Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's interested in a fibreglas spartan hull?

Default Who's interested in a fibreglas spartan hull?

Just gauging some interest here. I am in the process of making myself a fibreglas reproduction of my spartan, how many people would be interested in this if I was to make them for others.

Put me down for one please straight away.

You're gonna copy a boat and sell them? Bad idea

I'm with Earth.... I'm not saying I will rat you out. But I know ALOT of people that work at Traxxas, and know Mr. Jenkins. If you do this I would highly recommend not making an exact plug of the Spartan hull. If you would like to know how I know Mike and Mark and the rest of Traxxas gang, please feel free to message me.
    R.P

I plan on modifying the top of the boat to make the hatch easier to tape. If they made it fibreglass to begin with I wouldn't have to make my own. And nowhere did I say I was selling them, I asked if there was any interest. Cheers.

So, ive spent quite awhile searching my Spartan manual and the model itself looking for patent numbers. The only ones that show up are as follows 7374460, 7530855, D573536, 7867038. All of these pertain to the "Traxxas" connector found on batteries and ESC's. I also searched the U.S. patent offices online data base for all patents containing "Traxxas" and "Spartan". Nothing comes up. It is not my intention to sell anything i make for profit, merely to improve on a great product that is lacking in this area, and to help other hobbyists see the full potential of their spartan. If you know of a patent number that i would be violating by reproducing my spartan in fiberglass please let me know and i will ensure i do not violate that patent.

I'm not trying to burst you bubble man, I was just looking out for ya, I'm all bout making things better. Honestly I wouldn't mind have a FC hull. I'dust hate for you do to all the hard work and go a pi$$ someone off because you copied another companies product.
    How do you plan on making the plug. I was wanting to play around with making a hull and trying different things.
    R.P

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by mrproc1 View Post
    I'm with Earth.... I'm not saying I will rat you out. But I know ALOT of people that work at Traxxas, and know Mr. Jenkins. If you do this I would highly recommend not making an exact plug of the Spartan hull. If you would like to know how I know Mike and Mark and the rest of Traxxas gang, please feel free to message me.
    LOL, you know who??
    who cares who you know... like its a threat or something... please!
    what a joke... traxxass can't do a damn thing about it..
    this guy can make a copy of it if he wants and change a few things, and walla!
    his own FG hull

this who be the best thing to happen to that plastic toy
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    LOL, you know who??
    who cares who you know... like its a threat or something... please!
    what a joke... traxxass can't do a damn thing about it..
    this guy can make a copy of it if he wants and change a few things, and walla!
    his own FG hull

this who be the best thing to happen to that plastic toy
    Exactly. I'm not about to start sending this to LHS lol. And the only thing distinctly "unique" about the spartan is the hatch. Deep vee is a common design with not many variations and traxxas didn't invent that. I doubt I'm the first to think of this either. For the price I paid for my spartan it should have been fibreglass to start with. I'll post pics in a month or so of how this turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Redddogg View Post
    Exactly. I'm not about to start sending this to LHS lol. And the only thing distinctly "unique" about the spartan is the hatch. Deep vee is a common design with not many variations and traxxas didn't invent that. I doubt I'm the first to think of this either. For the price I paid for my spartan it should have been fibreglass to start with. I'll post pics in a month or so of how this turns out.
    get it done bro!
    I bought one of these spartass boats and was very let down by it!
    FG would have made a big difference for me...
    I traded that boat about 2 weeks after getting it.. now I own a DF33 with a 4092 Leopard on 4s and it flat out hauls!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

I agree the plastic spartan hull is crap. If you can pull it off more power to ya. I've seen other guys get bashed big time for what others have called copies around here...
    I'm not opposed to what you're doing.

I'm also not trying to put anything off as my own. All I want is a more solid and durable hull for what is a sleek and fast boat. I will change whatever I need to to prevent any copyright infringement but I'm not interested in claiming any right to the design.

Quote Originally Posted by Redddogg View Post
    I'm also not trying to put anything off as my own. All I want is a more solid and durable hull for what is a sleek and fast boat. I will change whatever I need to to prevent any copyright infringement but I'm not interested in claiming any right to the design.
    Nobody is saying you are.the whole point of the discussion is that it's not your design.
    It's fine if you want a fg spartan. You've already done your research and found no copyright, so go ahead and make them. My point was this, offering them up to other members might be risky, but clearly you and brushless have it all figured out.
    I can build a copy of a les Paul all day for myself, and make it out of alder instead of mahogany. Certainly, before I started offering it to others I would do my research, which you have.
    I have seen fightercat bashed to no end because of what others around here have claimed he has made "copies" of other hulls.
    I'm not trying to be a pita, just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Heaving Earth View Post
    It's "voila" ..... Not "walla"
    Lets see, first off that's how I say it with a strong "W"
    Some need to find other things to do

Nobody is saying you are.the whole point of the discussion is that it's not your design.
    It's fine if you want a fg spartan. You've already done your research and found no copyright, so go ahead and make them. My point was this, offering them up to other members might be risky, but clearly you and brushless have it all figured out.
    I can build a copy of a les Paul all day for myself, and make it out of alder instead of mahogany. Certainly, before I started offering it to others I would do my research, which you have.
    I have seen fightercat bashed to no end because of what others around here have claimed he has made "copies" of other hulls.
    I'm not trying to be a pita, just sayin.
    And the fc thing was someone said it was there own design and not a copy!

anyways red, good luck with your endeavors. ill be interested in seeing how it comes out

Thumbs down

its still "voila" stupid…
    i just dont really like you…

LAME

DON'T EVER CALL AN OSE MEMBER STUPID ON THESE FORUMS!

Alright boys play nice now
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Wow I started quite the "brew-ha-ha" lol. The les Paul design is made by practically every guitar manufacturer out there. The deep vee hull design is considered common place and no company can claim copyright to it. The top deck and hatch is the only part that could be considered "unique" and therefore fall under copyright law, I will change this to suit my needs and to prevent any infringement. As the moderators said please keep things civil, this is a hobby and supposed to be fun and foster friendships.

Potentially interested :)

Besides being made of plastic, the Spartan hull has a couple other quirks that would be worth addressing. The chine walk is one, which I believe is due to the extremely steep vee of the hull. And a better strut design would be nice too.

But, in answer to the original question, I would have interest in a quality designed and built FG hull that would fit the Spartan component tray.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by dag-nabit View Post
    Besides being made of plastic, the Spartan hull has a couple other quirks that would be worth addressing. The chine walk is one, which I believe is due to the extremely steep vee of the hull. And a better strut design would be nice too.

But, in answer to the original question, I would have interest in a quality designed and built FG hull that would fit the Spartan component tray.

Kevin
    I can address the angle of the vee once I get a plug made for the basic hull shape. This is my first attempt at this so the learning curve is going to be Steep. Being able to use the traxxas component tray is paramount. I'm also going to try to adjust the angle of the stuffing tube so it's more straight, and an aftermarket strut shouldn't be too hard to install as I'm going to use a 1/4" plywood transome. A dual rudder is a thought too. Currently im constructing a trailer for the spartan so the plug is on the back burner at least until it's done.

If it gets off the drawing board keep informed.
    Kevin

I will update and post pics as soon as I get going on this.

hi, will adding a the 2nd set of trim tabs closer to strut help get rid of chine walking on spartan??

Yeh, probably would have an interest. Not many hulls in the length of the Traxxas. Seems as if it goes from 29 to 50ish. I am a traxxas fan in the car and truck arena.

Quote Originally Posted by 4343 View Post
    hi, will adding a the 2nd set of trim tabs closer to strut help get rid of chine walking on spartan??
    In my unwashed opinion a second set of trim tabs won't help with chine walk. The chine walk on the spartan hull I think is due to the angle of the vee hull, it is too steep for high speed causing it to fall to port or starboard when on too high a plane. Adjusting the trim tabs down might put a temp bandaid on this by lowering the bow at mid to low high speed. I would like too see a shallower vee angle and another 1" or so of beam.

I did this to my spare spartan hull tonight. It only took 20 min to disassemble it, and half of that was the battery tray. I used only a small flathead screwdriver. It was disturbing how easily the deck was separated from the hull.

Hows the mold coming, any luck?
    R.P

Quote Originally Posted by mrproc1 View Post
    Hows the mold coming, any luck?
    Been busy with other projects lately. I am still in the process of smoothing out the imperfections and filling the factory holes. I'm getting back on this shortly. Next step it to mount it to a flange for the plug. The hull is pretty flimsy when disassembled so I need to stiffen the transom.

How did this turn out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast