Thread: Good CG range

Default Good CG range

So I've about got the boat together and started with a bare hull. What is the best CG on these? First Hydro coming from mono. I know that 2/3ds toward the rear is good for monos but thinking Hydros want more in the center if not forward a hair for good sponsoon tracking. :). Also I would like to see weights of these and asking anyone with heavily modded boats what your wet weight is. (fully loaded with batteries.)

I'm sitting at 5 Ibs. 3oz. right now. but need to finish some coolant line and S+B the prop
    Kyosho K.I.T.T.

Hi.
    Have any pictures of your boat and setup inside of the hull ?
    How big is the boat and on what cells will you be running ?

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    Hi.
    Have any pictures of your boat and setup inside of the hull ?
    How big is the boat and on what cells will you be running ?

lol well It's a normal RTR UL-1 Dont really know if there is much of a variation size wise from revisions. I'll be running 4s. As soon as I get the cooling tubing done Ill post some pics.
    Kyosho K.I.T.T.

Here's some pics...

2012-09-29_16-18-04_104.jpg
    2012-09-29_16-09-22_557.jpg

I also had to repair the left sponsoon and it was cracked in a few spots so i just sanded things down and epoxied some carbon on it.

2012-09-29_16-18-30_794.jpg

Same with the Transom.

2012-09-29_16-09-13_766.jpg
    2012-09-29_16-08-50_81.jpg

I am running two pickups as the tiny rudder one doesn't sit well with my motor size.

...and i know I am running too small of battery connections but I had a ton left over from the cars and when I am a little more better with finances I will upgrade to 5.5's, kinda why I screwed up the soldering job on the Y harness :)
    Last edited by MR2NR; 09-29-2012 at 07:20 PM.
    Kyosho K.I.T.T.

COG on this hull should be an inch and a half to three inches behind the sponsons Matt.

Run the batteries as far forward as possible. What motor is in there?

I think it is a 3674 2200kv.
    But not sure on that.
    He said it was stock setup.

Stock Hull but all the internals is aftermarket except the servo. Leopard 3674 2200K is correct. Using Gens Ace 2200 60c Batts 4S. They are in the pic :) Shoved as far forward and outboard as I have seen :). But ya run time will be around 15 min I'm guessing.
    Kyosho K.I.T.T.

Just budding in here, I have the same set up with that motor running 4s 5000mah 40c-50c burst
    with a m445 s&b, running in the 50 range but I don't belive you will get 15 min run time out of it, more like 4-5 min, but anyway run it for a few laps and check temps.
    jmo, have fun.

How much time are yours getting? If things are that bad Ill just run 2s for fun and 4s to race. :) I also have some hardcase 40'c but cant get them in the hole :).
    Kyosho K.I.T.T.

Like I said I'm getting about 4-5 min on 4s thats 2x2s to make 4s, I not sure but that motor won't perform on a single 2s.
    I could be wrong, just never ran it or tryed it on 2s and only 7.4 volts it will be slow.
    Everything I read in this site says most all fe boats run between 4-6 min.
    if your getting 15 min run time thats great, but hard to believe on 2200 mah batterys.

Well on my mono I can get 30 min with 5000mahs so I was just halving it :). Ill bet you are right though with a hydro and bigger prop. I really like how these batts. fit though. I was thinking I could just by another pair and put them in parallel and double the Mah but I hate the way you have to splice solder. Would be cool if they made a 5.5 Y or T bullet or is there a better way ? Maybe stick a 5.5 in a 8 solder hole.
    Kyosho K.I.T.T.

Are you running in series or paralelle ? spelling, you know what I mean.
    Even on my impulse, still only getting around 4-5 min on 5000mah and when recharging them i'm putting 3800-4000mah back in.
    you should leave about 20% of charge in the batterys.

Quote Originally Posted by MR2NR View Post
    Well on my mono I can get 30 min with 5000mahs so I was just halving it :). Ill bet you are right though with a hydro and bigger prop. I really like how these batts. fit though. I was thinking I could just by another pair and put them in parallel and double the Mah but I hate the way you have to splice solder. Would be cool if they made a 5.5 Y or T bullet or is there a better way ? Maybe stick a 5.5 in a 8 solder hole.
    What kind of mono?

Quote Originally Posted by G-UNIT View Post
    Are you running in series or paralelle ? spelling, you know what I mean.
    Even on my impulse, still only getting around 4-5 min on 5000mah and when recharging them i'm putting 3800-4000mah back in.
    you should leave about 20% of charge in the batterys.
    Both if I get two more packs. Parallel batts. Series to the ESC. so I would be at 4400mah with four 2200mah batts. I have 2 on board voltage meters on each batt. so I know where Ill be I heard that the ESC Im using isn't very reliable with voltage cutoffs so I am not relying on it :).

I mainly did this because i wanted the batts. to be as far outboard as possible and the hull came with a huge hole in the front so why cut it up any more :).

Dana I am referring to the Jet Stream in my avatar. It wasn't very fast though so Im taking that into account that as well.

I'm thinking now I will need the extra batts but of course I bought the last two HP had lol. I prob have the lightest UL-1 though right now lol. Might run it one or two passes and see where I'm at.
    Last edited by MR2NR; 10-04-2012 at 03:16 PM.
    Kyosho K.I.T.T.

Well after about a year I finally got the S+B prop back as I was lazy and really hadnt had much time lately to go get it. But the boat really didnt want to go like it should. I could get it to plane but barely as I'd say it's prob running 15-20 MPH. I'm afraid my prop is not thin enough. Does OSE sell a thin enough 40 57 prop for the UL-1 S+B'd from them?
    Kyosho K.I.T.T.

Just went out again and stuck the strut down and got her to pop out super easy and she did the basic 25-30mph ya! Now I need to up the battery's.
    Kyosho K.I.T.T.