Thread: How to make this thing decent when purchasing...

Default How to make this thing decent when purchasing...

Beware, as many stated.. most going in knowing others lost entire shafts and props... but it just doesn't help! It's almost un-avoidable with the provided POS grub style coupler. There are other issues but this is the most important to clear up.

#1 Get this or similar pinch style flex hex coupler (link)

As always make sure you have some good marine grease etc

If you cannot afford the better coupler, at the very least get some collars installed (example) *4th item down as of this moment*

The stock plastic prop's really don't do a good job... I suggest the upgrade red prop's (larger ones work very well), or a similar 4mm of another brand (can also just get replacement flex shafts that will allow standard props.
    before you run the nice props make sure you have replaced those POS included couplers (and don't think even thread locker will help).

#2 Get new prop's (venom's red do the job, but they cost a lot so look at standard props and just swapping the flex shaft w/ one that supports them (OSE has um)

The motors.. where to begin.. the stock 2700kv are good for 2s only, forget about that 3s, 4s and 5s rating.. that is laughable! Don't think moving to the 2200kv version of the v380 will help you either... this puppy just needs new motors with water cooling.

#3 Where I'm at now.. run the stock until the burn up, then swap to leo or another water cooled motor. I doubt the stock mount will work so a change here will most likely be in order as well.

Moral? who knows.. this isn't a cheap boat to run so beware! If you don't mind "slow" electric then maybe it is for you.... but 3s+ configs with any decent speed don't mix well with the KOS's 'shipping config' (coupler&motors).

I must say w/ the 2200's and 4s lipo w/ the upgraded prop's she really feels great on the water, nice speed nice control... but I'm pulling it off with motor temps in the 170+ range and a smoke cloud in the hull :P

BTW the stock servo locked up and died after about 20min. YAY quality....
    Last edited by stumblinh; 08-13-2012 at 12:33 AM.

Well, that sums it up pretty well. I have the Kintec Collets on mine and another little trick I picked up is to coat the threads of the collet with anti seize. It allows you to snug them up a little more. I've run mine 3's since I have had it but I also have a set of 2s that I will try except I expect it will be slow. I also don't think that water cooled mounts will help as I have one on my Miss Excite and the cooling is minimal...but it flies on 4s and the motor handles it with 120 degree temp. I don't understand Venom's obsession with inexpensive outrunners. I've learned my lesson and now I haven't heard any more from the Venom guy since July 26th so the new matching motor may be smoke...as my motors are the new style but they are not the same. If you figure the new motors, esc's and servo....I could have bought a really good cat from the get go..!

Quote Originally Posted by fleckster48 View Post
    Well, that sums it up pretty well. I have the Kintec Collets on mine and another little trick I picked up is to coat the threads of the collet with anti seize. It allows you to snug them up a little more. I've run mine 3's since I have had it but I also have a set of 2s that I will try except I expect it will be slow. I also don't think that water cooled mounts will help as I have one on my Miss Excite and the cooling is minimal...but it flies on 4s and the motor handles it with 120 degree temp. I don't understand Venom's obsession with inexpensive outrunners. I've learned my lesson and now I haven't heard any more from the Venom guy since July 26th so the new matching motor may be smoke...as my motors are the new style but they are not the same. If you figure the new motors, esc's and servo....I could have bought a really good cat from the get go..!
    Call Venom directly. Chris is no longer with the company that is why you ahve not heard anything from him. They will take care of you.

Hey thanks for the info...I know he was working with a guy in customer service named Nick. I'll give them a call...thanks again. Also I guess I'm not the only one with two different style motors...!