Thread: Best MG setup combo for all around fun?

Default Best MG setup combo for all around fun?

Hey Guys, Just joined the site and have been enjoying reading about the great builds a lot of you have done. I stumbled into the hobby after a buddy I run poker runs with brought his rc out after a run and it got me hooked. So I figured I would jump in and see what kind of build combos you would recommend for someone that is new to the hobby and just looking for an all around fun setup that will have a long run time and still run some good speed. Everything on my MG is 100% stock right now and its time to up the power and it capabilities for some more fun. As for budget, I dont really want to go to crazy as I would like to build a bigger hull down the line for running out on the lakes, but dont mind paying for quality.

What motor/esc/battery/prop combo would you suggest? and also who should I go to for an offset rudder?

Thanks in advance,

TJ

Welcome to ower site TJ,,, i personaly run my MG with the factory motor A turnigy T120 esc on 4s1p and a M445 prop,,, runs alittle faster and alot cooler and way longer, i almost get tired of running her she runs so long!!!! Where in NC are you im in between Bunn and Louisburg thats about 30mins from Raleigh!!!

NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by HYDROJERRY View Post
    Welcome to ower site TJ,,, i personaly run my MG with the factory motor A turnigy T120 esc on 4s1p and a M445 prop,,, runs alittle faster and alot cooler and way longer, i almost get tired of running her she runs so long!!!! Where in NC are you im in between Bunn and Louisburg thats about 30mins from Raleigh!!!
    Thanks for the welcome Jerry and the info on your setup. I am in Charlotte, right on the boarder of NC/SC. Did you mean 4s2p on the battery setup? If you are running a 4s1p setup, What battery are you running?

After talking with Steven by email(thanks again Steven) I have been doing a good bit of searching here on the forum and the 4s2p really seems to be the way to go on battery setup for longer run time, at least from what I have gathered being a rookie at all this rc stuff. Is there anywhere to buy the Parallel battery wires with bullet connectors?

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    Thanks for the links and parts list, I really appreciate it!

What would you suggest for the battery setup? 4s2p?

Quote Originally Posted by AMBUSHER View Post
    Thanks for the links and parts list, I really appreciate it!

What would you suggest for the battery setup? 4s2p?
    You really only need a pair of 2s 5000 40c's for that setup, but if you want 2p go with a pair of 3500-4000mah 4 cells.............you dont want to weigh it down too much.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    You really only need a pair of 2s 5000 40c's for that setup, but if you want 2p go with a pair of 3500-4000mah 4 cells.............you dont want to weigh it down too much.
    Thanks Wake!

Sorry AM,, i was wrong 4s2p,, i run 4x 2s 5000s in mine,,

Sorry AM,, i was wrong 4s2p,, i run 4x 2s 5000s in mine,,
    OK, so four 2s packs, 2 in series and paralleled with the other two, also in series = 4s2p 10,000 mah...........long runtimes!!

Thats wright!! Runs so long i almost get tired of showing off,,,,,Not realy. hahaha

Thats wright!! Runs so long i almost get tired of showing off,,,,,Not realy. hahaha
    Thats what I like to hear!

Now I just need to order some parts. Thanks again for the help guys!

I ran a 4s2p with four 2s packs for a while in my Pursuit, then I got two 4s 4000 40c packs to have 8000 mah which is plenty to me............its a nice compromise between weight and runtime IMO.

Default Battery help

Hey guys new to the forum! For my 14 th birthday i plan on getting either the proboat blackjack 29 or the miss geico 29 inch! Any opinions on which one! Anyways i want a plan incase the stock esc fries and i dont want to get the stock replacement for $130 ish. I was looking around and found on hobbykings website some different turnigy marine escs. But these were only single battery but much cheaper and a higher amp rate. Would i need to buy 2 of these or would i need just one. The stock esc runs the batteries in series so if i got just say a traxxas 1/16 series splitter would that work. I am planning on running dual 2s 5000 mah 50 c lipos from venom(has anybody had anything bad with venom). I am not going from run time just reliability. In the future i could higher the mah... What do you guys think, eould this work

if you don't mind paying for quality and want to get some batteries that are gonna provide solid voltage charge after charge you should consider getting some of the Dinogy packs mark F here on the forum sells. the 4s 4000 mah would be perfect for the MG. I personally welcome the addition of a little extra weight since I run in choppy water often and it helps keep it settled. Kintec does sell parallel connectors if you don't want to make your own.

http://www.kintecracing.com/ parallel connector is right on the front page

http://www.dinogylipos.com/index.php...-4s-65c-detail

Thank you so much i am siding with the blackjack 29 would these lipos still work. Is 4000 mahrobably all i need which would total 8000, that sounds plenty. Thank you again

Sorry for jumping in but what does the second number on the lipo mean? Like 3s2p? The 2p?

Does 4s2p translate to a total of 4 cells in 2 battery packs?
    Miss Geico 29BL. www.freightcom.com for all your shipping needs

The p is the parallel connection.

It translates to 2 x 4s packs. 8 cells total but maintaining 4 cell voltage. Parallel is red from one pack to red with another then those go to the red on the esc. Black from one with black from the other then connect to black with the esc. Series is black from one pack to red to the other then the remaining black and red connect to the esc

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaughnessy View Post
    The p is the parallel connection.

It translates to 2 x 4s packs. 8 cells total but maintaining 4 cell voltage. Parallel is red from one pack to red with another then those go to the red on the esc. Black from one with black from the other then connect to black with the esc. Series is black from one pack to red to the other then the remaining black and red connect to the esc
    Okay thanks for the insight. Do you happen to know how much run time I can expect to get out of my 2, 5000mah Venom lipos? As well as max speed on my stock MG29 running these batteries?
    Miss Geico 29BL. www.freightcom.com for all your shipping needs

2 - 2s 5000 mah will give you ~ 5-8 minutes run time. Stock speed is mid 30-ish.

Does the stock blackjack 29 esc run parrallel or series cause you guys told me to run 4s packs which is fine but i dont want that to be 8s on the 4s esc. maybe ill just get some 2s packs instead. Definitely going dinogy but my charger only goes up to 6 amps this would be fine for the 2 4s 4000 mah that i was gonna get but that was parrallel making 8000 mah. I know i can ask mark for some 2s 8000 mah but that would be huge and take forever to charge on 6 amps. so if i got 2 2s 6000 mah lipos what would the difference be from 6000 mah to 8000 mah. would i be losing a lot of runtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaler15 View Post
    Does the stock blackjack 29 esc run parrallel or series cause you guys told me to run 4s packs which is fine but i dont want that to be 8s on the 4s esc. maybe ill just get some 2s packs instead. Definitely going dinogy but my charger only goes up to 6 amps this would be fine for the 2 4s 4000 mah that i was gonna get but that was parrallel making 8000 mah. I know i can ask mark for some 2s 8000 mah but that would be huge and take forever to charge on 6 amps. so if i got 2 2s 6000 mah lipos what would the difference be from 6000 mah to 8000 mah. would i be losing a lot of runtime.
    If you use the stock wiring, attaching 2-4s packs will give you 8s, which would probably be very short lived! You would need to modify the stock wiring to run 2-4s packs in parallel. If you look at the wire connectors that connect to the battery and see 2 different colors on one, and both the same color on the other connector, it is a series setup, ie, it is actually chaining the batteries "end to end" which makes the voltage of each pack add together for the total.

The difference in run time between the 6000 and 8000 would probably only be 2-ish minutes, or something close to that.

Thanks bob, is it possible that you could send me a wire diagram for the stock esc to run parrallel

Right now you have one "jumper wire" that connects a "-" wire from one battery to the the "+" wire of the other battery. For parallel, you would need two jumper wires. One jumper wire from the "+" side of one of the battery connections to the "+" side of the other battery connection with the jumper terminating on the esc side of the connector going to the "+" side of the esc. You would do the same with a second wire using the "-" wires, with that jumper terminating on the esc side of the "-" connector attached to the "-" side of the esc wire. I made a quick sketch in Paint - not the best graphics but should get the point across.

series_parallel_esc.jpg
    Last edited by bob_t; 02-04-2013 at 10:04 PM. Reason: added sketch

Dinogy is still on backorder which got me thinking... Have any of you guys run 1 4s OR 1 5s lipo in a blackjack 29 or miss geico. There is plenty of room in front of the motor! If i ordered a big ( 6000 mah) lipo. What are your guys thoughts??