Thread: Challenge question.....for kitbash or similar.

Default Challenge question.....for kitbash or similar.

I have a UA-1 Superior that I really enjoy, but the water always seems to be rough in my local lake.... (very local, right down the street). I thought about taking the hardware/running gear and transplanting it into a rigger, but have no idea what size/model I should go for. I just saw the JAE mostly built rigger on the OSE main page... but...

Any ideas?

Gear is mostly stock, I have 2 2s 5000mah Lipos, over 40C I think....

Thanks
    Crusty

A rigger won't like rough water much more than your hydro, a mono is your best bet for rough water.
    Personally I love hydros so I'd keep the UL-1 as is for when I could run it and add a mono for the rough days. Just my 2 cents being a hydro lover, and a firm believer in "He who dies with the most toys wins!"
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Quote Originally Posted by siberianhusky View Post
    A rigger won't like rough water much more than your hydro, a mono is your best bet for rough water.
    Personally I love hydros so I'd keep the UL-1 as is for when I could run it and add a mono for the rough days. Just my 2 cents being a hydro lover, and a firm believer in "He who dies with the most toys wins!"

My thought was that the rigger would take the rough water better as it's not capturing air under the hull.... BUT... I do have plans for a mono.... if only decent sized mono's weren't so expensive....

In Poker terms... I'll see your "He who dies with the most toys wins!" and raise you a "The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys."

Last time I ran the UL-1, I pushed it a little too hard and the battery leads seperated from the Deans connectors... I guess they got a little hot...
    Last edited by cptcrusty1; 09-05-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: typo

Siberian is rite, a rigger won't do a whole lot better. Maybe a little but it's not worth tearing apart your ul1. A mono like a df 29 or larger or or even a deep v like the Titan 29 will do better in rough water. some cats can handle some good chop too depending on the model.

DF 29, Titan 29, I'm assuming the 29 is the length of the hull? Can you get into more detail about them? I'm not familiar with them. I want a mono that's going to go STUPID_FAST but maybe not as big as the Traxxas Spartan.

Well, going stupid fast in rough water is going to take a fair sized hull and a good chunk of change. Yes 29 is the length, and both handle chop well, within certain speeds.

I can go in the early morning when the ducks are still asleep.... The biggest thing I don't like about my UL1 is that I can only turn 1 direction....I get a real charge out of pushing just to the edge of control... Oh... and it doesn't like hitting turtles.... I'd want to do a Mono so that I can run whether the lake is choppy or not....

I figured out the boat names... Delta Force and the Titan...

Here's a dumb question.. My UL1 requires that I seal the hatch with tape. Looks retarded.... Electrical tape seems to work the best but it SUCKS with a capital SUCK!... My last V hull I didn't do that... Any way around that with the UL1?

Not really, I use clear hockey shinpad tape, dirt cheap in Canada, sticks like hell, clear yet comes off easily.
    Just picked up 3 rolls last week for 2.70$! Renfrew is better than 3m, more flexible.
    I'm about positive it's the same stuff as the hatch tape.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Sweet.. .I'll have to look for that tape. Lots of sports stores down here in Houston.

Ok, so lets say I do a Titan 29, or DF 29... I have a tendancy to overpower things... 2 of my airplanes have about 50% more nitro motor than they should... they're REALLY fast, bUT.... lots of fun.. If I do that to a V-hull/Mono, what are my trouble areas?

Quote Originally Posted by cptcrusty1 View Post
    I figured out the boat names... Delta Force and the Titan...

Here's a dumb question.. My UL1 requires that I seal the hatch with tape. Looks retarded.... Electrical tape seems to work the best but it SUCKS with a capital SUCK!... My last V hull I didn't do that... Any way around that with the UL1?
    Looks are for shelf queens. Who cares about tape when it's kranking across the water lol
    Siberian is rite again, renfrew clear hockey tape bro

The Df can handle more speed

What's your budget?

Oh, and there are several other great hulls to choose from, I just threw those out there.

My budget is when my wife has a cow.... LOL ROFLMAO...

I can take my time... get the hull first, paint it realy pretty, then get stupid with the electronics... I just want to go fast, but not into orbit... STock just doesn't do it for me, but I don't want to breakj the bank and sell my kids.