Thread: spartan trim tabs by strut

Wink spartan trim tabs by strut

hi, will adding a the 2nd set of trim tabs closer to strut help get rid of chine walking on spartan??

I dont have a Spartan but thats the first thing I would try on those wobbly suckers.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

My experience was that the second set of tabs did little or nothing to help the chine walk. Others claim it has made a significant difference. Everyone's experience and results may differ, so the only way to know for sure is to try it for yourself.

The purpose of trim tabs is not to provide a "ride pad" behind the boat to stabilize it, although they may inadvertently provide that function to some degree, they are intended to be used to adjust the attitude of the hull. Adjusting them downward, will lift the stern, and lower the bow, putting more hull in the water, which will normally stabilize the ride.

On the spartan, this can be accomplished with battery placement just as easily as adjusting or adding trim tabs.

As you know I'm experimenting on one of my Spartans running with no trim tabs or turn fins.

So far I have only managed one run, and the water was a bit choppy that day so I couldn't do any wot runs. The initial indication is that the boat was no less stable, and no more stable, than with the trim tabs installed.

But I can't make any definitive claims until I get in a few more runs with various battery positions and video the results for proof positive.

Kevin

I've noticed that on v hulls, positioning of the turn fins can help aid in chine walk. If you consider that the hull shape is a triangle, balancing it on one point is tough, so if your turn fins actually touch the water on either side while running straight, it can help add balance to either side. Put it on a flat table, raise the turn fins, and notice it will rock back and forth with no balance. Now turn the fins down till they touch the table, and notice the boat will stay planted. I have no credible data to back my theory other than what I've noticed on my boats.
    Last edited by dana; 08-13-2012 at 10:40 AM.

I too, have two spartans. When adding the second set of trim tabs, near the strut, the boat hull rides lower in the water, lowering the ride attitude, and going a lot slower, possibly drawing more load on the electronics.