Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motor wires cut

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    Holly Balls Kewley,

Does that thing dim your house light when you plug it in?
    It comes with it's own generator

Cool

The way brushless motors work (non sensor) is the back EMF voltage that the motor produces that is used by the esc for timing, there are no manufacture specs on how much more shorter you are to cut than how they already come from the factory. Personally I keep them factory length to not affect the timing. There is a reason why they are a length they are, but have not done any testing (never had to) to see if doing so would affect the timing between the ESC and the motor. Hopefully it works out and the timing is not effected.
    You are confused a bit here. The length of the wires coming out of the can makes no difference (they all do need to be the same length), the ESC has no idea how long they are. All that matters to the ESC is the total length between the ESC and the motor windings wraped around the stator. This length is made up of the motor wires, and the wires which are part of the ESC. There is no minimum length, in fact the shorter the better since the inductance is less, but up to 5" or so is usually acceptable.

An example is the Castle 1515 car motor. The wires on the motor from the factory are about 4" long to make fitting in a car easier, but they can be shortened without a problem. I cut the wires on my CC1515 to 1.5" and put the motor in my 6S SAW catamaran. I used it to run near 90 mph and set several records with it with over 40 passes. Believe me, there was no problem with the timing or performance with the short wires when spinning 39,000 rpm - and I have the record plaques to confirm that!

If what you said had merit, then all BL motors would have the same length of wires coming out of the can. Clearly they do not, the Castle motors being an extreme example compared to the Leopards. Again, the ESC has no idea how long the motor wires which are soldered to the connector are, nor does it know how long the ESC wires which are soldered to the connector are. All it cares about is the total length between the motor windings and the ESC board....and the shorter the better.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

would the folloing diagram create a problem? Ihave a friend who's boat is setup like this and for some reason the ESC won't arm.

BLMESC.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    You are confused a bit here. The length of the wires coming out of the can makes no difference (they all do need to be the same length), the ESC has no idea how long they are. All that matters to the ESC is the total length between the ESC and the motor windings wraped around the stator. This length is made up of the motor wires, and the wires which are part of the ESC. There is no minimum length, in fact the shorter the better since the inductance is less, but up to 5" or so is usually acceptable.

An example is the Castle 1515 car motor. The wires on the motor from the factory are about 4" long to make fitting in a car easier, but they can be shortened without a problem. I cut the wires on my CC1515 to 1.5" and put the motor in my 6S SAW catamaran. I used it to run near 90 mph and set several records with it with over 40 passes. Believe me, there was no problem with the timing or performance with the short wires when spinning 39,000 rpm - and I have the record plaques to confirm that!

If what you said had merit, then all BL motors would have the same length of wires coming out of the can. Clearly they do not, the Castle motors being an extreme example compared to the Leopards. Again, the ESC has no idea how long the motor wires which are soldered to the connector are, nor does it know how long the ESC wires which are soldered to the connector are. All it cares about is the total length between the motor windings and the ESC board....and the shorter the better.

Okey.

Regarding the picture:

If the difference is relatively little, it won't matter. Think about it - BL motors do NOT have the same wire length on each pole. Normal manufacturing tolerances prevent that from happening. Back in the bad old days we paid lots extra to get hand-wound arms that DID have the same wire on each.

If you're only talking about a couple inches total difference, it won't matter. If you're talking about tens of inches, it could.

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDuc View Post
    Here's a similar thread with good info as well: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...igy-motor.Help
    I've seen threads with more nonsense concentrated in one thread, but not many. It's up there..
    Agreed it does have some good & correct info hidden between the humor.

More info, great people to work with!

There email:

Thanks for sending me the picture.

The wire is really very short, the best way is replace the coil. You could return it to below address.

Leopard Power Model Co., Ltd.
    Room No. 616, 6th floor, Global building,
    Huanan road, China South City, Pinghu,
    Longgang, shenzhen, CN
    Tel.:+86-755-89885312
    Att:Angela.

Please you tell me motor item no., I'll work out the coil cost for you.

Best Regards,
    Angela
    Leopard Power Model Co.,LTD
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Has anyone tried to use the StayBright/StayClean stuff???

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFS75&P=7

This stuff has some silver in it, but more importantly the flux that it comes with is an acid based flux. Between the heat and the acid it may clean off the lacquer on the wires.

Later,
    Mike

That's the right answer, Randy. Sounds like decent people!

Andy

Staybrite is not natural. I don't know what's in there but nothing else will solder the end of a flex shaft for me when staybrite just does.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Staybrite is not natural. I don't know what's in there but nothing else will solder the end of a flex shaft for me when staybrite just does.
    I (only) used it thusfar in soldering the threaded ends on my steering rods, brilliant.

I'm under the impression (but not a 100% sure) that any 'silver bearing solder' is the same thing, but if anyone could confirm or not?

3% silver.

Glad they are willing to help out Randy.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    The Staybrite flux includes hydrochloric acid (HCl).

Andy

newest email

Angela
    8:18 PM (12 hours ago)

to me
    Hi Randy,

Good morning!

Noted it was LBP5692/1340KV with thanks!

The cost for replace new coil is $42, please you return it to us if this is available for you.

Have a good day!
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Quote Originally Posted by SweetAccord View Post
    Ugh! You need to have the right length of the factory spec. I think you know that hence why you are asking. The way brushless motors work is that if they have bullets on them like a Tenshock, you can have any length wire on it. When a brushless motor has the lines go into the motor they have to be the right length as the length is used as a resistance for the signal line. Hopefully someone has the same motor and give you the exact correct length and or if Leopard can provide the info. Good luck!
    This makes no sense since different ESC's have different length motor wires, and depending on which one you use, the overall length will be different. And what about those who need to lengthen the ESC wires on their tunnel hulls to reach the OB motor?
    Randy - I think the real problem is how to solder to the existing wires without damaging the internal wires and insulation...better send it to the factory and have them re-attach new wires to the motor windings.
    JMHO
    I let the dogs out...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12