Thread: Revolt 30 maiden voyage last night

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Revolt 30 maiden voyage last night

Finally got my batteries, learned my powerlab 6 charger and ready to try her out! The long shipping time for my batteries was probably a good thing as this gave me time to balance and sharpen my prop, sharpen the rudder, elongate the water inlet hole, replace the stock shaft and collet nut with the one from OSE, add the thrust bearing, change all my connecters to EC5's, Loctite all the hardware, and read read read the forum for hints and adjustments. The boat ran great! It seems very fast and handles well. Not a single drop of water in the hull when finished. I did notice it chine walked at top speed. I have since raised my turn fins up, slightly lowered the inboard trim tabs and looking forward to see what that does. My batteries were all the way back so I will experiment with relocating those next time out. Awesome boat and very happy so far.

tom899, good for you ! I did exactly the same thing and have an excellent Revolt. Let me know how your "chine walking" adjustments work as this is my next set of adjustments. same set-up as you have w/o those adj's.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sturco View Post
    tom899, good for you ! I did exactly the same thing and have an excellent Revolt. Let me know how your "chine walking" adjustments work as this is my next set of adjustments. same set-up as you have w/o those adj's.
    Steve
    I'll let you know what I find and you please let us know your experience?
    Thanks

I will as soon as I install the thrust bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by sturco View Post
    Steve
    My chine walk was bad with the 45 x 68 but FAST not racing so it's fine with me.....I like being on the edge I have to find the limits of my setup.

It seems to me that the chine walk will greatly reduce by moving the batteries forward at the cost of speed. I think I can put up with some chine walk for higher speed. So far I'm really pleased with the boat, I especially like how well it turns at high speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom899 View Post
    It seems to me that the chine walk will greatly reduce by moving the batteries forward at the cost of speed. I think I can put up with some chine walk for higher speed. So far I'm really pleased with the boat, I especially like how well it turns at high speed.
    I ran yesterday 45 x 68 on glass smooth water no wind 44.7 mph 1000 watts ouch, sounded like more rpm and very little chine walk. Then I installed the stock prop that I finally sharped and balanced. The boat was about as fast as with the big prop. I forgot to bring my laptop so I could only save the first run. I telling you this is the prop you want. You can carve the water up, u turns and blast down the straightaway. My 4s is still back and I have it shimmed to the port / left side as it makes a difference. I have not lowered the trim tabs yet but I will just lower the starboard / right side outside one first, then second. This should help with the boats torque roll. I will bring the laptop next time as I leaving the stock prop on for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caruso View Post
    I ran yesterday 45 x 68 on glass smooth water no wind 44.7 mph 1000 watts ouch, sounded like more rpm and very little chine walk. Then I installed the stock prop that I finally sharped and balanced. The boat was about as fast as with the big prop. I forgot to bring my laptop so I could only save the first run. I telling you this is the prop you want. You can carve the water up, u turns and blast down the straightaway. My 4s is still back and I have it shimmed to the port / left side as it makes a difference. I have not lowered the trim tabs yet but I will just lower the starboard / right side outside one first, then second. This should help with the boats torque roll. I will bring the laptop next time as I leaving the stock prop on for now.
    Good to know you are getting some extra mph with the serviced stock prop. Let us know how the new trim tab setting went.

Update- I ran with my bike Garmin GPS today (2oz), max speed was 35.8mph. The boat is stock except I balanced and sharpened the prop, elongated the water inlet, sharpened the rudder. I'm running two 2s 5000mah 45c nano batteries. I do have a Octra x642 and Grim Racer 45x68 props but have not prepared them yet. I sure would like to break 40mph. What do you guys think I should do for mods to gain 4 or 5mph?

I will run on Monday so Monday night I will post. Keep working with the stock prop BTW it takes a long time to sharpen that shape. Mike

Update- I ran with my bike Garmin GPS today (2oz), max speed was 35.8mph. The boat is stock except I balanced and sharpened the prop, elongated the water inlet, sharpened the rudder. I'm running two 2s 5000mah 45c nano batteries. I do have a Octra x642 and Grim Racer 45x68 props but have not prepared them yet. I sure would like to break 40mph. What do you guys think I should do for mods to gain 4 or 5mph?
    Udate 2- I balanced and sharpened my Grim Racer 45x68 prop, installed it and ran 40.4mph (5mph increase over stock prop). This boat turns so sharp I think it's going to tip over but it doesn't! Very well designed.

Finally got my batteries, learned my powerlab 6 charger and ready to try her out! The long shipping time for my batteries was probably a good thing as this gave me time to balance and sharpen my prop, sharpen the rudder, elongate the water inlet hole, replace the stock shaft and collet nut with the one from OSE, add the thrust bearing, change all my connecters to EC5's, Loctite all the hardware, and read read read the forum for hints and adjustments. The boat ran great! It seems very fast and handles well. Not a single drop of water in the hull when finished. I did notice it chine walked at top speed. I have since raised my turn fins up, slightly lowered the inboard trim tabs and looking forward to see what that does. My batteries were all the way back so I will experiment with relocating those next time out. Awesome boat and very happy so far.
    Hello Tom,

Did you have to use a spacer when adding the thrust bearing? When you do this upgrade do you have to tighten the collet all the way up againgt the bearing? I will be doin this same upgrade on my Revolt and wanted to make sure I install it correctly.

Thank you.
    Last edited by gyrotron; 08-11-2012 at 02:25 AM.

I didn't have to use a spacer, I think because I also ordered the upgraded collet and nut which is longer than the original, it actually has two set screws to hold it on the shaft. I have it against the bearing but it's not preloaded which I think it should be. I may redo it as read another user mentioned he preloaded his by 1\2. I need more information on what is recommended?

Quote Originally Posted by gyrotron View Post
    Hello Tom,

Did you have to use a specer when adding the thrust bearing? When you do this upgrade do you have to tighten the collet all the way up againgt the bearing? I will be doin this same upgrade on my Revolt and wanted to make sure I install it correctly.

Thank you.

I am running a m445 prop and running 41- 44 mph. Raced against an older supervee last weekend and was reeling it in on the straights and certainly have the advantage on the corners as well. I will also say raising the strut up a bit will lower the hull in the water and reduce the chine walk. I did this on mine and saw a noticable difference in the handling of the boat for the better. I am setting the battery about mid point in the tray. Any further forward and I notice there is a greater likelyhood to stuff the boat in a good race chop. Not too fun to hold your breath as you wait for you boat to come back to the surface....or not...

That sucks to hear Mike. How many runs do you think you had on the motor?

Quote Originally Posted by JrValente View Post
    That sucks to hear Mike. How many runs do you think you had on the motor?
    20 runs max and looking back over my data the motor almost always runs 130F so I added that info in my post. Dang

Mike, your current speeds with the stock vs 45x68 prop are almost exactly what mine are (mine 35.8 and 40.4). If you do get it back up please let me know, I will do the same to mine.
    Good luck and thanks,
    Tom

Mike, your current speeds with the stock vs 45x68 prop are almost exactly what mine are (mine 35.8 and 40.4). If you do get it back up please let me know, I will do the same to mine.
    Good luck and thanks,
    Tom
    Hey Tom,
    Just back from the races lots of great people from all over. I met David Hull very nice guy who had a 10s modified JAE boat racing for the first time. It ran great but hooked on the second lap and ended upside down. He had plenty of power and the twin and single Nitro and Gas guys where going to have there hands full LOL. He did say he just ran it setup for SAW and ran 103 mph. I had to leave before the next heat.

Maybe I was lucky running my boat on the first day as the water/weather conditions where perfect. The Revolt is a SOLID 38 MPH boat case closed!!!
    Anything over 40 mph is a gift so if we all look at it this way a very hard boat to beat for the $$$$. Looking back on my first day of running 8.5.12 there was wind and the water had 1" chop but still the motor was singing 26,000. Like I said just running on the prop screaming. I am going to get a new 1800kv stock motor or the closest to the stock one so I can get back to solid 45's just because that is what I WANT. I will keep you posted.
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike Caruso; 09-09-2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: text

Hey Tom,
    Just back from the races lots of great people from all over. I met David Hull very nice guy who had a 10s modified JAE boat racing for the first time. It ran great but hooked on the second lap and ended upside down. He had plenty of power and the twin and single Nitro and Gas guys where going to have there hands full LOL. He did say he just ran it setup for SAW and ran 103 mph. I had to leave before the next heat.

Maybe I was lucky running my boat on the first day as the water/weather conditions where perfect. The Revolt is a SOLID 38 MPH boat case closed!!!
    Anything over 40 mph is a gift so if we all look at it this way a very hard boat to beat for the $$$$. Looking back on my first day of running 8.5.12 there was wind and the water had 1" chop but still the motor was singing 26,000. Like I said just running on the prop screaming. I am going to get a new 1800kv stock motor or the closest to the stock one so I can get back to solid 45's just because that is what I WANT. I will keep you posted.
    Mike

Mike,

Looking back at my data this should not be case closed. Im not sure what might have happen to the system". I have dozens of runs up and over 40 MPH..

It just might be that Mike Ball has as much time as I do with a "production" systems Revolt and maybe he can chime in too.

The only thing I can think of is I like my boats looser then most.. not loose mind you but looser then most. Most people that drive my boats comment thats the case.

My 45X68 is good for passes in and around 43 to 45 mph lap after lap.

I think Brain B has also been able to get his boat in the mid 40 without this unknown loss of speed.

Im still trying to think what might be causing this. Im not going to make the race this weekend up at the Badgers but let me know what the other FE dudes have to say.. Maybe chat with Sean too!

Then.. have you contacted Product services to see if others have been having this issue. Call em.. Talk to Jack..Let em know your a racing bud of mine and lets see what they say.

Grim

Hey Tom,

Mike
    Hi Mike,
    Sounds like a good time at the races.

Thanks for all your feedback with your experiences and changes. I'm pretty happy with 41mph, although a few more mph wouldn't hurt. I might try a 4s battery instead of two 2s. At some point in the future I would like to get an adjustable ESC. It was just recommended for me to try a HobbyWing Seaking 90-amp. My current ESC works well but would like to raise the LVC and it is not adjustable.

Thanks,
    Tom

You guys should give the zippy compact 4s 35c 3300mAH packs, get two of these run in parallel in the bottom position (they fit perfect side x side) they combine to 6600mAH, 70c and easily handle the load even with a bigger prop. These packs are a great value, you can't go wrong iMO. I've used lipo's for many years, these packs in this config hold out better than most single 4s packs on the market, PS they come stock w/ 5.5 bullets which is nice too..

Linky.. load it wait a few minutes and they offer a slightly lower price as well. USA Warehouse LINK -------- and the International Linky
    Last edited by stumblinh; 09-15-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stumblinh View Post
    You guys should give the zippy compact 4s 35c 3300mAH packs, get two of these run in parallel in the bottom position (they fit perfect side x side) they combine to 6600mAH, 70c and easily handle the load even with a bigger prop. These packs are a great value, you can't go wrong iMO. I've used lipo's for many years, these packs in this config hold out better than most single 4s packs on the market, PS they come stock w/ 5.5 bullets which is nice too..

Linky.. load it wait a few minutes and they offer a slightly lower price as well. USA Warehouse LINK -------- and the International Linky
    WOW thanks every little bit saved helps me out.
    Mike