Thread: Re-power a Proboat Coast Guard 30"

Default Re-power a Proboat Coast Guard 30"

Anyone re-power one of these?

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Product...ProdID=PRB3500

Looking for possible brushless setup that reuses as much hardware as possible... Thanks for any help.

I'd be carefull how much power you put in the Coast Guard boat.

#1 : The hull design isn't meant for too much speed. It gets really unstable in the turns above scale speed ; leans way over.

#2 : The "dogbone" universal joints joining the motor to the shafts won't take too much power without self-destructing. Mine's an early Midwest model, maybe the latest version has better u-joints

#3 : Not sure, but not all brushless esc's have reverse (which is nice on this boat)

I repowered mine with a pair of brushed Traxxas Marine Titan motors and an EVX-2 esc (like from the Villian)

Added a watercooling pickup and an auto-bailer (it takes on lots of water through the shafts-with the auto-bailer it stays empty)

Do what you want to speed yours up; I enjoy mine at scale speeds

DSC03375.JPGDSC03372.JPGDSC03374.JPGDSC03373.JPG
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Thanks Tony,

This one is a direct drive, coupler with no U-joint. Was looking on helping out my brother-in-Law and was thinking of just a little more speed, but hoping to get more efficiency though brushless conversion...

But I am having trouble even estimating what setup would be good. I realize the speed issue as you mention, but wanted to add a little to stock and possibly go brushless. Currently, he has a traxxis 5 series brushed esc with reverse. But no idea on how many winds it is. So even if i went to a pair of titan motors, not sure what relative improvements there would be...

And if brushless, what rpm range to target?