Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: looking for RC boat club in CT

How do you guys feel about salt water? Because yellow mill creek on waterview ave is pretty ok for me at least stock boat though. Further more rage powerboats are down the street maybe we can go for a tour of the place. They build 30 ft activators and on any given day they have 32 skaters and many more.

Most of the time ...sunny side up!! Most!! This is my favorite place to go and almost 1 mile of room. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvi9KIth-kg

Gary that looks great. is that toby's pond?
    Last edited by acceleracion; 05-19-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Gary have you been to bunnells pond at beardsley park? its pretty huge i really think if we keep the boats near the park side as much as possible we'll be able to fish them out with the fishing poles in case of any problems. so far no permit needed.

I would love to try it out ....only have my little tenshock hydro to play with when I go. The boat in the video needs LOTS of room and easy access to retrieve if need be. Im pretty quirky about running that boat. I need DEAD calm water, NO ONE around to bother me and is the reason why I will go at 6:30 am to make a few passes. Way to much time and money to make a mistake. That video is exactly 90mph and boat now is at 104mph. Looking for a solid 105-108.

Quote Originally Posted by Heaving Earth View Post
    Hmmm ... For 200 bux I bought a kayak. It's always funny to me how guys with numerous Rc boats will keep spending on more.
    that's my way. most of the time I operate my RC boat in my kayak with a big zip lock bag over the controller. it's a blast and you can get up and close with it. but the 2 ponds in my town is too small to launch a kayak and I will use my tennis ball setup.

Quote Originally Posted by acceleracion View Post
    Well this is a long shot but anyone in the bridgeport area? I5ve thought of a few places:
    •Lake Forest, we would have to pay but it seems like a great location about Half a mile long.
    •The pond at Sea Side park Pretty small at 350 ft.
    •Bridgeport harbor on calm days, about another .5 mile place.
    •Space behind miamoque yacht club is a quarter mile.
    •Bunnells Pond at Beardsley park is awesome a lot of nitro rc car people around but its very deep and we cant put a retrieval boat in it not even peddle lol. Ive never seen anyone with rc boats there.
    •This one is also salt water but its a great spot its Yello Mill Creek, half mile space with good open access. I just got into rc boats and I launched mine there for the first time it was great cant wait to do it again. It is pretty boring by my self though.

We should organize at least 1 test meet to see how it goes.

Eddie
    thanks for the location tips but I'm not a fan for running my RC boats in salt water. I use to race stand up jetskis and you can see the damage of components in teardowns.

I ran in salt for many years, had mostly good luck lost a couple of cheap speedos and a motor or 2, but when I satrted getting into the bigger boats, more expensive speedos motors and stuff i stopped, then I went back to the salt water pond one day and 3 drops of salt water cost me 2 Shultz 40-160's ($1500 bucks) that was my last time running in salt water.
    We call ourselves the "Q"

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I would love to try it out ....only have my little tenshock hydro to play with when I go. The boat in the video needs LOTS of room and easy access to retrieve if need be. Im pretty quirky about running that boat. I need DEAD calm water, NO ONE around to bother me and is the reason why I will go at 6:30 am to make a few passes. Way to much time and money to make a mistake. That video is exactly 90mph and boat now is at 104mph. Looking for a solid 105-108.
    thats awesome man hope we can make a meet happen.

Oh I didnt know salt was that bad. Well ill see how beardsley park goes.

Default club in ct.

let me know how it goes at beardsley park. how far is the water from parking?

Yea every thing can get wet with fresh water and you just need to dry it out. Salt water....never stops eating away at everything. I also learned the hard way.It can be done but to me not at all worth it. A blow over in fresh water never a problem and thats the way I like.

Quote Originally Posted by urbs00007 View Post
    let me know how it goes at beardsley park. how far is the water from parking?
    very short not bad at all

Yea every thing can get wet with fresh water and you just need to dry it out. Salt water....never stops eating away at everything. I also learned the hard way.It can be done but to me not at all worth it. A blow over in fresh water never a problem and thats the way I like.
    Very good to know my investment is only about 480 but it would still hurt.

Default rc club

what motor, speed control, and batts you running in that thomas hydro? any data logging?

1530 .5y- castle 240hv -2-5000 22.2 volt 65-130c batteries and every run is data logged. pulls 44,500rpm at 104mph.

Buy that way if we can get a few guys togather for Beardsley Park I will build another boat just for that.
    Last edited by Gary; 05-21-2013 at 12:51 PM.

Ill try to talk to someone from the parks department.

Default club in ct.

gary, my 2230 1 y on 12-s pulled 7800 watts 32,000 rpm, 330 amps at 96 mph. 5000 ma. fightercat 400amp 16-s esc. might run again this year if i have time. did you try the 1527 and need to go up to the 1530?

So far I dont see anything about us not being able to be there. At beardsley park that is.
    http://www.municode.com/Library#/CT/...40.090USMUWHRE

Of course profesionalism woud be most important. I ALWAYS respect others around me when boating. Even if I got there first and some one comes along to go fishing I will let them know what I am doing and worst case I move, pain in the ass but whatever. I see it as here you have a nice quiet sunny day and here comes rc boats rippin up the water. Thats also why I will run my SAW boat sometimes 3 times a week at 6:30 am when there is never anyone around to see or complain. Remember....in this world it only takes one cry baby to change everything.

Default club in ct.

guys, what happened to dooley's pond off 17 in durham or middletown? we used to run there almost 30 years ago (nitro) and got kicked out because of noise. electric is quiet . what happened?

Default club in ct.

there is also hanover pond in meriden same thing noise got us shut down

Thats what the big problem is. I love the sound of nitro and started with that myself but the noise is wicked and draws way to much attention. I have even told guys running gas boats that we will be thrown out because of them. Electric is noise free practically , no fumes or gas in the water. To me its the only way to go. I go places where noone even knows im there because there is no noise. I dont know about dooleys pond though. As soon as the permits go threw for Tobys pond in Beacon Falls i will let you guys know. Thats where I always run my SAW boat.

Default club in ct.

is toby's pond busy? if you get permits what would be good times to run (besides sun-up) driving an hour to run and there's a fisherman there is frustrating.

I here you but that lake is massive so there is always someplace to run. But Igo at 6:30 am mostly mon -friday and I have NEVER seen anyone there. Weekends ....different gota get there early.

ok i just spoke to Shawn from the city of bridgeport's park's department, and i was given an ok for Bunnels Pond at Beardsley Park. His only request was a very understandable one and it was a cordial request of sound judgement on our part, with respect to the area, littering, foul language, and just general public park courtesy.

So i'll most likely try to make it out there very early next wednesday, thursday, friday. I might try to go today at 4pm, but the park will more than likely be full, raining, or too windy.

Remember....in this world it only takes one cry baby to change everything.
    I hear this loud and clear, i'd love for Beardsley park to become a nice hangout for a local rc boat club but i'd really hate for a premature end due to complaints on us.

Eddie

hey would love to run up there w you guys, I'm in Rye Brook NY right next to Greenwich, anly about 20-25 minutes from bridgeport. Do you have a retrieve boat?
    We call ourselves the "Q"

This is the rough size of Bunnells pond at Beardsley Park. No gas/nitro unfortunately. No actual full size boats allowed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast