Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom Guitar Build

This is some neat info...........

The SG has a thinner body than the Les Paul, and is much lighter as a result. However, owing to the body's light weight, the SG is infamous for being "neck heavy". The lighter, thinner, one layer body means the SG, unlike the Les Paul, is particularly applicable for harmonic feedback playing techniques. The SG's neck profile is typically shallower than that of the Les Paul, though this varies between production years and individual guitars. The SG also lacks the carved maple top and body binding of the Les Paul. Unlike the Les Paul's neck, which joins the body at the 16th fret, the SG's neck joins the body at the 19th fret, which allows easier access to higher frets. Despite the differences in body design, both models share similar electronics and controls. In terms of sound, the SG is often described as having more "bite" than a Les Paul, but lacking in low end.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

made some progress today. got the handrails planed down, got the mahogany planed down to sandwich between all the maple. heres a few pics. ill glue with gorilla glue tomorrow
    IMG_2869.jpgIMG_2873.jpgIMG_2875.jpgIMG_2877.jpgIMG_2879.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    Dont tell Angus young and Tony Iommi that.......................... they made that guitar scream............and it made them alot of $$

Some guy named Clapton used one in Cream starting in 1967
    angus makes it scream for sure…
    tony iommi is just a terrible guitar player imo.
    clapton is also great

i was able to get the wood glued up today. wet the wood, then a generous amount of gorilla glue and used a crappy brush to smear it around, then clamp. you can see the glue foaming up and coming out the seams. this is how it should look.
    IMG_2883.jpgIMG_2885.jpgIMG_2887.jpgIMG_2889.jpg

heres how the neck looks all planed down and ready to start routing for truss rod and other stuff. also a paper template i made for the body idea.
    IMG_2900.jpgIMG_2901.jpgIMG_2898.jpg

Another guitarist/bassist here. Sure is an interesting thread, Dana, I'll be watching with much interest. Do you do the fretwork yourself? My current go-to axe is a 2006 Ravenwest 6 string bass. Walnut/maple neck-through. I've since disable the preamp - I'd always forget to unplug the cord, thus went through a sh*tload of 9v battieries. I just boil my strings every now and then to brighten the sound back up. Has a beautiful sound in passive mode - crunchy and growly, or smooth like pudding and all in-between. I'm an Ampeg man, but lately I've been using a vintage Eden combo for smaller venues. Nice, clean BIG sound, and easy to transport.
    Legend 36 sailboat, KMB Powerjet Ed Hardy Viper, ABC jet pwrd BBY Oval Master, ABC Hobby Jetski, NQD Tear Into's, HK Discovery 500, MickieBeez pwrd Jet Rigger!, Davette/Gravtix jet sprint, KMB Powerjet Pursuit, NQD pwrd Jet Catamaran!,Steam pwrd African Queen, Sidewinder airboat, Graupner Eco Power

The old boiling strings trick lol. Bass strings are expensive!!!! I'm getting ready to order up some wood for the fretboard, yes everything is hand done. Including frets.... Glad to see more interest in my build thanks.
    P.s. I'm trying to come up with headstock design, but I haven't had any luck. It's tough!!! Ideas??

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    The old boiling strings trick lol. Bass strings are expensive!!!! I'm getting ready to order up some wood for the fretboard, yes everything is hand done. Including frets.... Glad to see more interest in my build thanks.
    P.s. I'm trying to come up with headstock design, but I haven't had any luck. It's tough!!! Ideas??
    I know it's a acoustic guitar but I have always liked the look of the Ovation.

Ovatio-1n.jpg
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Well, tonight I ordered ebony for fretboard, and some curly maple for the top of the body. Got a two way truss rod and some pearl for inlays.

back at it today. i cut the fretboard and trimmed to size, 1 11/16 nut width. also routed for two way truss rod
    IMG_2977.jpgIMG_2978.jpgIMG_2980.jpgIMG_2984.jpgIMG_2985.jpg

ok ive been busy with it. got fretboard mostly finished, mahogany sides, and curly maple top. rought cut neck and glued ears on headstock then rough shaped.
    IMG_2994.jpgIMG_2987.jpgIMG_2989.jpgIMG_3039.jpgIMG_3040.jpg

IMG_3060.jpggluing maple top

Mad skills Dana,Mad skills

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Mad skills Dana,Mad skills
    We are not worthy! What a fun project!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Thanks Shaun and darrin!. Appreciate the interest -)

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Thanks Shaun and darrin!. Appreciate the interest -)
    All the close buddies when I was younger were in bands so I still like to remember the wild times (hehe) and still love my music.A couple of them friends made it.

I hear ya man. Music is my first love... Any of your friends I might recognize Shaun?

Well from the old,old crowd Ray&Brian from Trooper(I try to see them at least once a year),there was some shenanagens with Chad from Nickleback(too big for old friends now,I didn't even see him when I worked on his house),Neil from 5440 is a good guy and I still see Duane from Default around now and again.I used to host alot of pig roasts and such so it made for a good jam.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Well from the old,old crowd Ray&Brian from Trooper(I try to see them at least once a year),there was some shenanagens with Chad from Nickleback(too big for old friends now,I didn't even see him when I worked on his house),Neil from 5440 is a good guy and I still see Duane from Default around now and again.I used to host alot of pig roasts and such so it made for a good jam.
    Right on man. Yes I def recognize some of those names.... Pig roasts are great aren't they? Rock on brutha

That is talent! Looking at all these fabulous photos just reaffirms my belief that one has to be a true artist inorder to make an instrument.
    Man, I wish I have some knowledge how a cello is made, alas, i don't, and may be it is a good thing that I don't... lol

Building a boat is much easier than building a guitar lol

I know, and I think I should be in depression since I can barely build a boat!

Lol naw dude gotta start somewhere

more. got the top on, frets done the old fashion way, and neck hand shaped. pics
    IMG_3063.jpgIMG_3068.jpgIMG_3081.jpgIMG_3085.jpgIMG_3093.jpg

That is so wicked,you'll have to get vid of it running.

Absolutely Shawn.... \m/ M \m/

Dana, do you use a template to get the fret spacing, or is there a formula? And how do you radius the fretboard? I've wondered about these things in the past. What an informative post - I'm thoroughly impressed. Good looking job, Dewd!
    Legend 36 sailboat, KMB Powerjet Ed Hardy Viper, ABC jet pwrd BBY Oval Master, ABC Hobby Jetski, NQD Tear Into's, HK Discovery 500, MickieBeez pwrd Jet Rigger!, Davette/Gravtix jet sprint, KMB Powerjet Pursuit, NQD pwrd Jet Catamaran!,Steam pwrd African Queen, Sidewinder airboat, Graupner Eco Power

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast