Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Balaenoptera Musculus. Upgrades?

Sounds like you have it planned out, this boat can handle speed it seems like. For sure add transom bracing to stiffin it up and I would even stiffen up the sides in between joints. Mine are a little flexible.
    When speed isnt the option, change your ways

Just making a list of the gear I need to purchase, got the boat in the mail already :D
    Thanks for the stiffening tips, I'll add a couple of stringers into the bottom of the hull, that aught to keep it stiff enough

I hear that these are very light, and some of their riding abilities, or lack thereof, is because of that... What size batteries do you guys run? Someone mentioned lead as well?

Quote Originally Posted by masonis1 View Post
    I'll post some pictures and measurements of the rudder, prop, stinger, etc tonight
    Really appreciated Mason! :)

I ran a 5300mah 3s, but that will last a long time. I think a 3000mah would last a good 6-8 minutes

So it's a 'Balaenoptera Musculus stripped down to bare hull, fill all the holes, I used paper towels and super glue, turns really hard and tight, then seal the hull, add supports. Make or get a motor mount, pretty easy I made mine, sheet metal and bent it and drille holes. Epoxy that in, I did it wrong and drilled and bolted it..., mount the motor with a good COG. Then you can epoxy a servo in or make a mount like mine. I'm going to try making a platform for a battery, esc, and receiver all up off the botom.

thanks HEAPS mate :) really appreciated!

I get a 90mm rudder and a 50mm drive from your pictures, which basically means, I'll grab this combo, with the lot in it :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150926492...#ht_1485wt_906

That way I don't miss out on some little bit that I didn't think of
    The drive, and the different components are still a bit unknown to me... I've never run anything with a flex shaft, teflon liners and outer stuffing tubes?..
    BUT if someone would be kind enough to give me a guide as to what I need, that would be VERY appreciated :D

cheers guys!
    /Martin

Tht combo has a lip on the stinger tht you will need to build a small stand. Look for something tht doesn't need a stand, that would be easier for you I think.

I have a 3/18 shaft in think, Shawn correct me... But I have the flex bent to come out the rear of the hull level. Do you have the hull yet

Hi Mason,

Cheers, I understand why you'd need a large pod with your setup... I never thought of that, so thanks for pointing it out
    I'm not sure adding a pod to the back of the boat is a bad thing.
    I believe, you can have positive effects by having a longer distance between the bow and the prop (in this case extended a bit behind the bow).
    What it does is to make the boat act like a slightly larger boat (handling wise).

The suggested strudder (I heard that somewhere, stinger + rudder = strudder... LOL) would only need a pod of less than 20mm I'd say...
    Could someone point me to a howto on how these drives are assembled? I find it a bit confusing with the different sizes, and some are the same diameter, but different names??
    e.g. 1/8, 3/16, 4mm (which is also .150?) and 1/4 (although that just seems ridiculous in size?!?)

The part I don't understand is, how do I put my own "kit" together?
    What diameters am I looking for?
    I'm sure this is not as hard as it feels right now, but I've never seen it assembled, or dis-assembled...

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by seehuusen View Post
    Hi Mason,

Cheers, I understand why you'd need a large pod with your setup... I never thought of that, so thanks for pointing it out
    I'm not sure adding a pod to the back of the boat is a bad thing.
    I believe, you can have positive effects by having a longer distance between the bow and the prop (in this case extended a bit behind the bow).
    What it does is to make the boat act like a slightly larger boat (handling wise).

Cheers
    Martin
    You are correct sir,
    Hi Mason,
    The suggested strudder (I heard that somewhere, stinger + rudder = strudder... LOL) would only need a pod of less than 20mm I'd say...
    Could someone point me to a howto on how these drives are assembled? I find it a bit confusing with the different sizes, and some are the same diameter, but different names??
    e.g. 1/8, 3/16, 4mm (which is also .150?) and 1/4 (although that just seems ridiculous in size?!?)

The part I don't understand is, how do I put my own "kit" together?
    What diameters am I looking for?
    I'm sure this is not as hard as it feels right now, but I've never seen it assembled, or dis-assembled...

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers
    Martin
    You can run 1/8(.098) cable for props 35mm and under(or I always have).You can go a little heavier duty with a .130 cable(good up to 40mm props),or step up to .150/4mm cable(and this is as large as you'll need for this hull).All these can be fitted to a 3/16 prop shaft(this is the part that runs through the strut and bushings).These can be silver soldered or glued with Loctite 638/648(my preference).That strudder setup is probably preassembled which means they come with bushings(not all include these) and the cable/prop shaft are together.
    If you end up with a 4mm setup you will need a prop adapter http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=ose-1030 to fit the most popular props.
    Last edited by srislash; 11-01-2012 at 08:05 AM.

Gut the whole boat first to a bare hull. No electronics. Then you need a cutting tool like a dremel and you need to cut some off the plastic tabs like battery holders, and some motor mount tabs etc. we want a hull with seriously nothing else except some tabs that you can mount plates too. So the "stinger mounts on back" need to be popped off, and those ad the drive shaft holes filled too. After that is do, we can talk about starting to make the hardware fit. You can listen to Shawn about the sizes and it does help having the back stick out further and actually I think it would wheelie and flip if it wasn't longer.
    To make a stand is easy, just need a block of wood.

I'm excited to see you start this build. I want this to not have the problems mine has. I'm going to try and find one if these hulls and start again same setup just carry over to a new hull and fix the problems I did.

Thanks for your explanation Shawn, really appreciated! :)
    It seems a 4mm setup might be a bit large for what I want, I like the idea of something smaller TBH, especially if I'm going to run it on 3S, I'll need a smaller prop

How do you know, that the shafts etc will fit into the stinger drive? It seems to me that the drive shaft is connected to the flex shaft, inside the stinger tube?
    If so, are there different sizes of shafts, which then fits the 1/8th flex shaft, which fits a specific teflon liner, that then fit a specific thickness of stuffing tube?

Also, those bushes, are they needed at both ends of the stinger drive? Should I look for drives with these included, or are they readily available?
    I assume they are there to take most of the wear and tear out of the drive as well as stabilize the prop shaft?

I get what you're saying Mason, I'm just keen to have all the gear here :D in reality though, I'm currently waiting on a whole heap of gear, but it's all for a new Jet boat build (this boat was bought also, but I've got no hardware yet)

Hopefully all of it will start arriving over the next few days, and I can start gathering gear for the new Musculus (or 757 High Wind or whatever they are called LOL)
    Sorry for all the silly questions, I guess it will all be revealed in good time (I hope I won't be missing bits though )

Cheers
    Martin

YAY!! Look what the postie brought to me :D
    And it's even in the Aussie Green and Gold colour!!! WOOT WOOT (don't actually think I'll be painting the boat now... maybe later)

Yes, the stock batteries are charging, yes I'm going to take it out this arvo :) 3S test/ burnout on the weekend, just gotta get the rescue boat sorted hahaha

IMAG0719 (Medium).jpg

Nice when u gunna start tearing her down? After the first run? Haha

Nice when u gunna start tearing her down? After the first run? Haha
    I doubt it will last much longer than that first run hahahaha and even if it does it'll probably still be torn down

Good. Can't wait to see this build. I want to redo mine too.

I want to get back in the hobby everywhere. I want my boats good like they are now and I want my rc10 to be as fast as my boats and I want my crawler to get creepin again and well I want a nitro again.

Thanks for your explanation Shawn, really appreciated! :)
    It seems a 4mm setup might be a bit large for what I want, I like the idea of something smaller TBH, especially if I'm going to run it on 3S, I'll need a smaller prop

How do you know, that the shafts etc will fit into the stinger drive? It seems to me that the drive shaft is connected to the flex shaft, inside the stinger tube?
    If so, are there different sizes of shafts, which then fits the 1/8th flex shaft, which fits a specific teflon liner, that then fit a specific thickness of stuffing tube?

Also, those bushes, are they needed at both ends of the stinger drive? Should I look for drives with these included, or are they readily available?
    I assume they are there to take most of the wear and tear out of the drive as well as stabilize the prop shaft?

I get what you're saying Mason, I'm just keen to have all the gear here :D in reality though, I'm currently waiting on a whole heap of gear, but it's all for a new Jet boat build (this boat was bought also, but I've got no hardware yet)

Hopefully all of it will start arriving over the next few days, and I can start gathering gear for the new Musculus (or 757 High Wind or whatever they are called LOL)
    Sorry for all the silly questions, I guess it will all be revealed in good time (I hope I won't be missing bits though )

Cheers
    Martin
    Some of the struts will have a pair of bushings,some will have a pressed in steel one,and this is the preferred http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...Sport-20-strut You can replace the bushing easily though they last a long time so long as you get your prop balanced well.If you should get a 4mm setup it can be drilled out to put that bushing in.I did it on my twin Gieco build a bit ago.

thanks for that mate, I think I understand now :)

I've gone and created a little package from one of the better Aussie sites, $27.95 without postage for the flex bits
    I can't seem to find a stinger or a strudder that would fit?!? Am I understanding it right, do you press in the size bushing you require for the thickness of the shaft you run? Or is there something else that would tell me what would be the right size?

Cheers
    Martin

1/8" outer tube $4.00
    http://shop.rcboatbitz.com.au/index....roducts_id=119

1/8" teflon liner $3.00
    http://shop.rcboatbitz.com.au/index....roducts_id=902

1/8" flex cable with end $15.00
    http://shop.rcboatbitz.com.au/index....roducts_id=123

1/8" drive dog $3.00
    http://shop.rcboatbitz.com.au/index....roducts_id=138

M3 threaded prop nut $2.95
    http://shop.rcboatbitz.com.au/index....roducts_id=713

You'll need a motor shaft - 1/8 adapter connector.

this is for the best, strutter, pass!
    Last edited by Southwest; 11-04-2012 at 12:57 PM.

I have a turnigy 2700 where it has a heat sink built in. If you lay the battery sideways it works nice. Or straight.

You'll need a motor shaft - 1/8 adapter connector.
    thanks mate, I believe it comes with it

From the site:
    1/8" flex cable with end
    $15.00
    300mm long complete with prop end.

Thanks for the setup suggestion South Fork
    Correct me please if I'm wrong, but .130 = ~3.3mm and 1/8 inch = ~3.17mm, to me suggests that they are very similar in strength?
    Either way, if someone points me in a direction of a "kit" with all bit included, I'd just go that way...
    I understand all the pieces that go into the drive train now, but I don't really understand the sizes and what fits together...
    Looking at HK for bits, I find nothing of interest, e.g. a 4mm flex shaft, but none of the other bits... they suck! :p

Cheers
    Martin

This is for the best, strutter, i'll pass.
    Last edited by Southwest; 11-04-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Strutter seldom works!

Are you going to post a video on 3s?

Hey Mason,

I've already pulled the boat down :D (and even sanded it as well!!)
    I'm thinking those two toy motors, might end up in a little cheap as chips hydrofoil :D

Damfurst already posted a vid up of the boat on 2S and 3S: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVCHi...ature=youtu.be

Cheers
    Martin

Lets see some pics!!!!

hahaha, OK OK OK :D
    I started a new thread, only to realize it was on RC Universe I had done it... do'h :p

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11287828/tm.htm

I could start one here as well, but didn't want to spam Nutbar's thread

Looks good bud. Make sure you fill those holes good.

hell yeah, those holes would cause quite a drag I reckon

What do you think about motor size, some people go smaller than what you did...
    I found a 3200KV 2860 sized motor, which should do the job in theory... I'm just wondering if the size of the motor and thus extra power is required/ utilized?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast