Thread: SMX cuts out/stalls often

Default SMX cuts out/stalls often

I am having grief with my new Super Mono X. This is the 2nd time its been used on the water and intially was stalling about 25m out in the pond, and after about a minute able to start again. Now it does it frequently only 2 m away! I thought I had a tx/rx problem, as we tested the range on land and got about 150m with no problem.Both rudder and throttle ok. Are there any known issues with the ESC?

I have stripped down the boat and examined the electrics. No obvious problems found. I am thinking of changing the esc, has anybody had the same problem?

have you programmed the cut off voltage? What batteries are you using
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

For remote a Duracell 9v and boat Turnigy 2200mah 3S Lipo

check the lipo voltage cutout
    Billy Graham

i am confused, could you explain to me how to do that? I used a freshly charged lipo this morning and it did this in the first 20 seconds of use. cheers

if the cut off voltage is set incorrectly the the esc would cut out like you describe. That being said it appears yours is set up for 3s right out of the box. What are the voltage readings of each cell on the battery
    Billy Graham

I f i can remember correctly, they were over 4 volts per cell fully charged.

Did you try rebinding it? Also check that antenna is not broken.

I had the same problem and it turned out my RX antenna was broken. I had to strip back the shielding and expose more of the core making sure it matched the proper 2.4 Ghz wavelength.

Aha! you know what? some days ago the stripped back or silver shiny end to the antenna (about 1 inch in length) had broken off when replacing the receiver back in the hull. There is at moment no shielding cut back. Thanx a million, I`ll try that!!!!

It worked! crazy how something so simple gives the biggest headaches. Only had two episodes of lost contact with the SMX. I know there are two deadspots in the lake, so seems like it responds well now that the antenna shield was trimmed back. Is there something that one could install on the antenna end to help increase reception? just curious.

Glad it was an easy fix. You can try extending as much of the antenna outside of the hull as possible and use a Capri Sun straw or other suitable pole to extend the antenna as high as possible. Of course as you know, now that our antenna is shorter, it's harder to extend it.

I was reading the posting on this and wonder if soldering 16 gauge wire to match the manufactures specs of lenght for that system. I know the older JR's rx antennas had to be 17" in lenght to work properly! I still use the JR on brushed system.

That wire would have to be shielded except for the end, which would then be exposed, the exposed length equal to 1/4 wavelength.

Finally the problem is cured! A new tx and rx did the trick, no more stalling! Why does Joys way even bother with cheapie tx/rx combos? Sell the boat for a few more £`s with a decent tx/rx cobo.