Thread: Conformal Coating Warning

Default Conformal Coating Warning

I decided to put my Castle Ice2 200 ESC's in to use and sprayed the boards down with MG Chemicals Conformal Coating.After pulling the plastic casing off to gain access and spraying them down,I let them sit for awhile,I grabbed one only to have it fall apart on me.So what had occurred was that the spray had released the Heat Sink Compound that Castle uses to bond the fets to the aluminium.It also released the cooling tubes on one of the controllers.I then had to go to the Electronics store and purchase some new compound and re-apply.

This is something I thought should be mentioned as I myself have been using this spray on everything and now have to check on the Ice2 240 that I've been running in my DF.

On a side note,simple Isopropanal Alcohol cleans up the Conformal Coating wet or dry.

Thanks for reading guys and I can illustrate the procedure on the 240 if requested.

Shawn

Sounds like it needs a barrier coat before any wet coats. Spray 2 dry coats followed by a medium wet coat.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

That may be a good plan for future projects.I have them all fixed up good now.