Thread: 40 57 3 blade prop... really? How do you get this boat up to speed w/ this prop?

Default 40 57 3 blade prop... really? How do you get this boat up to speed w/ this prop?

I tried this grim prop (40,57,3), and I've tried every possible setting w/ strut height and angle and there is just no way to make this boat get up and go with it on. I couldn't even make this prop work in my rigger or on my revolt30. What is going on? Any thoughts.. I even rebalanced and sharpened just to test. PS this particualar prop noted is not going to be found any time soon.. so I would need to order one if I had a way to get it working. I did toss it hard as well, there was no launch fast enough to get this boat moving w/ that prop on it. I will say my octura props all get up and go fine and are fast.. so it's not a total loss if I never get this particular prop working.

it takes alot of blade thinning to get them to work properly, a standard balance and sharpen wont cut it with that prop
    VS1 FE - UL-1 - Motley Crew - Miss Geico - Kintec Prince - Rio 51z - 1/16 Summit - 1/10 Summit - Ken Block Rally - Kyle Busch Truck - Losi Mini SCT - BL E-MAXX - Assoc FT SC10 - Wild Willy - Clodbuster - Sand Scorcher......

Pete is exactly right. You need to have some serious skills to do this prop rite.

I literally had to thin the blades with a 1" belt sander
    VS1 FE - UL-1 - Motley Crew - Miss Geico - Kintec Prince - Rio 51z - 1/16 Summit - 1/10 Summit - Ken Block Rally - Kyle Busch Truck - Losi Mini SCT - BL E-MAXX - Assoc FT SC10 - Wild Willy - Clodbuster - Sand Scorcher......

Lol, yeah I spent a solid 4 hours with hand files....but man, that prop was fast once it was done rite.

Have had similar issues with two I have here. I could get it up and it was fast for SAW, but slowing down in the turns would kill the timing.
    Do they hold up after thinning out? How much are you taking it down to?

Hold it full throttle in the turns

And if I brake it?
    lol ;

I dunno lol I always just kept mine pinned

ABC makes this prop for Aquacraft. Sometimes they ship these out with really rounded and dull edge blades (very hard to sharpen). Sometimes you may get a good thin one with sharp edges that are easier to sharpen. Are you feeling lucky?

Had similar issues. Thinned mine quite a bit(1"belt sander also for the rough work), then smoothed out and polished, razor sharp. Get's up on plane reasonably even with my heavy 6600mah/65c 2s batts, and stays there pretty well even slowing down. Def playing around with strut as well. The easier route IMO if you don't want to put in as much work, is an Octura x440/3, seems to be a very similar prop and works pretty well also, with a lot less thinning to get it good.

The difference between these props is th 40/57 has more pitch which gives more top speed and also more lift, which is good for a hydro

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    The difference between these props is th 40/57 has more pitch which gives more top speed and also more lift, which is good for a hydro
    Hehe, I think I had the wrong prop in my hand when I compared the 2. I looked a little while ago and the pitch difference is noticeable. Nonetheless, I still got 45mph wit the x440/3, and it came out of the hole easier. Better top speed with he 40x57, but it's more finnicky on setup. Just got some good speed with a 2047, but need to tame down the lift to keep the blades in the water........