Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey Guys anyone know what motor I can upgrade to with stock esc?

Default Hey Guys anyone know what motor I can upgrade to with stock esc?

Hello people I'm new to this Rc boating hobby and I have a stock Rio ep. I am running a 7.4v 5000mah NiMh i would really like to upgrade the motor before the esc and was wondering what motor I can use with the stock esc even if I have to cut down runtimes to cool everything down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a video of my second run with it.

Also what is a good brushed combo motor and esc to run in this boat I'd like to stay brushed for now.

Hey,
    That was my first rc boat and did a lot of testing and modding to it,
    I bought it used on CL for 75.00.
    Brushed I had it running pretty good and used a 8.4v nimh on stock motor and esc and ran the sh*t out of it,
    And the motor got hot a lot and burned the brushes up a few times on me.
    The first Esc burned out in the stock location,
    Pushing a p230 on 8.4v prop at that time.
    The first Esc's were very weak that they put in it, Bad QC.
    When I got the new esc Warranted I mounted it on top of the motor cooling coil,
    It worked a lot better there in the open and stayed cooler and easy to check on too.
    Top speeds about 20mph,

Than I modded and went brushless on 2s and then 3s gps at 32 mph and stable.

Hear some good modding info a friend of mine was doing AKA tunnelvision. https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...single-battery

This is mine on 3s.

TTYL.
    Last edited by lenny; 10-14-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Throw a Graupner 8.4vBB in it on 4s and look out!!
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

The problem is that there is no really good brushed motor ESC anymore, everyone has gone brushless. How does the Proboat unit hold up? AQ really only handles 7.2 v although 8.4v will work for short sprints.
    I also converted mine to BL before the stock ESC had any chance to fail, heck, I left the thing where it is, just tucked the wires away. I am lazy ( Lenny already knows that! ) and plus the location was hard to get, also helped my COG!

I gave up on the stock Esc and i went and got an XL-5 and a Titan 12t hopefully this will work alright. I figure if i want a brushless boat I'll buy one RTR. I managed to get my stock esc out and this is how i mounted everything.IMG_20121014_104016.jpg
    I can't wait to try it out its raining here now but I hope it will stop soon. I also noticed I've heard the stock esc is 25a but mine says 30a on it and i wondered if AQ changed them for a bigger one from the first models.
    Here is a pic of mine was yours the same?
    IMG_20121014_114223.jpg
    I'm also not sure what prop to use I have the Stock 42mm and I also have a 35mm and a 44mm if you have any suggestions for me on what to use that would be great.

I had bought a replacement ESC for another projuct, and yes, it looked the same. didn't remember what the label said though. I personally really like the 42mm stock prop.
    I think the 35mm is a bit small and the motor can handel the 42mm w/o any problem. Try the 44mm but be sure to feel the temp on the ESC and motor.

I've heard some bad things about the 12t and i don't want to burn it up yet not till next season anyway then I'll get a better brushed motor any suggestions on that as well would be great to. I am going to order a speed 600 to see how that works also.

That 12t is not going to like being run in a boat, its gonna get real hot as you seem aware of already. A graupner 600 9.6v would be a good choice, that way you can just use prop size to get the motor to run at its best...............the 12t is gonna need a real small prop to stand a chance.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Yes same esc,
    And I tried the 12t and it did not work very good,
    The s600 I liked a little better.
    Some mods I did to mine,
    Single rudder on the starboard side and sanded bottom of hull,
    I am running a x440/3 prop and that gives less torque roll on the hull,
    Home made trim tabs a little bigger than stock ones.

Pictures of 36 shockwave 053.jpgPictures of 36 shockwave 057.jpgPictures of 36 shockwave 056.jpgPictures of 36 shockwave 055.jpgPictures of 36 shockwave 054.jpg

I'm hopeing that running a 7.2 v nimh will keep it cooler so it won't burn up so fast. I also looked up the graupner 600 motors and there is like 4 or 5 of them which one should i use. The race 600 has the highest rpm but i'm not sure if thats what i need or a lower rpm motor.

what speeds did you get from the 12t and the s600 and did you run both of them on the xl-5?
    I was also wondering what batteries did you run and how hot did the motors get?
    when i measure the volts on my 7.2 volt nimh it reads 8.1 is that ok?
    Last edited by Killah2469; 10-15-2012 at 12:09 AM.

I am glad Make-a-Wake pointed out the negative sides of the 12t motor.
    My bad, I thought you are running the stock motor but it is actually a sticker on the motor mount clamp. Sorry.

Well I went out yesterday and tried the new esc and motor here is the video I got. I also have a video of the first 1 min run with fresh 7.2v which I will upload later.
    I kept picking up leaves on the prop thats why Ihave to keep coming in.

Here is the fresh battery video.

Last edited by Killah2469; 10-16-2012 at 11:17 AM.

How much speed will i gain going from a 7.2v to a 8.4v?
    Also will the xl-5 handle an 8 cell nimh?
    Thanks alot for your help.

Hi,
    I think when mine was brushed,
    I did a lot of tweeking to the hardware and hull bottom and move the esc on top of the cooling coil on the motor.
    It ran about 5 to 8 mph faster on the 8.4 and S600 motor and stock motor with the stock 42 mm prop.
    You just need to watch your run times and temps because it will get very hot if not.

thanks for your help I hope i'm not bothering you to much. I still haven't got the performence I want and am looking at 3 motors and was wondering if you could help me out with which one would be better.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ouble-ORI25112
    http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...r-15t-ORI25127
    http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ouble-ORI22038

All of these motors are avaliable at my lhs which makes it easier for me to purchase.
    Thanks alot for your help and again I hope I'm not bothering you to much.

I forgot there is also this motor.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMUN9&P=ML
    Last edited by Killah2469; 10-24-2012 at 04:07 PM.

Did you measure how long the motor cans are on these motors? Reason is that you may not have any room left for the water cooler coil after the motor clamp is installed. Also I think these car motor will run a high temp. Is the Titan 12t a 550 sized can? if so, these 540 sized can will be too short, I am afraid. A good brushed boat motor is not cheap and the ESC will have to deliver too, I know you are not thinking of going brushless, but you may find that there comes a point where the dollar sense would dictate a BL set up.
    Here are some brushed motor for your ref.:http://mhzusa.com/Brushed_c37.htm

if I was to make a new motor mount would these 540 motors be much faster than the 550 titan 12t?

I really couldn't help you there, sorry, no experience on these motors in boats, I just wanted to warn you the possibility of the difficulty you might have mounting it, I had the same problem with the stock Proboat BL 1500kv motor, had to "share" the can and so the clamp and the cooler both get some real estate, but that motor is much longer than these 540 motor cans.

could you tell me would a 540 motor be faster than tne 550 titan 12t?

With all do respect why do you insist on staying brushed. You are looking at 50+dollar brushed motors when you can get a brushless for next to the same cost. I see slightly used AQ and PB motors go for that in the swap shop all the time. A 60 amp esc should be enough for that size of a boat and the price on one of those isn't bad. Why not just do it once and do it right? I have brushless motors that I've been using season after season ( I actually run year round) and they are still going strong. Just seems like u are wasting money to me.

I can't because I am not familiar with the 550 Titan 12t. I used to have 1/10 on road touring cars and yes, a good modified 540 can be faster, but run time was shorter and temp was always higher, it is not efficient but you can help with gearing. In a boat it is different, as you know the amp draw can be higer than RC Cars. Besides changing the prop you really have no other means of realizing the best efficiency for the given motor.
    How dissatisfied are you with the Titan 12t?
    The problem with the modified 540 is that the can is shorter than a standard/brush inside-the-can 540. Therefore I was worried that you can't slip the cooler coil on it. If I were you and really curious about what the 540 will do, you can put it on and go for a short sprint then judge the speed. Just do the best you can with the cooler.
    I hope some one with better knowledge can point you to the right direction, I am sorry that I am relative new and the little knowledge that I have is limited to BL motor.
    Good luch and keep us posted.
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaughnessy View Post
    With all do respect why do you insist on staying brushed. You are looking at 50+dollar brushed motors when you can get a brushless for next to the same cost. I see slightly used AQ and PB motors go for that in the swap shop all the time. A 60 amp esc should be enough for that size of a boat and the price on one of those isn't bad. Why not just do it once and do it right? I have brushless motors that I've been using season after season ( I actually run year round) and they are still going strong. Just seems like u are wasting money to me.
    see my post # 18

I have been their and done that,
    And did all I could do with the stock parts and custom made parts and modded brushed setups,
    While trying to stay as cheap as possible to keep cost down.
    With all that I did to the boat, I got 20 mph with wind behind pushing.
    It ran hot and the Nimh cells got hot to and where not cheap at the time.
    Than with all the tweaking I did to it,
    When I finally went brushless it all came together for me.
    Good speeds,Nice running,Good Temps,Good run times.
    I have learned a lot from that boat and testing and modding it along the way.

Well I went out today and got a 8.4v 5000mah can't wait for some good weather to test it out hopefully it will give me the extra speed I am looking for. When I get good weather I will take it out get some video and post it so you can see how its going. I was also at futureshop today and seen a traxxas brushless setup for 149.99 and a bigger one for 199.99 which I think I'm gonna get when the snow comes then I will have a good brushless setup for next season. Can anyone tell me if that is a good price for a traxxas brushless setup?
    I also took the torque ring off the 12t and that boosted the rpm's up a bit I have a video and I will post it when it is finished uploading.

Here is the video.

Last edited by Killah2469; 10-27-2012 at 10:04 PM.

No,
    I would say far away from traxxas setups for a boat.
    You can find a lot better stuff out there and save a lot of money to.
    Esc's go with Seaking or Turnigy, Motors Turnigy, Pro boat, Aquacraft,Leapord.
    Good lipos and cheap, Turnigy, sky, gens ace.
    Their is a lot of good cheap stuff out a that will work for you.

I don't have a way to buy online so I have to find stuff I can buy at a brick and morter store which sucks because there are better deals online.

Why do you not have a way to buy no on line ?
    If you do not mind me asking.

no credit card but my lhs can order anything from tower or horizon. Do you have any suggestions for me on a brushless setup from those places your help is greatly appreciated.
    Does anyone know what the pitch is on the stock prop?
    would this be a good brushless motor for my rio if i went brushless?
    http://www.proboatmodels.com/Product...ProdID=PRB3911
    Last edited by Killah2469; 10-28-2012 at 08:03 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast