Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Balaenoptera Musculus. Upgrades?

Default Balaenoptera Musculus. Upgrades?

Hello, everyone. I bought one of these boats. It's called a Balaenoptera Musculus. http://www.handhelditems.com/2334-ba...t-p-54897.html It's a very fun simple toy grade boat. I upgraded the battery from a 6cell 1800mah NiMh to a 7cell 5000mah, and it works well, but I have several questions for the experts.

1. Would I be able to use a 2s lipo in this boat?

2. Would 2s lipo likely be faster than 7cell NiMH?

3. If I use a 2s 5000mah lipo for example, what minimum C rating should I use?

4. Where could I get information and/or help converting this boat to twin brushless, ESC, 2.4ghz, and water cooled?

5. If needed, is there someone I could pay to convert it for me since I am not very handy?

Thx in advance for all responses!

Several folks have done this one in brushless, it seems to run well with the extra power. You would need to go single drive and rudder for any decent performance out of it.

A good motor for it would be a 2845 Leopard, the 2550kv for 3s or the 3300kv for 2s. I would recommend a 60a ESC minimum.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Here's one modified to brushless:

NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

That 'toy' runs smoother on the water than some hobby grade boats. And if it's ABS, it can take a beating. I like the hull shape too - 'sexy'. Should be a fun build.
    Legend 36 sailboat, KMB Powerjet Ed Hardy Viper, ABC jet pwrd BBY Oval Master, ABC Hobby Jetski, NQD Tear Into's, HK Discovery 500, MickieBeez pwrd Jet Rigger!, Davette/Gravtix jet sprint, KMB Powerjet Pursuit, NQD pwrd Jet Catamaran!,Steam pwrd African Queen, Sidewinder airboat, Graupner Eco Power

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    That 'toy' runs smoother on the water than some hobby grade boats. And if it's ABS, it can take a beating. I like the hull shape too - 'sexy'. Should be a fun build.
    Hey Dave, Carl from Little Rock, those boats are made out of a fibrous material, I have taken one down to the bare and it is an unusal makeup. I have several NQD mods and have always wanted to do this one.

We helped Mason tune this one up https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...wer&highlight=
    There should be vid somewhere near the end of the thread. Darn,now I got to go find it.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    We helped Mason tune this one up https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...wer&highlight=
    There should be vid somewhere near the end of the thread. Darn,now I got to go find it.
    I posted the other one above cuz it seemed to run better and there was more footage.

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    I posted the other one above cuz it seemed to run better and there was more footage.
    Plus that thread tends to go on & on. Hehe

Check out my YouTube YouTube.com/masonis1
    I have it on there
    I put a turning 2700 kv water cooled motor in and a strut and rudder as. A guy that donated it, thanks again, and I used a couple different esc and lipos.

I need to do some adjusting and as you can see in my videos it bounces but it's fine.
    When speed isnt the option, change your ways

Quote Originally Posted by Nutbar View Post
    Hello, everyone. I bought one of these boats. It's called a Balaenoptera Musculus. http://www.handhelditems.com/2334-ba...t-p-54897.html It's a very fun simple toy grade boat. I upgraded the battery from a 6cell 1800mah NiMh to a 7cell 5000mah, and it works well, but I have several questions for the experts.

1. Would I be able to use a 2s lipo in this boat?

2. Would 2s lipo likely be faster than 7cell NiMH?

3. If I use a 2s 5000mah lipo for example, what minimum C rating should I use?

4. Where could I get information and/or help converting this boat to twin brushless, ESC, 2.4ghz, and water cooled?

5. If needed, is there someone I could pay to convert it for me since I am not very handy?

Thx in advance for all responses!
    Go single flex driven brushless

Here's Masons, he's goin easy on it, runs well:

Yeah that lipo didn't give near enough power. It was a 3s but tht seriously was the last run on that lipo. It was a puffed rhino 1050mah 3s

I will try getting some running video either tomorrow or this weekend. I'm trying to start up my build to help you a little. Check it out to see my current setup.

Thx for the replies, guys. Altho, u all kind of drive me crazy because you rarely answer most or all of my questions.

1. So, a 2s 5000mah 30c lipo with a low voltage alarm would probably work well in the stock Musculus?

2. Would a 2s lipo likely be faster than 7cell NiMH?

3. What about keeping it twin motor with no rudder (or possibly with a rudder), just upgrading to brushless, ESC, water cooled, and 2.4ghz? Would twin brushless still work well?

Thx for the replies, guys. Altho, u all kind of drive me crazy because you rarely answer most or all of my questions.

1. So, a 2s 5000mah 30c lipo with a low voltage alarm would probably work well in the stock Musculus?

2. Would a 2s lipo likely be faster than 7cell NiMH?

3. What about keeping it twin motor with no rudder (or possibly with a rudder), just upgrading to brushless, ESC, water cooled, and 2.4ghz? Would twin brushless still work well?
    Ok 1, 7.4 would be slower than 8.4 volts. So a 2s wouldn't be faster, actually slower. Might have more power but I really doubt a higher top speed.

A 2s would e safer because of a lower voltage and woul have more power than the 7.2 but it will be far more danerous if you run past the LVC.

I tried twin brushless, for one its more expensive, too heavy, no way to steer it like the old system, need more battery, it's easier I go single motor with a rudder. Instead of two motors and esc you only need one of each.

I was using exceed out runners my first try, twins, and it didn't do it. Even those small out runners with 35a esc were too heavy!!!

2s would be slower?! I know it's only 7.4v compared to 8.4v, but I thought it would be faster cuz it's lipo compared to NiMH. In that case,

1. What do you think is the fastest battery this boat could handle stock? 7cell Nimh? 8 cell nimh? 9 cell nimh? 3s lipo?

2. I understand twin brushless being more expensive and complex, but why would it be too heavy? Do brushless motors weigh a lot more than brushed? I thought brushless was supposed to be a lot more powerful/faster? Would it require two ESC's? Besides, lipos are a lot lighter than nimh, so that would help compensate with weight, correct? Couldn't you just steer it the same way as stock? Or just put a rudder in between the two props?

3. Would it be possible to use bigger props on the stock boat without burning anything?

Honestly, I am not really interested in doing a single brushless setup on this boat. I want to keep it twin. I like the twin motors. I think it's cool!

Get a brushed ESC that can handle the two motors easily so you dont have to water cool it. Run the motors off of the one ESC counter rotating the props by wiring one backwards, add a center rudder and a servo and presto!

2s would be slower?! I know it's only 7.4v compared to 8.4v, but I thought it would be faster cuz it's lipo compared to NiMH. In that case,

1. What do you think is the fastest battery this boat could handle stock? 7cell Nimh? 8 cell nimh? 9 cell nimh? 3s lipo?

2. I understand twin brushless being more expensive and complex, but why would it be too heavy? Do brushless motors weigh a lot more than brushed? I thought brushless was supposed to be a lot more powerful/faster? Would it require two ESC's? Besides, lipos are a lot lighter than nimh, so that would help compensate with weight, correct? Couldn't you just steer it the same way as stock? Or just put a rudder in between the two props?

3. Would it be possible to use bigger props on the stock boat without burning anything?

Honestly, I am not really interested in doing a single brushless setup on this boat. I want to keep it twin. I like the twin motors. I think it's cool!
    It's voltage not type. Voltage! Lipos just put power to better use to say, they give more power throughout the cycle.

It's too much weight because you don't want the Same size motors as stock, you need to remove the old receiver an esc and then make new motor mounts or buy them, it's just more weight to go faster, also tere is no way, I FOUND, to steer usin throttle. Just can't happen after market.

Bigger props on the stock drive line is a no, there isn't a locknut to hold props on an they don't sell any bigger props.

If you get a flex drive, you can get a drive dog and use different props.

Twin motors may be cooler, but in all seriousness, you don't need more than one on this. It actually will be faster single!

Do a conversion like mine except do some stuff better and learn from my mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    Get a brushed ESC that can handle the two motors easily so you dont have to water cool it. Run the motors off of the one ESC counter rotating the props by wiring one backwards, add a center rudder and a servo and presto!
    I don't really know whether he wants to go faster, e more reliable, or just be lipo power...

There is a guy that runs a similar boat, its some NQD, he has the stock drivelines, 2 brushless motors, and a center rudder with servo, its on youtube, i'll look tonite.............it runs well!

I'd like to know wht he is running because I couldn't find motors that would fit in stock locations and use original hardware.

Just ran mine on 3s video tonight. It's beyond fast now

This is crazy, i cant find your vid, it wont come up by clicking on it and its NOT in your channel, I even searched for the EXACT title "RC boat 3s test"................nothing!!

That's weird, try again and refresh....

Well, cant find the dual brushless, but there are plenty of single drive brushless conversions.

May as well show mine, kinda proud of it as its the only one I've seen that doesnt hop at higher speeds. Its actually one of the more rewarding ones I have done...........and alot of fun.

I was the same type twin brushed "Vector drive" boat..............27"

Pics below of before and after

Attached Images Attached Images

Did you finally see my video?

Nope, go to your channel and see if its there? Whats the actual title of it 'word for word'?

I hve a link and a video posted in this, I hve it in my threa also,

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast