Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Little Twin G

Default Little Twin G

This started out as a replacement hull for my split Miss Behavin' that I got locally for $60.I decided that the MB can be fixed and have battle scars so this hull is going twin.

I got some 4mm stingers from Promise Hobby that I will try to take out to 3/16. These are going to need some trimming and mods to work,but they are going to work

I also got a 115mm push/pull rudder a while back in hopes of it working on a hydro.It did not.So it suits this build.
    This pic shows where the trimming will need to be done

This build may take awhile as I have been busy at work.The hull bottom will end up white as it will be getting the blueprint treatment.
    The motivation shall be tame with a pair of 1800kv 6 pole PB motors.ESC's are yet to be determined.Suggestions?
    Last edited by srislash; 09-03-2012 at 01:55 PM.

hehehey! looks like a great project Shawn! So far so good bud!

Twin T-120 would be okay I guess for 4s. You may also try those esc's and sirius motors you posted on Mardon's thread.
    My Aquacraft SV27's old Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoTm4Btz41Q
    MHZ Micro Iceberg, Skunksworks Gen2 Cat twin, Aquacraft SV27, SM29 1515 sold.

Quote Originally Posted by tagasagwan View Post
    hehehey! looks like a great project Shawn! So far so good bud!

Twin T-120 would be okay I guess for 4s. You may also try those esc's and sirius motors you posted on Mardon's thread.
    Heck,I was thinking a pair of 60's or maybe 90's.In tame trim the Shocker only pulls 80 amps and that is with 4518 or 648 props.I doubt I'll get that big on there.
    Though,I could throw the Castle outrunners on 8s in there But I better beef it up then.

A new project is always a good reason for new tools

This will also be good for thinning props.So I trimmed the stinger mount to tuck in a bit tighter as there is not a lot of transom to mount to.

So now the stingers are flush with the ride pads.

I may add plywood to the bottom of the pads as an alternative to blueprinting.It would allow me to run the pad over the stinger mount somewhat as well.

This is what I was thinking of when I said"run the pad over the stinger"

And now that I got her gutted...

And the center stuffing tube removed

I am now committed to making this a twin.
    Last edited by srislash; 09-03-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Its great seeing your projects Shawn! It makes me wanna go back to FE!! hehehe
    Keep us updated!

OK Mac,you never know when a new project will show itself so I best take care of one more.

It was an unexpected day off today so I charge forth. Here are the templates for the transom doublers

It is my "thing to bond them to the top deck as well instead of just on the bottom area.I thought this a good idea on my Shocker and am glad I did it.
    I also got the motor mount template done

Now on to my big sheet of CF.

My MG now has no innards ever since I traded the motor and esc to Jason - so your project might just be the thing I need to get it rolling again.
    However, its hard to work on a 30" MG when you basically have a 37" version of it a mere few steps away - hahahaha!
    Do visit our little thread later and I'll post some pics.........

Yayy More 37" pics

Looking good Shawn. Ill be curious how she runs after your done. As for the ride pads, I know my mystic is horribly cupped and will take a good amount of work to clean up. Seems like a pretty normal thing for these hulls. A quick off topic question if you don't mind, how does your shocker hull look on the ride pads?

I didn't have to do a thing to my Shocker blueprint wise,getting it to corner and handle nice was another story though.
    My thread is here https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...hawn-s-Shocker

I got the stingers drilled out to accept the 1/4 tubes and then the Speedmaster bushings.

It was a successful mission.I was worried as there is not a lot of metal to work with,Check the far right one.

I also got the mounts and doublers cut this week.

looking good Shawn! hey bro, what did you used to cut those CF boards? I still yet to cut mine. hehehe!

Quote Originally Posted by tagasagwan View Post
    looking good Shawn! hey bro, what did you used to cut those CF boards? I still yet to cut mine. hehehe!

I have a coping saw and spare blades

Oh! the one with a very thin blade and wide handle? I think my father in law has one. hehehe!

Just grab a couple spare blades as the CF will dull them.Especially the motor mount plate that I made you(lots of layers).

Yeah they are multiple layers of CF. Very nice! Thanks bud!

Sweet! Thanks for sharing!! Now I know what struts I can use if I want to do the same.

Nortavlag Bulc

Alsume Shawn!!!! I had a AQ Miss Vegas that ihad carbon plates as the front ride pads, worked pritty good and looked cool too, why didnt you use sv-27 stingers on it, think ive seen someone use them one an mg before but i could be wrong anyway excilent job on those motor mounts, nice and clean... Did i hear you make CF plates??? I would love one, they are so expensive for a little tinny sheet!!

The only other Twin MG that I know of would be from our bud,"Tiq". Is that what he used.I didn't want to bug him but did hunt for a build thread from it to no avail.

Yeah it was Tiqueman,,, i thought he used them but i could be wrong!!! why cant you just put the stuffing tubes straight out the hull and use them as stingers, tomuch vibration maybe??

He machined aluminum tubes and glued them into the hull solid as stingers

If they are robust enough and proper glue is used they are very strong. He beached it once and the stingers survived.

Quote Originally Posted by HYDROJERRY View Post
    Yeah it was Tiqueman,,, i thought he used them but i could be wrong!!! why cant you just put the stuffing tubes straight out the hull and use them as stingers, tomuch vibration maybe??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nortavlag Bulc

Thats it,,, new i saw them somewhere but thought they were cut down sv-27 stingers my bad,, Good catch there Ray, yeah now i remember cuz i told him i thought they looked like the barrel out of my 9mm pistal....

Quote Originally Posted by HYDROJERRY View Post
    Thats it,,, new i saw them somewhere but thought they were cut down sv-27 stingers my bad,, Good catch there Ray, yeah now i remember cuz i told him i thought they looked like the barrel out of my 9mm pistal....
    Haha The thought crossed my mind of doing solids but this is only my second twin build and I did find I had to keep tweaking the Shocker(poor Shocker)as I tuned it and improved it.
    Hey Ray how'd you get his pics?And where for that matter?

I saved them from his build thread it's in here somewhere???
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    I saved them from his build thread it's in here somewhere???
    I hunted and hunted and could not find that thread.It was before my time here. I know he is swamped busy so didn't want to bug him. That's OK,I figured it out.

So Ray,what do you think of my plywood ride pad idea there?I would go right up to near the front and maybe even step them a bit.Like my Shocker was.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ild&highlight=

This is the running twin thread. Can't find original???

A link might be in there somewhere??

The ride pad is o.k. as long as it is as short as possible at the transom. Just use it to create sharp edges.

Many other racers/boaters have taken Hydromarine Drifters and done similar to help the handling some but, they were much more narrow that MG.

Maybe start with it flat and try steps later? Many options...
    Nortavlag Bulc

I was thinking of using it to cover that open spot on the stinger.That looks like a water in hull issue waiting to happen.

The transom doublers are in with CF cloth backing and if I can remember today to get some latex gloves I will do the rest of the CF layup and pop the motor mounts in at the same time.

In cleaning the inside of the hull I discovered just how thin these are.Nothing serious but good thing I am doing a layup.

are you going to repaint her or try to keep her original?? if so i have painted my turbine hatch and have a pritty close match to the original paint color if you need the info let me no..

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast