Thread: dual water pickup rudder for pb mystic and impulse

Default dual water pickup rudder for pb mystic and impulse

just as the title says, would like a dual water pickup rudder
    58" Venom Segad-48" Prather Deep Vee-41" Dumas 1/8 Hydro-34" Saga C1-32" Venom KOS P1-31" Pro Boat Impulse V1

It would be very simple to make a rear sponson water pickup that will not cause any extra drag.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    It would be very simple to make a rear sponson water pickup that will not cause any extra drag.
    I'd like to see a dual pickup for these boats as well. It would be nice to keep the transom clean with less hardware.

I'm looking for bolt-on dual-pick-up rudders for the Impulse and Geico/Blackjack/Mystic, too. Does anyone know if there is such a product? I can't find one via Google.
    Revolt 30, River Jet, Southampton Tug, Outcast 6S BLX, 8ight-E, Ten-SCBE, 22 2.0.
    '09 Miata.
    Ibanez basses and guitars. Mapex drums, Zildjian cymbals.

I didn't mean add extra hardware, I mean add a pickup to the bottom rear sponson pad. This can be as simple and cheap as a a bent piece of brass tubing or a purosely made sponson pickup the OSE sells. No extra hrdware and no extra drag like a rudder dual pickup or extra hardware on the transom.

Quote Originally Posted by SloHD View Post
    I'd like to see a dual pickup for these boats as well. It would be nice to keep the transom clean with less hardware.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    I didn't mean add extra hardware, I mean add a pickup to the bottom rear sponson pad. This can be as simple and cheap as a a bent piece of brass tubing or a purosely made sponson pickup the OSE sells. No extra hrdware and no extra drag like a rudder dual pickup or extra hardware on the transom.
    Gotcha. Like the little proboat 9's have...

I have a question... WHY do you feel you need dual water pickups??

I've run these boats since long before any of you could even get them, and have never had a need for more water flow.

If you want more volume of water through the system, replace the exit fitting or open up the existing one to have a larger hole, and use larger water tubing. This will allow a higher volume of water to pass through the system. It may slow down it's velocity slightly, which will also help it pick up more heat as it passes through the system.

Seems overly complex to run the ESC and Motor separately, and I find it awfully difficult to believe that you people are putting such HOT power systems in these boats that you don't run out of the hulls ability to handle the speed before you run out of heat capacity in the motor.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

I thought it was just an insurance thing (for peace of mind). Since FE setups don't need to operate in a specific heat range like a combustion engine, & the electronics are sensitive to excessive heat, it seems keeping things as cool as possible would be a good thing. For people looking to go faster without upgrading the electronics, that might mean too much prop. I'm only speculating the thought behind the popularity of dual water pickups on a single engine setup. I've fallen for it myself. Only recently have I learned from other experienced boaters that dual water pickups are really not necessary in a single motor application. I'm about to build my first twin cat & I'll only run one cooling line per side. I will admit, though, four coolant outlets kind of looks cool on a cat, haha. I'm thinking back to my heat transfer & fluid dynamics studies & I can't come up with a reason that separate cooling lines for motor & ESC would be bad for performance (as long as the coolant velocity isn't so high that the water doesn't have a chance to draw enough heat off before exiting). It's got to add a little extra drag from the extra inlet, & there's the extra cost. Otherwise, is there a reason not to do dual pickups (besides being a possible waste of time)?
    Last edited by lt130th; 08-18-2014 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    I have a question... WHY do you feel you need dual water pickups??

I've run these boats since long before any of you could even get them, and have never had a need for more water flow.

If you want more volume of water through the system, replace the exit fitting or open up the existing one to have a larger hole, and use larger water tubing. This will allow a higher volume of water to pass through the system. It may slow down it's velocity slightly, which will also help it pick up more heat as it passes through the system.

Seems overly complex to run the ESC and Motor separately, and I find it awfully difficult to believe that you people are putting such HOT power systems in these boats that you don't run out of the hulls ability to handle the speed before you run out of heat capacity in the motor.
    I agree with everything here but you live in WA and the water is much colder. It's best to not preheat the water before going into the motor, that's saying if you plumb the esc first.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

ok u Proboaters, would u plz show some pic's for us , so we can see what your talkin about, plz

Quote Originally Posted by lt130th View Post
    back to my heat transfer & fluid dynamics studies & I can't come up with a reason that separate cooling lines for motor & ESC would be bad for performance (as long as the coolant velocity isn't so high that the water doesn't have a chance to draw enough heat off before exiting).
    Have you ever sprayed down hot metal with a hand held water sprayer set to stream and had the water deflect off the metal your cooling and on to your sleeve ? The transfer is incredibly fast ! Don't be to concerned about flowing too much. More the better .
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein