Thread: Lehner 3080 owners question

Default Lehner 3080 owners question

Hi guys,

i won an auction off fleabay for a lehner 3080 that was stated as new condition..so i got the motor and its truly impressive..so now i have a few questions to make sure i have what i think i paid for..

What does the cogging feel like when you turn the shaft? When i turn the shaft its super smooth and i cannot feel any seperate cogging...

Also on the wire side of the motor there is a number 9 stamped on the purple end bell...what does this mean?

I hope i purchased a 6 turn which it says a "6" written in marker

besides some deep scrates and dings on the outer case the motor appears to be in good shape...should i pull it apart and take some pics? No obvoius way of taking it apart though

thanks for the help
    "FE" STANDS FOR FRUSTRATING EXPLOSIONS

I dont own one so hope you dont mind my chiming in but i'm 99% sure its a 2 pole, it would have minimal cogging/resistance if so.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

My old 3080 had a handwritten "12" on the label, which ment it was a 12 turn motor.

Also had no cogging at all, thats normal for that motor.

It didn't have anything stamped on the end though from what I remember.

Yeah i figured it was the 2 pole deal i just wanted to make sure...you know how it it is buying stuff online like this..it is a heavy bitch thats for sure!! Thanks guys!

No cogging with Lehner 3080s, and the "9" refers to the wind. So the standard Kv would be 583 with 15* advance timing.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Sure its a 9 not a 6?

In a machine shop the stamps for 6 and 9 are one in the same- just a matter of how you flip it before stamping.
    42" Osprey, 32" Pursuit, 26" Bling Rocket (rescue), Blizzard Rigger, JAE 21FE rigger, Hobby King rigger (RIP)

YEAH IT MUST BE A 6 HAHAHA

Is this that one that I posted about? You got that? Ouch man it was a pretty penny!
    42" Osprey, 32" Pursuit, 26" Bling Rocket (rescue), Blizzard Rigger, JAE 21FE rigger, Hobby King rigger (RIP)

6 turn is amp-hog and from mine experience German motors like Germans ESC, so more $$$$ to start your build. Start with connectors, water jacket,10mm coupler and………………

yes it was an ouch...i prepared my self for the ouch for the past month going back and forth trying to decide on a cheaper motor or not...better then a 800.00 ouch for one directly from LMT

it has an internal fan but i will get a cooling jacket anyway...i do need a 10mm coupler...going to try a swordfish 300 and see how it goes..i think i will be fine with it

The 3080's with six connections in the back have two possible windings: Delta and Wye. The Delta wind is always stamped on the back on the endbell. Lehner usually writes both Delta and Wye winds on the label, but it is easy to rub off or the sticker is missing since most of us use a water jacket.

Lehner uses an "iron less" stator design and that is why you feel no cogging or actually very little cogging. All the Lehner inrunners I have seen are single pole pair (2-pole) rotors. I would be very cautious running a 6 wind as they can be amp hogs if over propped. Start with it as a Wye wind.

There should be no reason to pull it apart unless you need new bearings or suspect a broken magnet or failing stator. I ended up designing a set of squeeze wrenches with a good buddy here on OSE to be able to unscrew the front end bell. I can rebuild these and all 19/22/30 series motors in case someone needs to.

DSC01615.jpgDSC01612.jpgDSC01613.jpgDSC01614.jpg
    Tyler
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Thanks tyler my plan is to only use it in the wye configuration going in a large mono 54 inches...

Wow Aaron glad u got that an not me I set a limit I would bid on both of those motors, the seller had 2 total for sale on Ebay. $420 was my tops. I hate to say it but I am glad u got one and not me. Just tooo much added costs and the heavy amp draw will send the demand for a good esc over the top for the project I had in mind.

And what good buddy is that Tyler.........

If any Canucks want the same thing done I also have a set of those wrenches .
    Necessity is the mother of invention.............

Youtube Video's http://www.youtube.com/user/Titanis2000

The best kind: The one with a machine shop in his basement that loves cool projects of course....
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

thats awesome...cool idea with those wrenches!!! sweet