Thread: Minimono : Long Term Review (5 Hours Total Run Time)

Thumbs up Minimono : Long Term Review (5 Hours Total Run Time)

I got my Mini-Mono at the end of May 2012, unfortunately, I have been too busy running it to sit down and write a review. Until now...

In total, I have 5 hours plus on the boat, so I think this qualifies as a "Long Term" Review.

First Impressions :
    -For the price point, this boat is like nothing else on the planet.
    -Combining leading edge U.S. Engineering with lower cost manufacturing gives you really good value.
    -Stable to the point of boredom, except for the ability to sub-marine in a tight turn !
    Five out of Five Stars

Mods :
    -Right out of the box, I sharpened the turn fins with my belt sander.
    -I replaced the stock prop with a 430 and this is my favourite overall prop for the boat.
    -I tried a "sick" 1930 that Fine Design Sharpened, Detongued & Balanced, but it was too pitchy for the stock motor, so it couldn't get up to speed.
    -I got creative with a piece of aluminum tubing to improve with motors' cooling. Basically, I bent it into a horseshoe shape and CA glued it to the aluminum motor mount. It seems to help motor temperatures.

Issues Experienced in 5 hours of running (30 1300 Mah 3S Packs) :
    -Have broken the rudder steering tiller 4 times.
    -Hobby Services doesn't have the original in stock, so I was put on a waiting list.
    -Finally, last week I go a Package from them, they gave me the complete Mini-Thunder Rudder assembly. Which is OK, but not the same as the original, as the Mini-Mono Tiller has a metal insert in the plastic, which makes it significantly more rigid!.
    -I have gone through about 6 "O" rings, which get brittle, stretch and then break.
    -Finally, I went to Home Depot and got a larger diameter "O" ring that seems to work better than two smaller "O" rings. Just go the plumbing section with one of your originals and eyeball the replacement.
    -I've only had a loosened shaft once, maybe because I read about everyone else's problems with the shaft, so I was extremely careful in keeping it greased and tightening both grub screws a quarter turn at a time.
    -Now, my stock motor is starting to eat it's bearing, so it'll have to be upgraded or rebuilt.
    -When I tried to take the stock motor out, I realized that the motor and mount is assembled together at the factory before they glue it in ! This is because you physically have to deform the hull to squeeze the motor out the side of the motor mount without the ESC !
    -Recently, I have had a dead in the water situation, which clears up when I put in another battery. I am thinking it's a current protection or overheat protection built in that is being triggered.

Future Mods :
    -I have ordered the Small Aluminum Rudder that OSE stocks, to completely upgrade the rudder assembly.
    -This should take care of my "fragile tiller" situation.
    -I run in a chlorinated reflecting pool, so object hits are rare, and consist of peoples drink cups, an occasional straw.
    -As I need to deal with the motor bearing, I will get a new bearing from Boca Bearings and rebuild it.
    -I will also look at a replacement motor, maybe with more torque, lower KV's to optimize the 1930 prop that Fine Design prepped.
    -If I upgrade the motor, I will have to upgrade the ESC.
    -Luckily, I have the Turnigy Marine 35 Amp ESC already and have used it in other boats for a couple of years now.
    -I will remove the stock receiver, remove it's ugly plastic case and coat the entire receiver in epoxy. I have used this very successfully in other boats to completely waterproof the receiver. It's ugly, but it works so well.
    -I am considering the Octura 0.098 cable drive upgrade, because I have a couple of them lying around thanks to OSE.

Conclusion :
    -Grimracer, you have certainly impressed me with this boat in opening up the hobby grade side of the hobby to the general population at a very compelling price point.
    -Maybe you need to put out a Mini-Mono R, with upgraded aluminum hardware, motor, ESC.
    -I'd buy one, if you keep it under $200 retail, with 35 mph speeds out of the box.
    -I know I've probably helped you sell a ton of these as everyone who sees one wants one !

Quote Originally Posted by FECrazy View Post
    I got my Mini-Mono at the end of May 2012, unfortunately, I have been too busy running it to sit down and write a review. Until now...

In total, I have 5 hours plus on the boat, so I think this qualifies as a "Long Term" Review.

First Impressions :
    -For the price point, this boat is like nothing else on the planet.
    -Combining leading edge U.S. Engineering with lower cost manufacturing gives you really good value.
    -Stable to the point of boredom, except for the ability to sub-marine in a tight turn !
    Five out of Five Stars

Mods :
    -Right out of the box, I sharpened the turn fins with my belt sander.
    -I replaced the stock prop with a 430 and this is my favourite overall prop for the boat.
    -I tried a "sick" 1930 that Fine Design Sharpened, Detongued & Balanced, but it was too pitchy for the stock motor, so it couldn't get up to speed.
    -I got creative with a piece of aluminum tubing to improve with motors' cooling. Basically, I bent it into a horseshoe shape and CA glued it to the aluminum motor mount. It seems to help motor temperatures.

Issues Experienced in 5 hours of running (30 1300 Mah 3S Packs) :
    -Have broken the rudder steering tiller 4 times.
    -Hobby Services doesn't have the original in stock, so I was put on a waiting list.
    -Finally, last week I go a Package from them, they gave me the complete Mini-Thunder Rudder assembly. Which is OK, but not the same as the original, as the Mini-Mono Tiller has a metal insert in the plastic, which makes it significantly more rigid!.
    -I have gone through about 6 "O" rings, which get brittle, stretch and then break.
    -Finally, I went to Home Depot and got a larger diameter "O" ring that seems to work better than two smaller "O" rings. Just go the plumbing section with one of your originals and eyeball the replacement.
    -I've only had a loosened shaft once, maybe because I read about everyone else's problems with the shaft, so I was extremely careful in keeping it greased and tightening both grub screws a quarter turn at a time.
    -Now, my stock motor is starting to eat it's bearing, so it'll have to be upgraded or rebuilt.
    -When I tried to take the stock motor out, I realized that the motor and mount is assembled together at the factory before they glue it in ! This is because you physically have to deform the hull to squeeze the motor out the side of the motor mount without the ESC !
    -Recently, I have had a dead in the water situation, which clears up when I put in another battery. I am thinking it's a current protection or overheat protection built in that is being triggered.

Future Mods :
    -I have ordered the Small Aluminum Rudder that OSE stocks, to completely upgrade the rudder assembly.
    -This should take care of my "fragile tiller" situation.
    -I run in a chlorinated reflecting pool, so object hits are rare, and consist of peoples drink cups, an occasional straw.
    -As I need to deal with the motor bearing, I will get a new bearing from Boca Bearings and rebuild it.
    -I will also look at a replacement motor, maybe with more torque, lower KV's to optimize the 1930 prop that Fine Design prepped.
    -If I upgrade the motor, I will have to upgrade the ESC.
    -Luckily, I have the Turnigy Marine 35 Amp ESC already and have used it in other boats for a couple of years now.
    -I will remove the stock receiver, remove it's ugly plastic case and coat the entire receiver in epoxy. I have used this very successfully in other boats to completely waterproof the receiver. It's ugly, but it works so well.
    -I am considering the Octura 0.098 cable drive upgrade, because I have a couple of them lying around thanks to OSE.

Conclusion :
    -Grimracer, you have certainly impressed me with this boat in opening up the hobby grade side of the hobby to the general population at a very compelling price point.
    -Maybe you need to put out a Mini-Mono R, with upgraded aluminum hardware, motor, ESC.
    -I'd buy one, if you keep it under $200 retail, with 35 mph speeds out of the box.
    -I know I've probably helped you sell a ton of these as everyone who sees one wants one !
    Thank you for taking time to write the review. Our idea of a good time is your lost hours with your hobby.

Kind Regards

Grimracer

I don't consider a good time, when you have to gut a brand new boat because the stock components don't work.
    Last edited by stevendail; 03-02-2015 at 08:43 PM.