Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Revolt arrived from Tower - Second batch?

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    You need to go thru everthing to make sure it's right before throwing it on "the track".

Just my $.02

later,
    Mike
    DING-DING-DING... I'm with you, Mike...

I am just curious... How many "pre-built" touring cars would you take out of the box and go race with out tearing it completely down to make sure you would be getting top perfomance out of the chassis...

In my eyes RTR boats fall under the same catagory. You need to go thru everthing to make sure it's right before throwing it on "the track".

Just my $.02

later,
    Mike

If I wanted top performance I wouldn't be buying a RTR. I would have bought a kit and pieced it together with the radio, esc, motor, drive line, etc. of my choice. I didn't buy it to race it. From reading this thread it seems people are getting kits that are built wrong from the factory and that is unacceptable. The people at the factory need to check before it leaves and make sure it is right.A little quality assurance goes a long way, specially for your reputation. I don't mind checking to see if everything is secure, but shouldn't have to return it because of QA issues. I just want to get it, check it over, charge my batteries and go. I shouldn't have to worry about whether or not it's going to work right from the factory. And maybe it will, but like I said I don't need the hassle or the headache just in case it does happen. I just wanted it to have some fun, and that wouldn't be fun to put in in the water fir the first run and have it break. Maybe I'm hitting the panic button a little early,but just the thought of me getting it and something not being right from the factory is discouraging.

Kobiwan 73

The internet is quite the information house isn’t it!..

You have information without a boat.

When you get the boat.. I see you are new to this.. Make your OWN opinion and then let us know. Its going to be hard to do now that you have "read all this stuff" but..

Keep us posted and remember to "use Product Services" listed in the manual for any questions FIRST!.. then the experts here.

Grim

I'm sending mine back to tower. Hopefully the motor and flex alignment looks better on the next one I called Hobbico and the tech guy says it is ok to run it this way as long as the flex isn't rubbing the brass stuffing tube. I disagree.CIMG0581.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kobiwan73 View Post
    If I wanted top performance I wouldn't be buying a RTR. I would have bought a kit and pieced it together with the radio, esc, motor, drive line, etc. of my choice. I didn't buy it to race it. From reading this thread it seems people are getting kits that are built wrong from the factory and that is unacceptable. The people at the factory need to check before it leaves and make sure it is right.A little quality assurance goes a long way, specially for your reputation. I don't mind checking to see if everything is secure, but shouldn't have to return it because of QA issues. I just want to get it, check it over, charge my batteries and go. I shouldn't have to worry about whether or not it's going to work right from the factory. And maybe it will, but like I said I don't need the hassle or the headache just in case it does happen. I just wanted it to have some fun, and that wouldn't be fun to put in in the water fir the first run and have it break. Maybe I'm hitting the panic button a little early,but just the thought of me getting it and something not being right from the factory is discouraging.
    RTR means Ready to Repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimracer View Post
    Kobiwan 73

The internet is quite the information house isn’t it!..

You have information without a boat.

When you get the boat.. I see you are new to this.. Make your OWN opinion and then let us know. Its going to be hard to do now that you have "read all this stuff" but..

Keep us posted and remember to "use Product Services" listed in the manual for any questions FIRST!.. then the experts here.

Grim
    Grim
    Thanks for the post. I probably wouldn't be so worried if this wasn't my very first boat, or if I new someone that ran them, but I don't. As you probably have read, I got out of touring car. I was totally into it. had one of, if not the top car(xray T3) and all the best gear, radio esc etc. I got burned out with all it takes to maintain a top race machine, that and my job prevnts me from racing as much as i would like. So thats why I got a RTR. Something I thought I should just be able to unbox it charge and go have fun. I don't have a problem doing routine maintenance or replaceing the occasional worn or broken part. But, I do expect it to be built right from the factory. I mean correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that was the whole idea of a RTR. It's for those who aren't interested in serious racing and just want to have fun and/or get their feet wet into the hobby with out having to build it and pay to buy seperate electronics and all that. They expect it to work out of the box, period. so yeah, I have to admit I am scared to even attempt to run it. Can you garantee me it will work prperly out of the box. Becasue I feel you should be able to. If not you need to address who is building them. Becasue reading some of the other posts, you seem to have someone that is giving up on the Aquacraft brand. Not good. allot of companies get there business from word of mouth.
    Thanks again for the post, I still have a couple of days to change my mind.

kobiwan 73
    I also was in your situation last year. I wanted a Motley Crew but after reading all the upgrades and tweaking I gave up. This year I decided on the Revolt after years of zenoah powered offshores 50-60" oal. See my earlier post on what I did to my new Revolt here. I saved $50.00 using my Tower H. codes and trust me all my upgrades didn't cost that $50. I did not have a flex issue and probably would feel the same, sucks but happens. That being said my (upgraded) Revolt is way more fun than my zenoah boats were. This is just my opinion, I hope you stay into the boats.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sturco View Post
    kobiwan 73
    I also was in your situation last year. I wanted a Motley Crew but after reading all the upgrades and tweaking I gave up. This year I decided on the Revolt after years of zenoah powered offshores 50-60" oal. See my earlier post on what I did to my new Revolt here. I saved $50.00 using my Tower H. codes and trust me all my upgrades didn't cost that $50. I did not have a flex issue and probably would feel the same, sucks but happens. That being said my (upgraded) Revolt is way more fun than my zenoah boats were. This is just my opinion, I hope you stay into the boats.
    Steve
    sturco
    Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. I do like to go fast, so what I wanted to do with the boat was put the necesary hops on it to get me to about 45-50mph, or as faster than stock as I can get it without having to beef up the drive line. Thats why I didn't get the Traxxas Spartan. Once you put the 6S in it it ruins stuff. The most common was to go to a 180 amp seaking, go to 5S lipo and an after market prop. Or I heard just going to a better prop is all I need. If I could do that, that would be better. Less money.
    Last edited by kobiwan73; 07-23-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Kobiwan,
    I know where you are at I tried cars Onroad and it takes too much time working on them. I want to drive it not work on it all the time be it a car, boat, air plane or Chopper.
    I have had my Re Volt for a few days in time working with it. Get the boat then go over ever bolt and nut. File rudder water pickup slot and sharpen. Balance prop and sharpen the prop. I was not happy with the cable that came in mine so I bought a new Hughey cable. K.I.S.S. is the rule all the info and help you will find here these guys are really great. Because I am not wasting my time I stepped up and added V4 EagleTree Data Logger to my boat so I can verify what is faster or slower NO BS! I will pass along what does and does not work for me. I will also post pictures of my install I hope within the week. Heck it's 100°F in Chicago I won't be at the pond anyway HA.
    There is someone else who has already posted his EagleTree info here so look around.
    Good Luck,
    MC

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caruso View Post
    Kobiwan,
    I know where you are at I tried cars Onroad and it takes too much time working on them. I want to drive it not work on it all the time be it a car, boat, air plane or Chopper.
    I have had my Re Volt for a few days in time working with it. Get the boat then go over ever bolt and nut. File rudder water pickup slot and sharpen. Balance prop and sharpen the prop. I was not happy with the cable that came in mine so I bought a new Hughey cable. K.I.S.S. is the rule all the info and help you will find here these guys are really great. Because I am not wasting my time I stepped up and added V4 EagleTree Data Logger to my boat so I can verify what is faster or slower NO BS! I will pass along what does and does not work for me. I will also post pictures of my install I hope within the week. Heck it's 100°F in Chicago I won't be at the pond anyway HA.
    There is someone else who has already posted his EagleTree info here so look around.
    Good Luck,
    MC
    Mike,
    Thanks for the info. So far everyone on here has been a big help. where do I find the Hughey Cable? I assume that is a better drive line? (new to boats) What does one cost?

You need to go thru everything to make sure it's right before throwing it on "the track".
    This is a RTR boat. probably 98% of the people that buy these have NO knowledge of this web forum or even have the time to do ANY research on how to properly "fix" these boats that are supposed to be RTR.

Most people buy the boat and plop in battery’s and head for the lake. When the flex shaft breaks and everything goes to the bottom in the first 10 feet of running the boat what are they to do? Call support and wait two weeks for the replacements. By that time their vacation is over and the whole family is disappointed.

After spending $50+ on my Motley Crew and 2+ hours of work on it I was able to make it reliable and fun to operate. Too bad I hit the dock.

Maybe Brushless/Lipo powered boats weren’t meant for the "daily" masses. With this type of power and speed the boats need to be perfect or problems will arise almost immediately. This is what we are seeing.

Built in China SUCKS!

The fix is to have people from our own country build these boats! USA!

I would be willing to pay more if I saw a 100% built in the USA sticker on the box!

So you would pay 100% more for the boat built in USA?? No you wouldn't.

Doby.......you are right once more ! I have a "custom built" FC Cheetah being built and it's a whole lot more than a couple of Revolts.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by kobiwan73 View Post
    Grim
    Thanks for the post. I probably wouldn't be so worried if this wasn't my very first boat, or if I new someone that ran them, but I don't. As you probably have read, I got out of touring car. I was totally into it. had one of, if not the top car(xray T3) and all the best gear, radio esc etc. I got burned out with all it takes to maintain a top race machine, that and my job prevnts me from racing as much as i would like. So thats why I got a RTR. Something I thought I should just be able to unbox it charge and go have fun. I don't have a problem doing routine maintenance or replaceing the occasional worn or broken part. But, I do expect it to be built right from the factory. I mean correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that was the whole idea of a RTR. It's for those who aren't interested in serious racing and just want to have fun and/or get their feet wet into the hobby with out having to build it and pay to buy seperate electronics and all that. They expect it to work out of the box, period. so yeah, I have to admit I am scared to even attempt to run it. Can you garantee me it will work prperly out of the box. Becasue I feel you should be able to. If not you need to address who is building them. Becasue reading some of the other posts, you seem to have someone that is giving up on the Aquacraft brand. Not good. allot of companies get there business from word of mouth.
    Thanks again for the post, I still have a couple of days to change my mind.
    ko,

I understand your concern.

I raced RC cars for over 20 years. But for me it was my eyes sight that got me out of it. I raced all kinds but really liked 1/8 Scale on and off road racing. great times..

Im not 100 convinced RTR means 100 percent perfect and or that comes with a Guarantee" as such. We know this so we offer a Warranty that Hobby Services takes care of. There are "Boat" guys at Hobby Services so your in good hands.
    As for the business end of things its FAR MORE complicated then a few simple words. The VERY best we can do and are more than willing to do is "listen", “Understand" and communicate. If that’s not working for you I will be the VERY FIRST too tell you there are some VERY GOOD other MFGs in the RC boat market and maybe that fits you better. As much as we want you running AquaCraft we understand our products might not be for everybody. (I think it says that in the manual too) You know that silly old saying.. Can’t please everybody. As much as I hate that it’s just a simple fact.

Kind Regards

Grimracer
    Last edited by Grimracer; 07-25-2012 at 11:36 AM.

The thing I'd like to know is why on earth have the last two boats AQ has released had the same problem with flex shafts?
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...brand-new-prop!
    You figure that after the Motley Crew issues they would have made sure this wasn't an issue on the next release.
    It's really too bad Grims great designs are being hampered by Chinese quality control. Mike needs to go over there with a stout chunk of Hickory and "explain" quality control for a couple hours (or until it sinks in!) He's takin' the heat and doing a damn fine job of it for these simple and cheap to fix issues!
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

I wonder sometimes if these products wouldn't be better as ARTRs. It would at the very least get guys back to building some, and I like to think they would be happier with the end result.
    Just thinkin out load.
    Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Siber.. that is the AquaCraft 800 pound gorilla. And that SOB is putting up one hell of a fight..

I wish I could fill everybody in on the gory details but truth be told some things we just are not willing to talk about. WHEN.. and im committed to getting it right.. get this hammered out its going to be BEER 30 for me!

You will all know its been completely dealt with when people start something else..

take care.. and again we are working hard at all the stuff the guys have been talking about.

Grimracer

Doug,

Hi Ho my friend.. The numbers just dont support ARTR. Its up to the people and there purchacing habbits. untill the, what did ko say, "Something I thought I should just be able to unbox it charge and go have fun" changes its a tough call.

Play with out the "pay". I think we are in for the long haul and truth is I dont see it getting any better anytime soon.

I will say this however. AquaCraft does have something on the work bench that "WILL" shake up the way things are done in our market. Its going to be a "risk" on our part but we/Im a boater and also want to see this.. change.. or is it added... eather way.

Take care

Grimracer

Problems arise. its how we solve them that makes it interesting.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Hello sir,
    I understand Grim, and you WOULD know that better than me.
    I was just thinking that some of these mistakes seem basic and MAYBE the end user would do a better job. Less of a hurry or whatever.
    Certainly not meant as a bash, "just typing to hear the keys click" I guess lol.

Steven you are so right.
    D.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Looks like Jang is also having trouble with the Revolt straight out of the box.

"Yeah I just ran mine for the second time this morning. Got 3 minutes worth of video before noticing pretty much all the hardware failed. Center strut hanging on by half a bolt, cable slipped out of the collet, rudder ready to fall out. This thing sure does submerge with the quickness if it dips the nose down, too. Out of the box the thing was a master leakmeister, but I at least got that fixed before the first disastrous maiden a few weeks back (hit a bag floating in the water, popped the whole cable out, flooded interior with seawater). I look forward to a day when I can drive this thing a lot "

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...=155837&page=2

Quote Originally Posted by NissanGTR View Post
    Looks like Jang is also having trouble with the Revolt straight out of the box.

"Yeah I just ran mine for the second time this morning. Got 3 minutes worth of video before noticing pretty much all the hardware failed. Center strut hanging on by half a bolt, cable slipped out of the collet, rudder ready to fall out. This thing sure does submerge with the quickness if it dips the nose down, too. Out of the box the thing was a master leakmeister, but I at least got that fixed before the first disastrous maiden a few weeks back (hit a bag floating in the water, popped the whole cable out, flooded interior with seawater). I look forward to a day when I can drive this thing a lot "

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...=155837&page=2
    I know several folks with these, and none have had issues as described. Granted most everyone read the directions and used some thread locker and hit most of the parts.. or at least verified they were secure. I didn't do thread locker at first, I checked them before every run. As I find anything that loosens I do use locker. I did however not lube my flex shaft and ended up needing to replace it... but that was my fault. One guy who ran his for the first time the other night checked before running and his was all but dry.. so we lub'ed him up good. Zero issues :) Must be a lemon or you didnt read directions.. good luck either way though :)

Quote Originally Posted by wavekatcher View Post
    I'm sending mine back to tower. Hopefully the motor and flex alignment looks better on the next one I called Hobbico and the tech guy says it is ok to run it this way as long as the flex isn't rubbing the brass stuffing tube. I disagree.CIMG0581.jpg

I finally received my replacement boat. The motor and flex alignment is better than the 1st boat, but not perfect.

Now to get her ready to run. Lots to do so the maiden voyage is fun

Hmm mine isn't fraying it just pulled straight out. Doesn't even make sense... thrust should push it into the adapter if anything. *shrug* < thats shows you how much jang knows about boats . lol ,

All I know is when these RTRs come out with these poorly built and mis aligned cables I end up making more than I care to. Love the business but the spartan shaft takes machining down from 5mm. I think I have almost replaced every spartan cable out there...LOL. Communicating with mfg to fix something is certainly a handful but it takes good specs so they can understand and then they do it right. Mounting a motor wrong certainly is not hard to do but given you are dealing with some assemblers that do not get it means you have to have very well drawn specs to meet mfg tolerances.

I have almost thought of getting out of parts and building good RTR boats...that way I get to build since all I seem to do is build parts. At least I can be assured they would be true RTR and they would have hours of testing on them...I like bullet proof out of the box. You get what you get for these prices. Seems tweaking a motor mount would not be a big issue but sometimes it is.

Re Volt ....guy's try a simply fix because the stuffing box tube to motor alingment if off. Just try and twisting the tube until it lines up like it should. As in my boat it was loose, so I pulled it both ways in and out and used 80 grit paper on a popsicle stick. This makes the tube able to hold onto epoxy or Shoe Goo. Once all lined you are good to go. No you should not have to do this to RTR boat but it also rains after I wash the car SO keep moving forward. I just wish that they installed our boating standard .250 O.D. tube size. I 'll change my over the winter when the water is hard In Chicago LOL
    Mike

Harsh man... harsh.
    Last edited by ray schrauwen; 08-10-2012 at 04:34 PM.
    Nortavlag Bulc

No one cares about your Geico on a AQ Revolt thread......

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Harsh man... harsh.
    Hi Ray,

You know what I mean just fix it, run it to death and fix it again.

Treat it like you hate it thats when they run the best right before you see the smoke jump out of the wires!!!!

Dang, I have not yet figured out how to put the smoke back in those wires but I will let you know if I figured it out.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Harsh man... harsh.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast