Thread: Geico Offset Rudder???????

Default Geico Offset Rudder???????

Just wondering what everyone is useing to offset their Geico rudders. Looks like a Mystic or Impulse bracket???

Go to Kintec Racing, they make a bracket to off set the rudder on the Geico for $18.75.

very nice!! Thanx martin

Quote Originally Posted by steinersamuel View Post
    Just wondering what everyone is useing to offset their Geico rudders. Looks like a Mystic or Impulse bracket???
    Go to a Metal Store and have them cut you a 1" long piece of 2" Box Aluminum Cut one side long enough for the strut and the other approx. 1-1/4" long like this. You will need to drill 3 holes after the hacksaw & file treatment. Might cost you all of $2.00.

This works far better than my home made Kintec version. It leaves the prop wash un-impeded (sp)

Ooops, thats the old Pic where it's interfering with the prop wash. I'll uplaod another if you wish.

Very easy to do, far better performance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by steinersamuel View Post
    Sorry to interrupt, I'm brand new to the hobby and have just purchased the MG29 with dual 5000 milliamperes Venom LiPo's and am trying the wrap my mind around all the upgrades and various set ups. I keep noticing on the forums a lot of people are using offset rudders. What is the benefit to installing one, and should I consider this??

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks
    Miss Geico 29BL. www.freightcom.com for all your shipping needs

Offset rudder gets the rudder out of the prop's line of thrust. Rudder inline will cut speed in corners (rudder blocks prop line of action). Some say that the offset rudder will help with the "bounce", too. I didn't notice much difference. Changing the strut height and prop made the most difference for me. Offset rudder won't turn as "quick" as inline rudder ... I almost put my MG up on the bank of the pond the first time I ran it with the offset rudder. I bought, and installed, an offset rudder assembly from the new BJ29. Mystic offset rudder is different because they relocated the steering servo and steering rod, specific to the Mystic. MG29 and BJ29 have the same steering servo exit location on the transom, and the rudder assemblies are directly interchangeable.

For those of you with a Miss Geico, the new hardware for the BlackJack 29 should retrofit almost directly back onto the MG. It's been redesigned from the Mystic and now is much closer to my original offset hardware design that I intended for the Mystic. Should work great as an upgrade to the stock MG hardware... I have a set on the way to put on my MG as well...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by bob_t View Post
    Offset rudder gets the rudder out of the prop's line of thrust. Rudder inline will cut speed in corners (rudder blocks prop line of action). Some say that the offset rudder will help with the "bounce", too. I didn't notice much difference. Changing the strut height and prop made the most difference for me. Offset rudder won't turn as "quick" as inline rudder ... I almost put my MG up on the bank of the pond the first time I ran it with the offset rudder. I bought, and installed, an offset rudder assembly from the new BJ29. Mystic offset rudder is different because they relocated the steering servo and steering rod, specific to the Mystic. MG29 and BJ29 have the same steering servo exit location on the transom, and the rudder assemblies are directly interchangeable.
    Thanks Bob.

If I understand you correctly then the benefit to the offset rudder is to improve speed in corners, as well as maybe help to control the "bounce"?

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around why I would want to add this mod to my boat. Maybe I will once I run it for the first time. It's been sitting on my shelf for the last month waiting for her maiden voyage and its killing me starring at a frozen lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    For those of you with a Miss Geico, the new hardware for the BlackJack 29 should retrofit almost directly back onto the MG. It's been redesigned from the Mystic and now is much closer to my original offset hardware design that I intended for the Mystic. Should work great as an upgrade to the stock MG hardware... I have a set on the way to put on my MG as well...
    Darin,

Can you please post pics once you have completed the modification?

Here is a picture of my MG29 with the BJ29 offset rudder assembly installed. It was a direct "remove and replace". You will need to buy the BJ29 rudder pushrod for the steering servo, too, its about 1" shorter than the MG29 pushrod. Its about $5. The BJ29 rudder sits closer to the transom than the MG29 inline setup. Honestly, for just playing in my local pond, which is all that I do (I don't plan on racing it), I like the "tighter", more precise steering of the inline rudder better than how the boat responds with the offset rudder (just my opinion, others may have differing opinions). If I were racing it, I may have a different opinion, but I'm not planning on racing it. Now that it is installed, I'll probably just leave it on the boat though.

P2061195.jpg
    Last edited by bob_t; 02-06-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Thanks bob, I'll just stick with the inline. Any suggestions on mods to upgrade the speed of the boat?

I'm not the right person to ask about speed upgrades ... mine is stock other than the offset rudder and the PB stainless prop. I bought a new PB 60A esc and 1800kv PB motor (basically a Mystic powertrain) last fall that I think I might try this spring, which will bring it up to more or less a Mystic, or a BJ29 with a lower amperage esc. I also bought an M440 and M445 prop that I might try, too. The M445 will be too much for the stock 45A esc, from what I have read on here. The stock aft most strut bushing seems to wear rather quickly, even with well balanced metal props, so an upgrade to that would probably help, too. Based on Darin's advise, I bought some of the lead-teflon strut bushings and put one in my strut that was worn (I bought a new stock strut, which is in the boat now with zero use). I'll try the strut with the lead-teflon bushing this spring, too, and see how that holds up. If you have an unbalanced metal prop, I'm pretty sure that would accelerate the wear on the bushing.
    Last edited by bob_t; 02-06-2013 at 11:34 PM.

Has someone measured any speed difference inline versus offset rudder when driving straight ?

Quick question about the servos, how is it held in, I know there is that wood piece over it but what's the glue sorta thing below it!?!