Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Michigan Cup 2013 (June 28,29,30)

Default The Michigan Cup 2013 (June 28,29,30)

Hey gang,

We have an official date. Wahoo!

We haven't come up with a class list yet but I wanted to make sure everyone knew early that there was truly going to be a Michigan Cup race next summer. It's safe to assume all the spec stuff will run and then we'll sprinkle in some big boat nonsense like the Cup races of old. Scale, open mono, open offshore. Not too many places to race an FE scale these days.

It will be at the Elks club again in Leonard, MI. Open water June 27 and racing June 28,29,30.

3 days of debauchery

Food available on site

Camping available on site (no hookups)

Built in banquet hall

Some very gracious hosts too. The Elks so enjoyed our racing nonsense in 2012 that they are planning to enter some races themselves next year. How cool is that!

We're expecting some serous competition and some serious hooligans too. I mean PAGS and I will be there fore sure so..............hooliganery covered. There is even talk of a few guest CD's that will keep us all playing nice. Names most of you would recognize. I'll confirm that when they confirm (it's early).

Just so you guys know how we ended up with this date. We wanted to make sure that anybody that wanted to bring kids was able to so it had to be after school got out and before they went back. For sure, bring the kids. There's a 99.999% chance of there being a kids class. Then we also wanted to dodge the local race events and the Gold Cup in Detroit. Ugh. It's lot of shuffling. The date is totally Midwest driven.

Anyway, keep your eyes peeled for this one. It's a destination you'll be talking about for years.

If you can't get to any other travel races in 2013 be sure to get to this one. Start working on your wives early. Bring them too. Heyyyyy.........what about a wives class? hehehe Have to think on that one. It could work. Don't a be a hater.

This will surely be the most fun allowed by law.

Hmmmm...more Michigan trophies to take home again next year...Hmmmm...I'll see if I can make more room in the ManCave for them by then...

John, you can have all the trophies you want sir. You'll have to win em first though.

You should be able to test your skills for sure. If you win a class at this gig you will have really done something. Our guys are no slouches but I also have verbal commitments from some serious competition.

You guys could put together a team to go after the actual Michigan Cup too. Ava will have to broom it out of her bedroom so we can compete for it. She may not want to part with it so she'll be trying to win it too so she can take it back to NY.

..........am I too excited for this early? Better pace myself.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post

You guys could put together a team to go after the actual Michigan Cup too. .
    Explain Please...

Open everything! Mono Cat. Hydro and sport hydro. I'm in!

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Explain Please...
    Not sure exactly how we'll do it but in the past we used a 3 racer format. I think we did 4 guys once. 2005....ish. Basically each guy picks 3 points classed with no overlap. So a 3 man team covers 9 classes. Then we add up their points. Most points takes the Michigan Cup home with them.

The original cup is still missing in action. Some have speculated that it's in Cuba but nobody is certain. The year that we were unable to retrieve it the Rummies built one out of tape, a 2 liter pop bottle, and a foam take out box. It was fantastic and fitting IMO. Unfortunately it was also fragile and so was temporary. So we came up with a new one. It's not as glorious as the foamy but that's not the point. The last time we competed for it the Rummrunner Team took it back to the east coast with them where it's been ever since. It's at the PAGS compound.

Howard, I want to see the big riggers run too if we can get enough. I know of 3 already (verbals again) so it should be a go. With the wind protection and the size of that lake we should be able to lay down some sick laps. Maybe we can get Douggie to come too with that kind of bate. Last summer he was pretty baked so he missed the Shootout. Too many races. Not sure what he has planned for 2013. I'll check into that. There's a guy from Florida with an obnoxious T rigger too. He's one of those verbals but I got the impression that he would be here if we were having it on Christmas day.

Team Dairy Air will need a list of local modeling agencies to call through for our umbrella girl selection

Team Dairy Air? bahaha Didn't see that post before.

Get this. More unconfirmed debauchery. A very large bird......with antlers.....tells me there is a strong possibility of there being real deal honest to goodness fireworks on Saturday night after racing. These guys are as crazy as I am.........almost.

OK "Bubblegum Racing" is definitely ALL IN!!!!!! did you say BIG RIGGERS!!! I have a surprise for everyone in that category!!! This ones BIG and NASTY!!! 58" with 21HP!!! Open cat, open offshore!!! SCALE!!!! hey terry is it OK if I run 8 classes???
    We call ourselves the "Q"

Sweet Mike. It wouldn't be right without the Paganelli tribe here.

If all goes as planned I'll have something psychotic for scale in the water. I'm still working on a new rigger too. Need to drop the plug off at my glass guys place this week. Might not be fast it willllllll be purty. I want to put it in the Toldeo show.

Of course you can run 8 classes. You might want to bring a pit slave though. If the girls are running 4 classes you might get behind. We wont be able to slow up fer noth'n.

I just recieved another note from a large bird in Florida that wants to make the trip. He's brow beating his minions into coming as I type. This race is threatening to move from fun to obscene............just the way uh huh uh huh I like it. hahaha I really should seek professional help.

Bring on Open CAT! I will have one for you too!

Howard, is this the one we talked about? Drop the big ponnies in there. Even if it doesn't win it's worth it just to hear people say "holy crap!......how is that even possible?"

Yep!

Oh shat, that sounds like twin Lehners !!
    I'm in for p-mono, T mono, P-sport hydro, T- sport hydro, T- rigger. Already have an awesome cabana girl. Glad I don't have to troll for one like Dairy Air. Is someone gona drag Alan N. out to race for this gig ?

Cheers, Jay M

bring on all them BIG cats, My little SC .40 is ready for whatever you got!!!! Oh and Terry THAT REALLY IS MY OFFSHORE SETUP!!!!!!

hey terry if you can dig up all the names and teams that have won the Cup I would like to get plaques on the cups base with all those winners names and the years if possible. I think we bring this thing to a higher level!!! OH and BTW Bubblegum racing wants to be a BIG sponsor!!!

Nobody kept track of that Mike. Sorry. We were once even more rag tag than we are now. The Rummies won it more often than not. Fine was in the hunt year after year. Then there was a really really good Fuller Team in 05 with Dick Crowe. MMEU has a legitimate shot at this year I think. The tricky part is having 3 buddies that can cover 9 different classes. We all run the same classes because we run together all the time.

We'll talk about the sponsorship thing. I haven't even cooked up a budget yet for this puppy. We're planning to get together with the Elks early January to start the full court press. So to speak. There are wheels in motion already though.

There is talk of an Elks high point champion award that would stay in a case at the lodge with the names off all the champions from year to year. These guys are talking about doing this for years to come. They really are good people out there. They're a LOT of fun too. Still bugging me to become a full fledged member of their organization.

If I get doug and chris to come out we will be pretty tough too!!!! I am allready prepping the boats!!!!!! Scale, open mono & hydro!!! Open OFFshore!!! those are some of my favs!!!! I'll bring the cup and make sure its all nice and shiny!!!!! I'm assuming along w/ P-spec there will be P-mono hydro and offshore??? I hope.

Not sure on P hydro. Depends on how much we end up with each day.

Sure would be great to see Chris again. Haven't seen him since 2006. Him and I on the same stand might shake it to bits though.

Picked up my scale last night. Yikes. They're big.

I'd love to show, but the date is way too close to our Electric Nationals.

Michigan is fun!
    Have a great race!

Sorry Will. We were dodging all the races here in the Midwest and the Gold Cup down on the Detroit River. That's kind of big deal here too.

It's 3 weeks between our gig and yours but I get it. Two majors in a month is tough. Not many can do it like Douggy. He's an RC lunatic.

Next summer maybe. This site does not have a beach front so no guys in banana hammocks to avoid like the last time you were up.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Sorry Will. We were dodging all the races here in the Midwest and the Gold Cup down on the Detroit River. That's kind of big deal here too.

It's 3 weeks between our gig and yours but I get it. Two majors in a month is tough. Not many can do it like Douggy. He's an RC lunatic.

Next summer maybe. This site does not have a beach front so no guys in banana hammocks to avoid like the last time you were up.
    Douggie's doin' both?? Kiiller..
    I think any guys who were planning to come to the nats are capable of both.
    I could, but I'm helping throw the nats. At the same time the MC is a chance for guys who don't nesecarily want to afford the trip to our nats to race at a national level.

Ha Haa! I liked the site you guys had us at when you threw the nats, if you've found a better site then it must be a good one..

I don't know what Doug has planned for 2013. Haven't talked to him since July maybe. I swear I remember him doing the IMPBA nitro nats, the NAMBA nitro nats and then the FE nats last summer. For the FE nats they lost his boats in shipping. I would have been a vegetable after that.

Either race will be a better race having him attend. I wouldn't put it passed him to hit both the nats and the MC. Either way I wont be put out because.....well......I git it. It ain't personal.

I really like the Spring Mill pond site from the 09 NATS too but it's a pain in the aaiiiiiiiiiish to race there. Natives get too restless. Which of course I respond really well to if you recall......not so much.

. For the FE nats they lost his boats in shipping. I would have been a vegetable after that.

[/QUOTE]

Yes that was a very unlucky break for him.
    They threw together a few boats for him and he still was a top contender and a class act!
    Did it with one hand tied behind his back : )

Doug and I will NOT be attending the Nats this year, just too much goin out there, there is so much racing for us FE and Nitro and gas here on the East coast and a little west that travelling to Ca. 2 years in a row is just too much, especially with us running 12+ classes. I wishi I could but just not gonna happen.

Don't tell anyone, but I heard a rumor that there might be Smock sighting at this event..............

John, shhhhhhhh..............don't tell anyone but I may have started that rumor.

Better bring your camera just in case. That would be like a big foot sighting ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDuc View Post
    Better bring your camera just in case. That would be like a big foot sighting ;-)
    There's an old masonry shed down the hill. We should lock him and Peterson in there just for fun.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast