Thread: Miss Elam Prop failure

Default Miss Elam Prop failure

Hello - I recently upgraded my Miss Elam to Lipo power and on the first run, everything was looking good when suddenly, coming out of a turn, I got on the power and BLAM! It dove under the water, and then popped back up, missing the hatch cover and sinking rapidly! Luckily, the water was warm enough for me to jump in and save it before it sank to the bottom. In any event, see the attached picture for what I found...bent flex shaft, broken strut, etc. I've seen other people post pictures with similar damage, but haven't seen a good explanation for what happened...any ideas? There are some dings on the prop, like it might have hit something, but there was nothing obvious in the water, and the rudder right next to the prop is fine. Looking for some feedback, so I can prevent a similar occurrence next time!

-MarkS.

MissElamPropFail.jpg

I've TOTALLY had that exact same thing happen when using an upgraded prop on the Pro Boat strut for these boats...

What happened is that the shaft is only 3mm, and it's getting loaded and unloaded HARD by that surface drive setup. Go much beyond the stock prop, and it's done.

What I did to fix mine is remove the nose piece, press/drill out the original bushings, ream out the ID of the strut to be .250" (press fit), then install some Octura 3/16" ID lead-teflon bushings.

I fabbed a new nose piece with a 3/16" ID, that just butts up against the nose of the strut (doesn't press INTO it), and with a set screw that would allow it to attach to the front end of a stub shaft. I then used a Miss Geico flex cable, which has a 3/16" stub shaft, and fitted that, allowing the stub shaft to extend out the nose of the strut, and slid the nose piece over it, securing it with the set screw.

Now I have a standard 3/16" stub, supported on lead-teflon bushings. Even better... if the coupler comes lose, or the flex breaks, the stub is captured at the strut by the nose piece and I don't lose the prop.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Thanks Darin, great info! Do you have a picture of what that setup ended up looking like, when all was said and done? Worth a thousand words, etc.

Really appreciate the help!

-MarkS.