Thread: why would their be more water than usual in the hull ?

Default why would their be more water than usual in the hull ?

I noticed today after running the boat that their was more water that leak into the hull than usual. After running the boat I have always noticed a little bit of water but this last couple of runs, a lot of water.

Also, exactly how does the water get pumped into the boat and through the tubing to cool the motors down ?

Thanks in advance., Marcus

Water gets "ramped Up" thru the water pick-up, whether it is a transom mounted pick up like the ones used in the Rio Ep or MiniWild Cat (Brushed Twin Drive) or the Wildcat Ep (Brushless, twin rudder). On those rudder-pick up ones there is a water pick up hole drilled/machined thru inside the blade so water travels up inside the blade to the exit-nipple and the silicone tube then transfers the water to the ESC and motor. In short, this "ramp-style" pick up only works when your boat attains certain speed, there is no pick up if the boat is stationary, and the volume/pressure it gathers is proportional to the speed of the boat.
    I have this boat, it leaks badly and I did not bother to check why, perhaps someone else can tell you how to go over it. I did grease it well too.

Thanks for the reply. Guess I'll just have to live with it.

Thanks again, Marcusg

First do a tub test and submerge it as deep as you can without water getting in through the top. See if any water comes in that way through the transom hardware holes, driveline or a seam crack in teh hull.

Then do a water flow test through the cooling lines. Take the line that connects to the hull from teh water pickup, disconnect and run water though the system from the tap. You might have to play with a few fittings from HomeDepot or Osh, but best to run with water as opposed to the air pressure test. You light have a leak in the cooling line itself, on the cooling jacket for the motor or whatever, but this would hilight that and you can fix it.

If all it is is water in the drive line coming up, you can remedy that with a 1-inch peice of silicone or cooling line tubing over the brass tubing and a 1/4" of it on the flex. Search for water up driveline or flexshaft and you will see pics of this illustrated for you. It's just a process of elimination....

Thanks, I will try that.

I have to ask a stupid question cuz I still do not understand exactly (or I'm just not that smart ) how water gets pumped into the tubes to cool the motor. Is the water "pumped" into the system from the heat of the motors cz I looked at it and just can't figure it out. I see the inlet tube sticking down by the rudder going up into the hull and around both motors and then out the side. Don't see how water gets in even with the boat running but then again, like I said that just me. Lol

Marcus,

You have the water pickup in the back. As the boat planes out, the water pickup skimms the water and basicly scoops it into the cooling line. Simple as I can put it. But the faster you go, the faster the water enters the system. Then the water goes through the tubing throught he various components connected.

Quote Originally Posted by sanyijr View Post
    Marcus,

You have the water pickup in the back. As the boat planes out, the water pickup skimms the water and basicly scoops it into the cooling line. Simple as I can put it. But the faster you go, the faster the water enters the system. Then the water goes through the tubing throught he various components connected.
    Ok. Can see that working it just seems like the tube is just sticking strait down and unable to pull water no matter how fast you are going. Having said that, I'll need to look at it again when I get home. Thanks for explaining it to me. Much appreciated.

Marcus,

The pick-up tube (I think its brass) should stick down just a 1/8" to 1/4" lower than teh transom or lowest part of the boat. So it is always in water. (except jumps)

Good luck!

Marcus, I think you are getting some great advice from sanyijr, just so I am not wasting your time, we are talking about the brushed/twin drive Miniwild cat?
    I am not trying to tell you anything you already know but your question has my curiosity peaked so I took mine out and looked what I did 3 years ago. I was really not very experienced then, not that I am so much better now, but i checked everything at the time , the few things I thought that might have contributed water coming in were: #1--the tube that enters the hull from above the transom, if pinched it will not be round and a gap might be present, #2-- the rubber boot that goes inside the hull, the outside there was a gap, I sealed it, #3--also the drain plug on mine did not fit well at all, I completely sealed it from the outside with some silicon sealent. ( many people hate this stuff because it leaves an oily residue that makes painting the hull impossible).
    I also checked all the screws that are tightened. The rudder bracket, the water pick up, and the bottom of the hull where the motor mounts are.
    I put mine in the pool and nothing leaked, but I remember once in motion I still got a fair amount, the cable is too thin for the usual silicone tube trick. People put a short length of this tube ( same tube they use for the cooling of the motor & ESC) at the end of the stuffing tube where the cable exits, it some how lessens the water that otherwise will come in. I think the cable is too thin for this trick to work.Sealing AQ Miniwild Cat 001.jpgSealing AQ Miniwild Cat 002.jpgSealing AQ Miniwild Cat 003.jpg

Well I did the "water test" in the sink and no leaks so it's gotta be either going through the drive shafts but I suspect the "cooling system" (for lack of a better term) as you suggested. I'm going to go run it either today or tomorrow and see.

Thanks, Marcusg

You mentioned that the tubing on the transom was hanging free. It should attach to the plastic pickup mounted low. If this was hanging free, your cooling wasn't working hence I doubt it is the source of your water intrusion. Check the steering rod boot as tlandauer stated as well as the antennae attachment. You are using hatch tape, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by bwells View Post
    You mentioned that the tubing on the transom was hanging free. It should attach to the plastic pickup mounted low. If this was hanging free, your cooling wasn't working hence I doubt it is the source of your water intrusion. Check the steering rod boot as tlandauer stated as well as the antennae attachment. You are using hatch tape, correct?
    If he is refering to the brushed/twin drive, hatch tape is not really needed, the hull has two gasket sealed round covers like the brushed Mini Rio.---unless the covers are not seated correctly. That is in addition to the hatch. I also doubt water can come up thru the shafts considering the speed of this boat, the shafts that rotate in the brass tubes have little-to-no- freeplay, if you grease them, chances are that something else is at play.

I agree about the hatch otherwise the water would be in the component compartment. It must be between the 2 halves and has to come from the transom or seam but he did the water test and nothing. Marcusg also said it is getting worse or more than usual like something is deteriorating. Marcusg, what was the outcome of the tubing on the transom? I'm with tlandauer on this one, steering rod boot or loose drain plug.
    Last edited by bwells; 08-24-2012 at 01:41 AM. Reason: addition

Marcus,

Any chance you can get a few close-up pics of the back end? .... Don't get discouraged.. I have similar issues in my Fastec. So you just need to work through each possibility. Start with the obvious. When you did the dunk test, did you submerge past the seam or joint line of the hull? I am not 100% sure about this boat, but does the hatch seal completely if you use tape. (lots of earlier models were not really designed with flat areas to tape to) So you could have just simple intrusion from the hatch. As you go faster and feel for at ease, you generate a little more water on the top of the boat.

But the water cooling thing is a little concerning... It sounds like not everything is connected properly. If you go the the product website, you should see the water pick-up out outlet and water should stream out when running. If not.... it needs to be corrected regardless of the water issue in the boat. But again, a few good pics should clear it up a bit...