Thread: Thrust Bearing

Question Thrust Bearing

Where/how do you install a thrust bearing on the Impulse?? I'm assuming I would need a different motor mount. ????????

Why do you want to install a thrust bearing?

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

This bearing will reduce motor heat by removing the pressure from the rear motor housing bearing in a brushed or brushless motor. This fits in between the coupler and the motor face plate.

Cool

While thrust bearings were popular with brushed motors using bushings (the ever popular 700 motor for example) they are totally unecessary with modern BL motors. The bearings are designed to take axial thrust (the motors were designed for planes), so adding an extra thrust bearing is not needed. Even if it was, setting one up correctly on most motors is very difficult and should rely on feeler gauges. Why?

To work as intended the thrust bearing must be trapped between the motor coupler and the motor endplate when thrust is applied. That means there must be minimal radial play when set up correctly. The problem is that on many motors with little to no endplay, it is very tough to get the proper setup. You do not want any pre-load at all - this can actually put an opposite thrust force on the motor bearing. This does not only negate the reason for using a separate thrust bearing, but it actually increases the total friction and heat. Most thrust bearings I have seen mounted by boaters have a preload, so they are actually in worse shape than if they had no bearing at all. Use one if you want, but most successful racers do not for the simple reason KISS.

If you are having overheating problems on the motor, or the bearings are giving out too soon - your problem is not the lack of a thrust bearing.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    While thrust bearings were popular with brushed motors using bushings (the ever popular 700 motor for example) they are totally unecessary with modern BL motors. The bearings are designed to take axial thrust (the motors were designed for planes), so adding an extra thrust bearing is not needed. Even if it was, setting one up correctly on most motors is very difficult and should rely on feeler gauges. Why?

To work as intended the thrust bearing must be trapped between the motor coupler and the motor endplate when thrust is applied. That means there must be minimal radial play when set up correctly. The problem is that on many motors with little to no endplay, it is very tough to get the proper setup. You do not want any pre-load at all - this can actually put an opposite thrust force on the motor bearing. This does not only negate the reason for using a separate thrust bearing, but it actually increases the total friction and heat. Most thrust bearings I have seen mounted by boaters have a preload, so they are actually in worse shape than if they had no bearing at all. Use one if you want, but most successful racers do not for the simple reason KISS.

If you are having overheating problems on the motor, or the bearings are giving out too soon - your problem is not the lack of a thrust bearing.

i couldnt agree more