Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: IMPBA D12 Fall Race - Queenstown, Maryland Sept 21-23, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
    Don't forget last year also. The race we tried to hold for the Chesapeake Club was rained out.....twice.

I think we need to develope a line of Copper Sulfate buoys.
    Good idea
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

I think we just need to do fun runs

...or just run swamp boats...lol!
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

This district needs a revamping some new classses. Les classses something for new boaters to get in to cheep. Maybe even go to one day races. I think a hole new board sounds like a good start. new people with will power an want to race. some fresh ideas.
    One idea i thought of after talking to tim an eric is a spec class i bought a traxxas spartin i love it . I have showed this hull an let none boaters run this hull an they have had a ball runinng it. The boat seams slow to me out of the box with the 2 stock 3000 7 cell packs. A new boater will be happy to play with this. it will get them in the water for a good price. this should be a class that ever clubs pushes at there local hobby shop. an as far as rule dont change a thing everthing stock. prop batteries motor the hole thing. This is a boat that kids an family can run in there run off ponds an then race to. just a idea. i picked this hull over other cause there parts can be bought or order very easy from ever hobby shop. the boats handles very good left an right turn with ease.

Danny, You've come a long way in three years. LOL But I like the way you think. I agree we do need to do something to attract new boaters to the hobby. We have probably revamped our classes more than any other district in the IMPBA over the last few years. And it's been a good thing. We've allowed FE boats to race in just about every class that Nitro boats run. This gives the FE's a place to run while keeping heats full as nitro numbers have declined over the past few years. The first year, we started with two Spec classes(now called Limited). P-Lim Tunnel and P-Lim Hydro were created to be comptetive with the "B's" and each other, while keeping costs to a reasonable level. They are still our most popular Nitro/FE classes. Right now the Aquacraft UL1 can run in the B/P-Lim Hydro Class and any of the RTR mono's that run 4S packs can run in the B/P Mono class. Now I don't have a problem with anyone who wants to run a RTR in these classes but it's just not fair to run a Spartan or UL1 with a Seaducer or 20 Whip.

So whats the answer?? We already run (I think) sixteen classes in a race weekend so extra classes are going to be a hard sell. Novice class would be okay but lately we've had RTR's running with gas boats and we all know thats not fun. (though Trent and his son won novice with my Insane FE30 Sport Hydro in Centreville). That leaves us with the good ole RTR class. This IS the class that needs to be revamped!!! It's time for Miss Vegas to step aside! We retired the class this past spring though several clubs still choose to run it (which is cool by me). We had the same four people run the class since I started racing. Half the ones run are by kids and many times they run like crap. I get so frustrated watching the disappointment on the kids faces when their boats cant get past the mill. Not the way to attract new racers to the hobby. So now we have all these new FE offerings, the vast majority of which can probably lap a Miss Vegas. The FE's are much more reliable and people will actually have fun driving them. But here is the real kicker. I guarantee the hobby shops sell ten times more FE RTR's than Nitro. We have to use that to our advantage. This is how we can also get the LHS's involved with our racing. I would love to have Tim and Eric on board with us. Tim has been pretty good always voting in favor of combining the nitro and FE classes. Eric, not so much. I know this spring they were asking their club members to buy Miss Vega's to run at the demo event they had in Laurel in June. Again, you have to sell what people want to buy and the Miss Vegas isnt it.

So guys, tell me what you think?? If we ask to bring back the RTR class, what should it be?? Any RTR offering (FE or Nitro)? FE only? Should we pick only one boat for the class, or maybe allow only simiar hull styles that would run together well such as cats and mono. Remember the goal is to get as many new people racing as possible. I think an RTR offshore style class would be cool (not that they would run the offshore course ). We could allow the SV27, Blackjack 26, Motley Crew, Miss Gieco, Spartan, Revolt and a few others that fit within this genre.
    Last edited by Chilli; 09-18-2012 at 12:23 AM.

in my opinion Danny, the Revolt is a much better unit all around and it is fiberglass as opposed to ABS of the Spartan.
    We have seen first hand at our lake what can happen if the Spartan is allowed to really haul out and then turn into a submarine.
    The hatch on the Revolt is also flat all the way around and much easier to tape down that the Spartan.
    The Revolt is also about 100 bucks less that the spartan as well.

This is just my opinion is all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I thinks we saw two Spartan hulls bite the dust last year.

Chip's Revolt did do pretty good in the chop this past weekend.

yepper you are right. forgot about Brians spartan.

I am very impressed with the Revolt for being a RTR boat.
    I think it would also make a very good P mono as well.

the hull length is 30".

i dont have as much exp with the elc as u guys but a spec class of some kind with one class v cat or rydro in different claasss would be best an hit the stores before the r bought just like ama in rtr airplane kits ever rtr airplane comes with a ama ap. there has to be a spec clase so we dont go crazy with batteries an motors i would like to c some a standard with a one battery a one motor one speed control

Well don't really matter to me I just like to have fun no matter what we do. So count me in what ever you or we deside

Well Danny, if you want to keep the class totally spec, the easiest thing to do is to pick one popular RTR and go with that. NAMBA1 runs an Aquacraft Motley Crew class. Ive seen a few others run the Aquacraft SV27's. If we go the same route, we can say no mods to the boat what so ever except paint, collet and flex (which I believe is a problem on this boat).......and mandatory removal of the NAMBA decals!! LOL If you want to go further, we can specify the recommended Grim Racer 2s 30C 4200's and 42x55 prop. I would also allow use of any radio TX and RX. Thats about as spec as you can get and we now have an incentive for the LHS's to support us.

In my meany years of raceing cars an boats a spec class is a must have. everone run the same motor same hull an same batteries. If the sticker r remover from any thing it will be deamed illeagel. if these boats come with a nicad batter like the spartin thats what we run. i say this cause the batters r cheaper an there in the kit. if the rtr guys want to step up an spend money on lipos then the move up in class. you guys have allready sean what happens when there to much power in these hulls. i think ever one would agree if there 8 boats on the water an there all doing the same speed its a lot more fun. i have been looking in to getting in other hobbies again an there is nothing that you can buy an race with other. that i have found. i am on my way out of raceing so this is more of a outside suggestion. i have spent enough money over the30 years i have been in racing. The only part i find fun is running in a state pond with my dad an pissing off the fisherman. then meating the fish an wildlife an chating with then as they give the fisher man a ticket that called. yes i have saw this many times its great

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567