 Nimh 3300's matched with good number used to run $350 plus wires, bars and shrink and I had to assemble them. One bad solder joint.........bzzzsht. Overheat one with the hammerhead.......killed. Then they would come out of the boats blistering hot. Get everything just right and they'd be solid for one race weekend if you pushed hard. ugh

We have promoted P limited here in MI but not because we gave up entirely on the big boats. Limited classes are still where it's at to promote the hobby. All but one of our regular club classes is limited or spec. Almost half of our Cup classes are spec. The Michigan Cup has always been about the mix though. That and the show. Since I can remember at least. You could almost argue that all the big electric classes (at least in NAMBA) started here in MI with the Cup races. I'm sure others were doing it to but the additions to the rule book came from here. Started back with "Unlimited" offshore. 4 minutes on 19+ Nicd's. Yikes. These guys were running 1/8 scales at the Michigan Cup in 2004/05 before anyone believed it was possible let alone IN the rulebook.

I hope you can make it Doug. It would just be wrong if you were missing. Based on who I know is coming you will get some of the best competition in NA at our race. As good as the NATS? Maybe. Maybe not. Hard to match that kind of skill pound for pound. Definitely top rate though. We'll have to watch the sign ups.

Plus we have fireworks and a live band. I know.....not racing.

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    On a different note. The Canadians lost there pond.
    Off the 401 there? That sucks.

That is not entirely correct, yes it seems the London site will turn into a strip mall ...... now thats a kick to the pills!!! NLMBC still Has two ponds for gas and electric , one of which our Northern Lights Open will be held at. All fuel classes welcome, 4 boats make a class.

when will the northern lights be????

They have it listed as July6-7 the weekend after the Michigan Cup.
    :canada

Hey Jack;

You and Brian going to Michigan?

Since the fun governer deleted the pick on Terry thread I would like to invite you all up to MI to take shots at me face to face. It'll be fun. I promise to take my meds.

Fun governor?? Did I just get a promotion???
    I guess I could open it back up and move it to off topic if it means that much to you.
    Would you like me to change the title to "pick on Terry Davis"?
    At your beckoned call sir!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Deleting threads? Re-titleing threads? Moving threads around for conveniece or for steering agendas?

History can very well repeat itself. Notice how dead RRR is?

What exactly was derogatory in the thread? Selective censorship is not a good direction to take this forum.

Doug
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

Good lord Mr. Peterson!! Let me fix that for you!!!!!!
    I'll take it off of the Q&A so you guys can have at it!!!!

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...19-Terry-Davis

HAHAHA Nice Doug. There's that hint of controversy we all thrive on.

Default SV 27 class rules

Hey Terry,
    No controversy intended here.
    Where can I find a set of SV 27 rules for your race.
    No hair splitting just want to know the restrictions, like
    are we running the stock plastic props, turn fins etc.
    This may help us with our upcoming race rule-set too.

Ok the big question ?? This one is for Pags....
    What is the gentlemen's agreement that we will need to self
    impose on our pit curfew time. I'm thinking maybe 7pm or
    something like that. Otherwise, you know how we are about
    working to insane hours on the boats. And I was hoping to
    donate generously to the ELKS at the club. Terry promised
    to dance for strangers if we can get him liquored up enough.

Please Reply,
    Ken
    TenShock Brushless / Pro Marine
    NEU Motors / Rico Racing/ Castle Creations
    2023 NAMBA & 2018 IMPBA FE High Points "National Champion"

I'll dig them up but for the Cup we intend to be a bit more lenient this year in regards to the SV class as our local racers points wont count towards their season points. The idea was that it could free them up to try something else if they wanted. It will basically be B&S 4255's with no nutty mods. Just cleaned and balanced. Then 4200 mah batteries.

For our club points we allow very little modification to the boats. Any mods have to be approved by the group that runs the class. Even then it won't be on a whim. The idea is to keep them as close to out of the box as possible so that if a new guy gets one his performance (in theory) will be exactly the same as everyone elses. We don't even allow changing the coupler. AQ has been really reponsive to problems we've found with the boats which to be honest have been minimal. Mostly shafts going wonkey. We'll get you a copy of our SV class rules so you can peruse them.

The problem with the PAG man is that between him and his girls they run a pascillion classes a day. Takes half the night to get ready for tomorrow. On Saturday we'll have to let the fire works guys do their thing to get the barge out on the drink. So we wont be running boats till dark.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast