Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lipo sack scam alert

Finally an intelligent post out of Wisconsin! relax Doug
    Well almost,
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Guy's, after working in the construction industry for many years, there is a device that many of you may not be familiar with, especially if you live down south( http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...5-plumbing.htm)
    Where do ya recon Mount Willing Alabama is Jeff?
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

How about a charging compound at events? We used to have to impound our transmitters, why not have a designated charging area that is constantly manned with saftey equipment at hand in case something happens?
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caruso View Post
    Hey Doug,

Mike C. - Are you serious about the asbestos? :)

Just throwing it out there to see if anyone had tried it.
    I tried it...got one of these off Ebay:

box 2.jpgbox 3.jpgbox 1.jpg

Of course all the asbestos is covered with steel...and I haven't had a fire yet, but these walls are over 3/8 thick so I'm pretty sure it'll handle what I can throw at it. As you can see, even this isn't described as "fire proof".

Of course these don't show up for sale every day, so I guess there's a bit of a supply/demand problem with them.

My bet is that a lipo fire will blow the lid of that easially

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger9D9 View Post
    I tried it...got one of these off Ebay:

box 2.jpgbox 3.jpgbox 1.jpg

Of course all the asbestos is covered with steel...and I haven't had a fire yet, but these walls are over 3/8 thick so I'm pretty sure it'll handle what I can throw at it. As you can see, even this isn't described as "fire proof".

Of course these don't show up for sale every day, so I guess there's a bit of a supply/demand problem with them.
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Wow.
    If an Australian imported anything asbestos, he and it would be taken way out back and buried in a concrete bunker with all other end-of-life hazardous material ( nuclear, toxic waste, ex-wives ).

Asbestos, dangerous stuff that.

Dont you guys have MDS that regulate this stuff ?
    Wayne Schutte PhdCSE BaSE BaEE. Australian, & damn proud of it YOUTUBE
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @

This is America doc. We can buy our 50 cal rifles wrapped in asbestos if we want ;-)

You guys want me to repost all sources for the fireproof and fire resistant materials (no asbestos) i did about two years ago, maybe longer, been a while, most are cheap with the exception of a few. Yes? No?

Then again someone could just dig through very old posts...heh.

There are safty cabnets for flamables and cumbustibles, for complete containment. On the other hand, a bag made of carbon fiber matting would be good for something like 6800F. It would vent and give some containment.

I charge my lipos in a sentry fireproof safe with the lid down. It's fire resistant and my thought is that it had enough mass that it can be picked up and taken outside without me burning myself while carrying it.

My issue with the metal cases is that it will transfer the heat onto whatever surface it's on. I'd be afraid of something catching on fire if it was in contact with the container.

My safe cost $22 but for me that was money well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by J Solinger View Post
    There are safty cabnets for flamables and cumbustibles, for complete containment. On the other hand, a bag made of carbon fiber matting would be good for something like 6800F. It would vent and give some containment.
    Joe,
    I like that one.
    Mike

Well it's been a while. Got good news. I was reading up on my new Canopy. My new Canopy's top and side panels are made from "fire Resistant" materials. So as long as I am charging under and inside my canopy I am in full compliance with IMPBA's so called safety rules.
    Ye Ha!

WOW - A Joe Solinger sighting. Nice to read some intelligent posting now and then.

For those still searching for actual safe handling and charging procedures and apparatuses, I would remind you that 1. Do not leave your charging un-attended and 2. Monitor your cells (Balance charge only, Temperature checks, and swell checks). So when you decide on a protective vessel you need to be able to hook up all the wires and be able to observe the cells during charge. Without these two very important steps you are just pretending to be safe.

Doug
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

Quote Originally Posted by DPeterson View Post
    For those still searching for actual safe handling and charging procedures and apparatuses, I would remind you that 1. Do not leave your charging un-attended and 2. Monitor your cells (Balance charge only, Temperature checks, and swell checks). So when you decide on a protective vessel you need to be able to hook up all the wires and be able to observe the cells during charge. Without these two very important steps you are just pretending to be safe.

Doug
    Words for the wise Doug. Its good to see you too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12