Thread: spartan strut with bearings

Default spartan strut with bearings

hi, how do I oil my spartan strut with bearings if there sealed rubber?? should I use corrosion x and brake claeaner on them after each day of fun?

sealed bearing need no lubrication.
    white geico w/2200kv 3674 leopard 53.5mph 4s2p, geico w/ 1800kv outrunner 52mph on 4s2p, genesis w/2200kv castle 53.8 on 4s2p, impulse 31 w/2200kv castle, stock p1 and ul-1

wont water still get in around rubber to the ball bearinds inside?

It shouldn't get in to sealed bearings.
    white geico w/2200kv 3674 leopard 53.5mph 4s2p, geico w/ 1800kv outrunner 52mph on 4s2p, genesis w/2200kv castle 53.8 on 4s2p, impulse 31 w/2200kv castle, stock p1 and ul-1

I definitely would not use brake cleaner on them, it could damage the seals.

Kevin

Kevin, do you have this traxxas bearing strut? will water get behind the rubber?

No I don't, just making a general comment that a harsh cleaner like brake clean could damage the seal material.

I know several boaters run bearings in the struts and seem to have good success, I have never been able wrap my head around running a bearing under water.

True, if the seal is sound it should be fine, and I guess if the seal fails resulting in a failed bearing, you just accept that was the life span of the bearing.

Bushings wear out, and require replacing, I suppose the same would apply to bearings, run 'em 'til they pooch, then replace them.

Kevin

I've had nothing but bad experiences with bearing in my spartan strut. Keep in mind that bushings are much more tolerant of vibration like what may come from a unbalanced prop or flex assembly. I've had two bearings come apart after very little use and never did see any upside to using the bearings in the first place. Also make sure you use red loctite to install them or they will back out and chew up other parts of the driveline.

Did this three times, with three different types of bearings, and the bearing failed each time. I even made sure the prop was perfectly balanced. If someone made this work, please chime in.

hi guys, what are you running in your spartan strut then? ive found with the brass bushing, it wears out. what are you using? can you buy any teflon liner to fit into spartan strut?

I just run the stock strut, and replace when required. They are not that expensive to replace.

I have also modified my stuffing tube and strut so they connect together. This helps push the grease from the flex through the strut, i'm not sure how much it helps, but I'm sure that what grease actually makes its way into the strut help[s a bit.

Kevin