Thread: Tunnel Hull (TS3) Water Cooling Inlet...How would you do it?

Default Tunnel Hull (TS3) Water Cooling Inlet...How would you do it?

How would you pickup water?

I'm getting really close to run (next 2-3 days) with my TS3 build. I have a new REK leg (thanks Jr) with no pickup holes drilled aft of the prop. Last leg I had (stripped threads...probably my fault) had the pickup behind the prop on the leg, but I was thinking I might want to shorten the cavitation plate to accomodate a larger diameter prop than 42mm? (OK, I guess thats a question too
    What do you think? Pickup behind the prop on the leg and stick w/42mm (I have a GR-42/55)? or....Transom pickup w/tube? or....Fancy thru hull pickup block at the stern (as seen on OSE)?
    Running 1800Kv (aka ~1500Kv)/AQ60A ESC now, but might want to move up to 2030Kv AQ motor.

Thanks all!
    Corey
    This is NOT a toy?!?

I have a K&B 3.5 that someone cut most of the cavitation plate off of. Kicked around the idea of how to mount a pickup too. Ended up making a new plate out of aluminun and putting the pickup where it was originally, behind the prop. Cut what was left of the old plate down leaving just enough to put 4 bolts through, 2 on each side , to hold on the new plate. Works great. My other idea was some kind of prop wash pickup.

Did you ever want to go up in diameter on you prop?
    With this leg I can drill a hole in the plate to accomodate a pickup, I was just concerned with the lack of prop size restriction.
    I love the prop wash pickups, wonder how it has been done on the outboards?
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    Corey
    This is NOT a toy?!?

By doing what we did it raised the cavitation plate a little over a 1/16 of an inch allowing a larger diameter prop to clear the plate.

If you're not racing, with your setup the 42 prop should be fine. He's running a Dumas Hot Shot ABS with a Turnigy Typhoon 500 outrunner and his prop is a either a detounged 440 or 442. And his boat flys and everything stays nice and cool.

Thanks,
    I'll put it in the stock location in the plate and run 42's. Not like you can't hack it off later!
    Appreciate your advice!
    Corey
    This is NOT a toy?!?