Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Offshore Warrior or similar

Default Metal Prop Upgrade

I bought a couple of Kintec TFL props to try, with the x432 balanced and sharpened this thing is way quicker and faster!! Pretty much jumps out of the water. I need to spend a little more time detailing the prop, needs a little more balancing and could stand to be a little sharper.

Quote Originally Posted by CP598 View Post
    Wow that was fast.... wish I would have found that site before I bought mine. Mine ended up costing about $30 more... oh well
    Well at least you know you got the Mk2. Although the Mk2 was pictured from Ordersmax, we won't know until mine gets here (should be Tuesday hopefully). How's the motor temps with the new prop?

Martin, all your motors in this boat were inrunners or did you try any outrunners with it with a cooling plate?

What size lipos and C ratings you guys running?

Quote Originally Posted by 3b3b View Post
    what size lipos and c ratings you guys running?
    2200 25-30c

Using the stock 30a esc you need to be carefull on prop choices ecspecially going to metal props where theirs no flex in the blades over plastic that give a bit. You will eventually blow the esc by pushing things, then change to a higher amp esc where you will be much safer re pushing speeds.

Most of the motors i ran were outrunners even the one that im still using now, i used 3 different make outrunners of different kv as well. Going to the motors i used you will need a different esc. I use a 60a esc, a word of warning if you use outrunners you need to make sure the battery is well secured as the spinning can of the motor is mm from the battery & the battery can shift a bit & touch the spinning can & wear into the battery. Ask me how i know, fortunatally it only wore through the shrink wrap on the battery.

Thanks, did you have to retrofit a water-cooling mount for it or just ran it without water cooling the motor? I have that 3800KV motor I IM'd you about that was going to use for my Super Mono X.

The 30A will go in my Super Mono X and the SeaKing 120 will go in the Warrior, which it's better suited for.

With the outrunners ive run mostly no water cooling plates but did make one & tried for a while, Not sure it made much difference though to cooling as i do run quite hot set ups in mine so have to watch run times. If your running higher amp esc then use higher c lipos, i use 60c, you will get more performance & be able to run larger props. The fastest props im using on my modded boat is Octura x632 sharpend & balanced & detonqued. Dont use any of this set up on stock boat, you will burn things up.

I have 2 of these right now in addition to the stock 1800 that came with my Super Mono X:

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ck-p-1467.html

I don't plan on going crazy. I was happy with the speed of my Super Mono X, just not the reliability as it's nearly impossible to upgrade the motor without ripping out all the stock mounting and putting a standard mount in.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
    I have 2 of these right now in addition to the stock 1800 that came with my Super Mono X:

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ck-p-1467.html

I don't plan on going crazy. I was happy with the speed of my Super Mono X, just not the reliability as it's nearly impossible to upgrade the motor without ripping out all the stock mounting and putting a standard mount in.
    Will you post pics of your super mono-x?

yes 25c or 30c are fine.

Bill while your on do you know what kv the motor is in the X Blaze super, not the Coke can size motorwhich i know was 1800kv but the one their now fitting in the boat which is a 3660 4 pole motor. Thanks.

I also personally dont like grub screw couplings & use either Octura & Etti collet couplings, their kinda to the flex where as the grub screw bites into the flex & where i take my shafts out to dry & grease every time i get home im undoing & doing up the grub screw type so many times it ruins the flex. The collet type i find are more positive as well when tightened. Just my choice though.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post

I'm gonna' use the trim tabs for a warrior build..

Yep trim tabs are a must on the Warrior when increaseing speeds, ive used them for 2 years. Simply cant keep the modded boat on the water without them, they also help with torque roll when using larger props + the torque that an outrunner can give.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Using the stock 30a esc you need to be carefull on prop choices ecspecially going to metal props where theirs no flex in the blades over plastic that give a bit. You will eventually blow the esc by pushing things, then change to a higher amp esc where you will be much safer re pushing speeds.
    Yep....I switched to a seaking 35a before the stock one burned up. Thinking I should have went with a 60a or bigger

I also personally dont like grub screw couplings & use either Octura & Etti collet couplings, their kinda to the flex where as the grub screw bites into the flex & where i take my shafts out to dry & grease every time i get home im undoing & doing up the grub screw type so many times it ruins the flex. The collet type i find are more positive as well when tightened. Just my choice though.
    Totally agree. What Octura collet will fit with the stock motor and shaft?

I use both Octura & Etti collets, Oct 18098 1/8" to .098 or Etti Flex Hex 1/8" to .098. Both available in the OSE store.

I use both Octura & Etti collets, Oct 18098 1/8" to .098 or Etti Flex Hex 1/8" to .098. Both available in the OSE store.
    thanks!

Well, I got her and I'm not happy. She is a Mk2 and comes without radio\receiver as suspected. My Super Mono X plastic hull is very rigid. I can squeeze the hull and canopy and not worrying about flexing. Do that with the Warrior hull and you'll hear cracking. The hull is very weak with the top deck being weaker. The gelcoat is thin and the rear hull has major hooks. You need tape to seal the canopy as the fit is horrible. Mine is once-again victim to Chineese labor and a screw for the rudder mount is misthreaded and I'm having a hell of a time getting it removed. The rudder pushrod is bent to hell.

Absolutely disgusted right now.

I think the mk2 is a step back from the mk1, the mk1 you can use a lexan inner cover that is sealed with tape 100% waterfroof. I then also tape around the hatch as well just for more security, the hatch taping is also 100% as i dont get any water between the hatch & cover. The hulls are very thin, with the speeds & mishaps i get i glass the inside of the hulls to make them thicker & much stronger ecspecially at the front & around the deck joint. Ive hit the bottom of the lake to many times at wot in 3foot of water, by strengthening they now withstand these impacts. I also fill any hooks in any monos that needs it,i know its a pain doing this but its something i come to expect with Chinese products. I wonder if any of thses boats are seconds that their selling direct.

That is disappointing. Unfortunately this can sometimes be one of the pitfalls of buying a first run product as well as buying direct from China. I'm inclined to agree with martin that maybe these are production line rejects that they are selling directly. I still have gotten any indication of shipping for mine btw.

OK, so my motor is overheating. I haven't screwed with the strut angle (stock) and water is flowing through the cooling loop.

The stock strut to dog clearance is zero. I noticed that the motor is setup up that it has play to allow for shrinkage but that it's fighting magnetic force to do so. If I add play like you're supposed to, the rear ball bearing in the stinger can back out of the housing, possibly allowing water entry.

Do I run zero clearance at the stinger, or your normal flex cable width clearance? I guess I'd have to glue the rear bearing in place. Nothing is hot from the coupler back. Could it also be run times?

I'll check my motor timing too, it's probably set too advanced, Martin you remember what stock timing is on these motors?

EDIT: I had it set to 21 degrees for my outrunner and backed it down to 7.5 so we'll see later today if makes a difference.

The boat is very fast in stock form and handles better than even my Super Mono X, which is a surprise. I'm using the hatch tape and get very little water entry but I plan on rigging something up so that I won't have to use hatch tape.

Thanks.
    Last edited by MassiveOverkill; 09-05-2012 at 07:19 AM.

I dont know what timing is needed on the stock FSD 2 pole motors as i dont know whether their a D wind or y wind, as i never messed using the stock motors other than on the stock esc which is preset. Re the gap at the dog i leave around 1/16" gap + the bit of float thats in the motor shaft, if its to close the dog will bind against the bearing with flex wind up. It dosnt take much on these small low powered motors to cause problems re binding & heat.

The high timing (21 deg) might be causing the heat issue. iirc 2 pole motors need even less timing than 4 poles

Re more cooling i use a small round file on the rudder pickup hole & bring the groove to the front of the blade, even going in past the thickness at the front of the blade so that theirs a full hole facing foward. Rather than the original hole facing out at an angle from the blade to get better flow.

I checked my rudder pickup and noticed the vertical bore is the diameter of the nozzle, but then shrinks down to a smaller size. I may drill it all the way through to the horizontal pickup and maybe enlarge that hole as well as Martin did, but with a drill bit.

The horizontal hole needs its angle changing to face more foward rather than the hole going into the blade at an angle as the original hole does so opening up the horizontal hole & changing its angle helps a lot, you then end up with a longer groove right to the front of the blade for better pick up. I also open up the nipple at the top of the rudder as this restricts the flow with its smaller diam, but you limited how much larger you can go without breaking through the threaded area. Every little helps though.

Well with the new timing, increased dog-stinger clearance, and opened up rudder she still overheats, not as bad but still hot to the touch. I really need to get an IR thermometer to see if she's within limits. Batteries aren't as hot though, so that's a plus. I'm wondering if I need to adjust the strut angle to get more of the hull out of the water..........she's almost too stable.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast