Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey Guys anyone know what motor I can upgrade to with stock esc?

You mentioned " if I were to make a motor mount...", so I guess you have the means of fibricating a mount. I did not and could not, so I used the stock mount . I happened to have an old Proboat 1500kv ( from a Fast Tech) , the cooler was on the short side so I slid it towards the back and the front was opened up a bit, I slid the motor into the clamp as best as I can, it will only grab a bit and I used black electrical tape to increase the diameter of the motor can. Just a little till it fits snug.DSCN1907_1397.jpg, DSCN1909_1398.jpg.

In the first photo, I put the ESC in the stock battery platform, it was so difficult to place the batteries in and also the COG was a bit front-heavy. Lenny suggested that I should mount the ESC ON TOP of the motor, so I can slide the batteries more towards the back of the boat. I am glad I followed his advice. DSCN1986_1474.jpg
    I am very happy with the speed after the conversion, I still use the stock prop, but I up graded the cable to an OSE one:http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=ose-1085 .
    The brass tube on the Rio is a bit bigger than 4mm, that shaft has a hair of free play, but compared to a stock AQ cable/shaft, the quality is day and night. I simply could not use the stock unit with the increased speed of a BL motor---the thing was unbalanced and out of round! The step -down to 1/8" will alow you to use a stock prop, if you plan to use other prop, DO NOT get the step-down version!
    I did have to fibricate an ESC mount out of sheet metal, but was easy.

Thats a nice setup hull seems like the perfect size for what you squeeeeeezed in there lol. Do you have video with this setup?

He get's wet when shooting video and driving,
    4S is a lot of ballast for that boat.
    The video was to short in run time to really see how she planing for you,
    I would like to see some more video of it running to,
    Just don't fall in while shooting or hit anything.
    From follow up of Gilligan's last video,
    Look out for that island.
    Last edited by lenny; 10-28-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Hey,
    No center rudder did not work to good in testing,
    Single rudder on starboard side works best.
    Your last video looked a little faster,
    What are the temps of the motor and cell pack and esc after a 3 minute run ?
    You need to check it right away after running it before it starts to cool down !
    Was that with the 8.4 5000mah pack ?
    And what make are the cell packs that you are using and how much are they ?$$$
    Last video the boat was hopping a little,
    Use the trim tabs to trim it out.
    Bend the port side one down 1/16" and see if it helps, With the hopping.
    Do you have any pictures of the transom and hardware to see how it is setup.
    That would help me help you with setup for better planning

Quote Originally Posted by Killah2469 View Post
    Thats a nice setup hull seems like the perfect size for what you squeeeeeezed in there lol. Do you have video with this setup?
    Last edited by lenny; 10-28-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Hey,

Look at this post. https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...king-for-lipos
    This guy does not use paypal or credit cards ether,
    Maybe it will work for you when wanting to buy thing on line and hear.
    Last edited by lenny; 03-07-2014 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post

He get's wet when shutting video and driving,
    4S is a lot of ballast for that boat.
    The video was to short in run time to really see how she planing for you,
    I would like to see some more video of it running to,
    Just don't fall in while shutting or hit anything.
    From follow up of Gilligan's last video,
    Look out for that island.

Lenny is right, we discussed that a long time ago and his rudder set up is very good, also my boat is heavily laden, however, not to the extend that it would seriously undermine the performance. You should tale a good look at his set up.

Hey buddy,

I have been running it on 3s and it flys literally if I am not careful sometimes,
    But the other day I tried running mine on 2s and thought that it was running very good and pretty fast,
    I need to gps it next time on 2s and see what it is doing.
    Last edited by lenny; 03-07-2014 at 07:50 AM.

This is gonna be a very noob question . Is the starboard sid left or right when looking at the back of the boat?
    I'm not to sure of the temps I don't have a temp gauge but the esc is not even that warm the pack is warm and the motor is a bit warmer then the pack
    sorry I know this doesn't help very much but hoping to get a temp gauge soon.
    I have 2 Nimh packs they are a 7.2v 5000Mah Venom and an 8.4v 5000Mah Traxxas series 5.
    The venom came with the boat so I don't know the price but I just got the Traxxas yesterday and it was $74.99.
    After the last run you seen when it was hopping I put the tabs down and the hopping wasn't so bad.
    Here is a couple of pics of my boat. for all the noob questions.
    I am hoping to get out to try the 8.4v pack soon and when I do I will get some video and post it so you can check it out.
    I almost forgot today I picked up a proboat 1.6" x 2.5 prop can't wait to try it the cool thing is it is 1/4" shaft and it came with a sleeve for the 1/8" shaft
    so now I can use the sleeve for any 1/4" shaft prop and I don't have to make one.

IMG_20121028_025117.jpg IMG_20121028_025234.jpg IMG_20121028_025246.jpg

Here is also a pic of my packs and charger.

IMG_20121028_024959.jpg

If you are looking at the back of the boat (transom) : Left= Port, Right= starboard. Remember L*E*F*T* are four letters, and so is P*O*R*T*. I had trouble remembering this for the longest time till I learned this trick.
    Did you take one rudder off or the boat came this way, I am sure it works, just never thought of that!
    Good that your prop came with a sleeve!
    I am no help with your temp question: I think if you can put your fingers on the motor and the ESC for a few seconds, you are ok for now, everyone's interpretation of temp is different, so it is hard to tell. But if your finger can't touch for a split second, then you are asking for trouble.
    just my $.02

Me,
    Are we having fun yet,
    It's Easy, Starboard is right driver side like in a car in the Uk.
    First thing I see for you to do is give more gap at the drive dog and flex tube 3/16 or a little more won't hurt,
    I see all your hardware is stock and you took one rudder off,
    I modded my rudder and bracket for testing,
    And than bought a new used rudder with water pick up and bracket in the swop shop for 10.00.
    With one rudder it has less drag in the water,
    You can also take off all the hardware and sharpen and sand smooth all the metal hardware,
    And polish it to make it look nice and shiny.
    Also you can sand the hull from middle of bottom to stern of boat with #400 grit sand paper.
    By doing these mods it will have less drag in the water, Witch will give more speed and run time to.
    Like a dragster with out a parachute.

Little late now, But you could have did a WTB for the 8.4 cells and got away a lot cheaper.
    Or went with a breshless setup, 25.00 motor, 35.00 to 50.00 Esc and some $20.00 7.2 30c 5000mah 20.00 each,
    And a good used metal x440 S&B prop 25.00.
    Esc, motors, and lipos for cheap new,
    Links. Ose hear or, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/index.rc
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/
    Also in swap shop hear, Just watch who you buy from on hear.
    Last edited by lenny; 10-29-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Well it finally stoped raining from storm sandy and I'm hoping I can get out tomorrow to try the new battery and if I do I will post some video when I get home.

Man 75 bucks for a nihm pack, wish you would just listen and do a brushless lipo set up and stop throwing money at it. Why the fixation on brushed motors and nihm cells. Time to meet the rest of us in 2012 and stop living in 2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaughnessy View Post
    Man 75 bucks for a nihm pack, wish you would just listen and do a brushless lipo set up and stop throwing money at it. Why the fixation on brushed motors and nihm cells. Time to meet the rest of us in 2012 and stop living in 2000
    I am going to go brushless this winter i'm just playing around right now this is my first Rc boat. I also blew up my titan 12T today so brushless is coming for next season.

I went out todat and tried both props the stock 42mm and the new 40mm not to sure which is faster here are both videos anyong have any idea which one looks faster?

This is 42mm

This is 40mm

Looks Good! I think the 40mm prop is more flexible meaning it allows the boat to get up and go a bit easier. Top speed is hard to tell the difference. It is like a car geared a bit lower and you have more initial pick up.
    Sorry to hear the 12t blew. I am curious: what were the signs when it gave up?
    By the way, it is seemingly strange to some of us why you insisted on brushed motor and mihn batteries. But you know what? that is part of the learning curve, you started from the old fashion way, there is nothing wrong to learn to drive with a stick shift!
    All the best in the winter when you do look into BL set up.

I finally got out to try my 8.4v it was great except when the motor blew up. Here is the video of the only run with the 8.4v right at the end is when the motor blew.
    I guess i should have checked temps every min or so I planed on checking it at 3 min and I almost got there but not quite I also have the 40mm on in the video.

I'm gonna pick up a cheap brushed motor just to maybe get another run or 2 in before it snows then brushless all the way. Any suggestions for motors and escs would be great. I also would like to run nimh for now till I
    decide to get a lipo charger.

The cheapest brushed motor is the stock 550 replacement motor: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXMMZ3&P=Ztor:. Judging from the video, this stock motor can't be that much slower and you don't need to worry about the likelyhood of it blowing up---although if you run 8.4v you do need to have it cooled down more often. Did the ESC blew with the Titan 12t? if you can have your local hobby store order this motor for you, then you don't have to go thru the credit card crap.

Do you still have the stock Rio motor,
    If so use it, The t12 is *!***!***!***!**.
    I ran the stock motor and esc for a long time using the 8.4 pack and stock 42 prop,
    Then one day I tried a prop that came with a PB 36"Shockwave it was a p230 prop.
    And the boat ran with it pretty good and then it stop,
    I burnt the brushes out in the motor.
    Then I replaced them and ran it with the 42mm prop.
    The S600 motor worked good to on 8.4 just check your temp and run times,
    Those NiMH packs get very hot and motor to with long run times.

I do still have the stock motor but I was gonna pick up one of these just to try. What do you think I read that on 7.2v it ran at just over 30 000 RPM's so on 8.4 it should rock.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ouble-ORI25112

I really want to try a cheap 540 to see if I can get more speed out of a brushed rio ep.

Does anyone think that this esc would be ok?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._w_5A_BEC.html

The only problem is the link you listed is a brushless esc. Yes it works with NiMh, but not a brushed motor.

Hey did you read this ?

Also I forgot to tell you that I put 5.5 bullet on everything and that helped a lot to.

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    Hey,

Look at this post. https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...king-for-lipos
    This guy does not use paypal or credit cards ether,
    May be it will work for you when wanting to buy thing on line and hear.
    Last edited by lenny; 12-23-2012 at 08:31 AM.

We don't have money grans like that in canada the closest thing we have is money orders.

Quote Originally Posted by david.garrison View Post
    The only problem is the link you listed is a brushless esc. Yes it works with NiMh, but not a brushed motor.
    Yes the motor is for my setup now and the esc is for when I go brushless next season just haven't looked into a motor yet any suggestions

May I suggest that when you do go to BL, don't go to these products, get a known brand which will not break your bank, there is a reason why people don't often use these cheap ESCs, it is one thing that you are trying to find out what a 550 or 540 will do with the expectation that they might blow up, it is quite another when you know in your heart one day BL will be your future set up and the constant failure of equiptment will not be fun for you.
    Just my opinion.

I think Make-A-Wake used one of those esc in a 4s traxxas villan mod to FE,
    But not sure on that.

Motor 2600kv tops.

That esc doesn't have reverse so I wouldn't use it didn't realize that till later. What does anyone have for a suggestion for an esc that is budget friendly. I don't need a super setup just wanna run a 2000kv motor
    and one 2c or 3c lipo. What should I get for speed with that setup?

I need to know what to get for my rio ep brushless motor and esc lipo batteries and anything else I need to get about 27 or 28. I'm hopping to get some cash for christmas to get what I need.

I like the Proboat 1500 kv motor, I think even the 1800kv would be good without too much torque roll. Look closely here at the F/S section and may be you can find something less expensive. Some people are getting new BlackJack 29s now and they take out the stock system before ever getting to the water. This is of course for 4s set ups.
    If you get a separate ESC, I like the Seaking 120A alot, it is not that expensive all things considered, OSE here has very competitive pricing.http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...er-seaking-120
    For batteries: http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl5000-2s1p-40c-2222.html, you can also stick with what you have, those NimH should work too.
    These are Gen.1 Aqua Craft SV27 motor:http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=dh-aqug7000, good prize too. This is strictly for price reason. I much prefer the current AQ 1800kv motor. http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=dh-aqug7002
    Cheers!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast