Thread: motor choice big $ or little $ ?

Default motor choice big $ or little $ ?

I was going to upgrade my motor and speed control and needed input. Speed control choices cheapest to most $ mystery 200 amp , xpower 100, hydra 120 or ? motor 7xl , 8xl, ammo 2300 or 2600 or the black can and I can't find a spec sheet on them to even have a # for ya. Cheapest 55.00 mystery and ammo or xl around 60 to 70 or big time hydra 120 180.00 and black can 200.00 plus ????I'm a sport pond racer for fun factor and ooos and awwwsss. Thanx for the input. I will be running lipos and already have cooling upgrades, radio upgrade and props to play with.

For the "budget" factor I would suggest the xpower100A esc and the ammo. Im not sure if OSE carries a cooling can for those but I believe there are threads that will help with that. As always with new setups start with small prop like a 40mm carbon.

A feigao 11L and x-power 100 will get you going. If you go to a feigao xl I would suggest a hydra 120
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

you suggest 4s on the 11l also?
    My prop hasn't been wet in a while.

11L in my opinion would be kinda hot for the sv. I would REALLY suggest a small prop to begin with on that setup. Especially with 4S. I am running the xl with hydra 120A esc. with carbon 45mm prop

There are a few people running the 11L setup. Its a bit less rpm than a ammo 2300, but the 11L has more beef/torque.
    Steven Vaccaro

Default ammo

Could I run the x power 100 with the ammo and if I went with the 120 would the 7 xl or the ammo be a better choice?

The XL is the best of them. The x-power will handle the ammo or 11L.
    Steven Vaccaro

If you are going to run lipo, run a 2s setup with a 5000 kv motor for the best speeds. The two fastest supervees at the Saws were running that setup. If you don't car about running that fast, I would just run the ammo 2300 motor. that as more than enough power for the boat to handle

Quote Originally Posted by obrien View Post
    If you are going to run lipo, run a 2s setup with a 5000 kv motor for the best speeds. The two fastest supervees at the Saws were running that setup. If you don't car about running that fast, I would just run the ammo 2300 motor. that as more than enough power for the boat to handle
    Thats just insane. I would take it a "L" size 5k motor? WOW! thats

Default 2s 5000kv

Wow that sounds interesting. What mah lipos and c rating would that need and speedo options which I'm assuming is more than 120 amps. Last question would it go the same speed with a 2500kv motor and 4s lipo since it works out to the same rpm or is it the fact you have half the weight fot batterys for the same mah.?.?

From what Herb told me, I am assuming it was due to the loss of weight. You would most likely need to run a hydra 240 or similar to be able to run that setup. So it wouldn't be cheap to do. Just remember, that was a SAW setup, so typical running probably wouldn't be that great with that setup.

The fastest sv on record was run by Reed Eagle. He ran a 2s setup with a Neu motor.
    Steven Vaccaro