Thread: 1/8 scale miller america

Default 1/8 scale miller america

hi folks im a relitive newbee here,, i recently purchased a 1/ scale hydro that was pretty crappy looking, once i peeled the blaze orange paint off the hull i found it is a miller america hydro, it was origionally set up to run a 46 nitro but i would like to convert to electric, any assistance to do this on a tight budget would help, i would be looking for the upper 40's range,, also does anyone know who makes this boat?

2012-08-03 19.17.45.jpg08132012908.jpg08132012909.jpg08132012910.jpg08132012911.jpg

more pictures , i couldnt upload any more than 5 at a time

08132012915.jpg08132012914.jpg08132012913.jpg08132012912.jpg

It is a Dumas hull. For a 40mph electric, I would not know. As of now, I am running a race 1/8th scale. Anyone else able to help? I do recommend a Swordfish 240A esc though for what you are doing.

Most likely a Dumas boat. A little on the chuncky (heavy) side, but with appropriate power will certainly do the speeds you require. The issue is always battery pacement in these hulls, tough to get the weight far enough forward.

i thought it might be a dumas but for some reason it didnt look right in the cockpit area

as for the sordfish i was also thinking it would be a good choice,, any idea on the motor and cell count?
    Last edited by larz001; 08-16-2012 at 03:32 PM. Reason: spelling

i got the hull dirt cheap so i can afford to put some cash into it

I would run a Lepard 5692 3D on 6 cells and a 447 prop to get the speeds you want.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Quote Originally Posted by RandyatBBY View Post
    I would run a Lepard 5692 3D on 6 cells and a 447 prop to get the speeds you want.
    ok thanks, when i get sum more dun to the hull i will post more pictures

I dont think you will find a more detailed build thread on the Miller than this one by a good friend who is a member on OSE here as well.

RCG build thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1294231

One of his runs..............he is using a Neu 1527 1.5Y on 10s. Its a tad smallish motor for the hull but it obviously handled it well.

Last edited by Make-a-Wake; 08-17-2012 at 12:11 AM.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

has any one has any luck with this motor, i think it could be a good choice
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s..._Inrunner.html
    Last edited by larz001; 08-16-2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: grammar error

Quote Originally Posted by larz001 View Post
    has any one has any luck with this motor, i think it could be a good choise
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s..._Inrunner.html
    We ran them a few years ago. Internal balance is not great, some are good some not. It has a 6MM shaft too.

FC has some motor's I wanted to try but the recent stuff with them has me leery.
    Randy
    BBY Racing

"has any one has any luck with this motor, i think it could be a good choise" http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s..._Inrunner.html

Most folks that bought them had the experience of throwing them in the trash when they burned up.......... junk, amp hog motors. Get a leopard 5682 or 5692.
    Last edited by Make-a-Wake; 08-14-2012 at 11:29 PM.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

ok thanks thats good advice
    Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    "has any one has any luck with this motor, i think it could be a good choise" http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s..._Inrunner.html

Most folks that bought them had the experience of throwing them in the trash when they burned up.......... junk, amp hog motors. Get a leopard 5682 or 5692.

well i have the boat stripped of the no less than 15 different colours of paint, i cant believe paint is so heavy, so far i have shaved just over 6 pounds off the hull in paint alone, when i get it all sanded clean, i'll post more pics if anyone is interested

a quick question ,, would it be advisable to take the plywood off the belly and top deck and replace with balsa to make this chunky fat heavy sow a lil lighter,, i was thinking on leaving the sponsons alone, top and bottom and replacing the rest of the ply with balsa wood
    any thoughts or advice is greatly apreciated

I would not. Just clean up seal and paint. Sounds like all the weight was paint, if the seams are good paint it.
    Randy
    BBY Racing

Why not run a Castle 2028 on 10s? Prop? I have no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrysDrifter View Post
    Why not run a Castle 2028 on 10s? Prop? I have no clue.
    Hey Larry, i realize you are addressing the OP, but thats kinda overkill for his 40-ish mph speed desire. A 5692 or 98 will get him there all day. Bill got his up into the 50's with a Neu 1527!!(see vid post #10), the big Leopards will have it easy gettin into the 40's...............although he can crank up the prop and get mid 50's easily.

I see. Guess I missed his speed goal for the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    Hey Larry, i realize you are addressing the OP, but thats kinda overkill for his 40-ish mph speed desire. A 5692 or 98 will get him there all day. Bill got his up into the 50's with a Neu 1527!!(see vid post #10), the big Leopards will have it easy gettin into the 40's...............although he can crank up the prop and get mid 50's easily.
    OOOOOOOO mid 50's i like the sound of that

I would not. Just clean up seal and paint. Sounds like all the weight was paint, if the seams are good paint it.
    hi randy, the seams seem ok,, some would need work but nothing terrible, im still undecided as to what im doing at this point, if it weighs in light enuff after all the paint is off that will be the deciding factor, im used to building airplanes, so i have the lighter is better thoughts going in my head but im still new to boats so things might not be the same

ok here is a couple pictures of my progress its pretty clear there was alot of damage under the motor so i cut it out and will graft another piece into that spot the rest of the hull looks ok, there is still alot of work in sanding alone , so far its been a fun project

08172012918.jpg08172012917.jpg

Keep it strong and light. It will be a lot of fun on the water.
    Randy
    BBY Racing

Keep it strong and light. It will be a lot of fun on the water.
    thats why i was thinking or removing the excess plywood from the hull, i'll have to give it more thought and see the numbers when i finish sanding, hopefully its light enuff

The engine bay on the old dumas hulls were reinforced by the motor mount. I had converted a Miss Miller a few years back and made a box from aluminum for the engine mount. It supports the hull laterally so that the force on the sponsons don't bend the hull down the center. I would hate to see you go through that much work to have the hull tweak on you. You would not have to go through as much effort as my build, especially for a lesser powered hull but you should have some reinforcement in place. Good Luck! BTW Mine ran well...only ran it a few times to test but tore it back apart to mod the sponson bottoms.....ambition was waining, so it still sits in the basement in disrepair. These hulls can run a bit sticky to the water with a 10S setup.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    The engine bay on the old dumas hulls were reinforced by the motor mount. I had converted a Miss Miller a few years back and made a box from aluminum for the engine mount. It supports the hull laterally so that the force on the sponsons don't bend the hull down the center. I would hate to see you go through that much work to have the hull tweak on you. You would not have to go through as much effort as my build, especially for a lesser powered hull but you should have some reinforcement in place. Good Luck! BTW Mine ran well...only ran it a few times to test but tore it back apart to mod the sponson bottoms.....ambition was waining, so it still sits in the basement in disrepair. These hulls can run a bit sticky to the water with a 10S setup.
    hi allan, you should dig the old gurl outta mothballs and teach her to swim again, feel free to post progress here i wouldnt mind seeing how it goes

hi alanN
    pm sent

im sorry folks i havent had alot of time for the hydro things have been hectic and busy with life,, i hope to get back to it soon,