Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tools of the Trade

Default Tools of the Trade

Can the seasoned professionals please post up some pictures of their prop sharpening tools.

Also a description on what type of files are being used (double or single cut, jewelers, swiss, name brands, etc).

Any types of gauges or fixtures would be helpful.

I guess if I ever want to be good in this hobby Im going to need to learn this trade.

I did up a TFL X432B last night. Going to test today. I was able to thin the blade some. Just enough I only need a very slight angle to but an edge on it. Wet sand 400 grit then 800.

I know I need a better balancer. So thats one thing on the list. I have no problems spending money on good tools.

I used to spend lots of time thinning blades (reduces lift and load). Then I got one of these. Gets it done in minutes. Great for all kinds of material removal as well. Worth every penny. I clamp mine in a rubber- jaw'd vise to do props.

DSC03444.JPGDSC03445.JPG

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...der-92158.html
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Most important you need to wear a suitable mask & gloves when doing props ecpecially if your sanding them with a machine. This is very dangerous stuff if you breath this dust in.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Most important you need to wear a suitable mask & gloves when doing props ecpecially if your sanding them with a machine. This is very dangerous stuff if you breath this dust in.
    I totally agree. Here I am getting ready to do some prop sharpening : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34CaXpMLkR0
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Tony your giving your secrets away what you wear in the bedroom.

Thanks for the info Tony.

How aggressive is that?

I was hoping more for input on files and whats good/cheap.

I bought a 6" Mill single cut. However its rather coarse and I feel it pushes to much burr. I also have some jewelers type files, but they are double cut.

I did by one of those goofy head magnifying glass things from Harbor Freight. Im going for attention to detail.

Figure if Im going to do this, Im going to do it right or not bother.
    42" Osprey, 32" Pursuit, 26" Bling Rocket (rescue), Blizzard Rigger, JAE 21FE rigger, Hobby King rigger (RIP)

I've got a 6" bastard file,a 6" double cut fine,a single cut fine and assorted jewellers.I have been finding the abrasive dremal Wheels quite effective in smoothing any file marks out. And once again,a Respirator.

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    I used to spend lots of time thinning blades (reduces lift and load). Then I got one of these. Gets it done in minutes. Great for all kinds of material removal as well. Worth every penny. I clamp mine in a rubber- jaw'd vise to do props.

DSC03444.JPGDSC03445.JPG

Who sells the Ball tool for cupping other than Voodoo? I saw it once and it got away He He

I like the files myself. I use different size balls that will cup differently depending on size of the prop.

here is a video I found that will help.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtEIh...=results_video
    Last edited by twissted; 09-11-2012 at 07:44 PM.
    twissted from speed. Lead, fallow or get out of the way. Copy cats in back of the buss!!!

Quote Originally Posted by twissted View Post
    I like the files myself. I use different size balls that will cup differently depending on size of the prop.

here is a video I found that will help.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtEIh...=results_video
    Great blade work!

That tool makes it a world easier.

I bought one on sale at Canadian Tire, Black & Decker with Cyclone. I use the finest grit it came with, 120 or something. Need to find a belt supplier for finer grits.

DSC03444.JPGDSC03445.JPG

Nortavlag Bulc

MY favorite prop tool is a right angle air grinder with various rotoloc pads. I can whip out a prop pretty fast with it but like others have said wear a real good mask with some eye protection. I don't do as great of a job making them look real pretty but my props seem to work good on the water so I must be doing something right after 20 something years of RC boating.
    http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...6EVs6E666666--
    Team Liquid Dash

I totally agree. Here I am getting ready to do some prop sharpening : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34CaXpMLkR0
    Do they come in colors other than green?

Here is a tip that will help alot of you. find a old sears craftsman philip screw driver and use the top end of the handle to do the cupping of the prop. cut the handle and drill and tap handle to bolt to table that has hole drilled through it.
    twissted from speed. Lead, fallow or get out of the way. Copy cats in back of the buss!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Raydee View Post
    MY favorite prop tool is a right angle air grinder with various rotoloc pads. I can whip out a prop pretty fast with it but like others have said wear a real good mask with some eye protection. I don't do as great of a job making them look real pretty but my props seem to work good on the water so I must be doing something right after 20 something years of RC boating.
    http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...6EVs6E666666--
    I agree with all of this 100%.
    If I want to make a prop look pretty I can take my time, but more often I just want to get them cut/shaped/balanced and on the boat for testing.

I'm new to rc boating and taking my time is because of this. I'm shure that down the road I will do the same. I do likem shiney though.

I usually leave the trailing edge of my props rough with 400 grit Westland. The reason is because it tends to grab the water better and throw it more

I'm no seasoned professional....here's last nights late night-6 pack idea. Quick built, prop sharpening stand.
    Worked out well....beat holding it in my hand or using the vice.
    Corey
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This is NOT a toy?!?

Quote Originally Posted by capnswanny View Post
    I'm no seasoned professional....here's last nights late night-6 pack idea. Quick built, prop sharpening stand.
    Worked out well....beat holding it in my hand or using the vice.
    Corey
    Don't use Play-Doh as it springs back. Craft store for modeling clay is what you need.

I had noticed that too, thanks for the tip Mike!
    This is NOT a toy?!?

Just bought this
    http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-...nder-2485.html
    and this
    http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-...her-94071.html
    along with some polishing compound, so far I am very pleased.

my prop stationSAM_0114.jpg
    I keep the small blue sponge wet and use it to cool the props in between to keep things moving along, and the 2"x4" setup I had around, so I use it to place a piece of fine grip paper over the edge for fine tuning the edges, the litle buffing wheel on the grinder works nicely.

I like your station. I would like to try that belt sander. Is that a Harbor Freight item?

Quote Originally Posted by twissted View Post
    I like your station. I would like to try that belt sander. Is that a Harbor Freight item?
    Yes, I just posted a link for a coupon they sent me, $35! Print it and go get it, great for rough work. The belt it comes with is 80 or 120 grit I think, your prop will be ruined quick, I got some finer 1"x30" belts on ebay. The little grinder/buffer was also from Harbor Frieght, as was the polishing compound, and a set of $3 needle files, but they're pretty rough.

What do you do to control the dust? That stuff is seriously bad for you, looks like your just firing it all over the place!
    It's not only the dust while working it's the residual dust you can't clean up that could seriously harm your family!
    Do some reading about the dangers of berrylium, it's nasty stuff and the effects are cumulative, you do not want friends, family, pets inhaling that stuff.
    Personally I will not use power tools to do prop work, impossible to clean up properly afterwards. For me it's all files and wet/dry paper over a tub of water to keep everything wet, LOL then the water gets dumped down the wash tub and everything well rinsed, not sure what else to do with it!
    A wet sponge will not do much at all to control the dust. I still wear a full respirator and surgical gloves even though I use all hand tools in water.
    Nasty, nasty sickness, not at all the way I want to go out! And I certainly don't want to poison family members for a toy boat prop!
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

I agree with Siberian. Beryllium is extremely hazardous to health. Hope you at least wear a respirator

I wear a mask, and vacuum up with a wet vac with water in it, covering the outlet of the vac with a dust mask just in case. I'm looking to hook the vac directly up to the belt sander as well. You're right, I do need some better provisions.

Kevin, especially with your fish tanks. Copper is a killer of fish. Don't want Any of that stuff near those nice tanks man

WOW especially if you have salt water reef tanks! I miss my tanks, no saltwater, a few 100 gallon+ freshwater tanks.
    Too many hobbies, something had to go, still have a big box of stuff in the attic, really just need a tank again............
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

I usually suit up in old clothes, respirator and cover my lap with a towel. I also wear gloves.

And people wonder why a SBP cost so much more than a raw prop...
    Nortavlag Bulc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast