Thread: Fresh Paint, First Day on Water, OUCH!!!

Default Fresh Paint, First Day on Water, OUCH!!!

Finally got the new impulse with a fresh paint job out on the test pond Sunday. When I first got the boat I ripped everything out form the get-go, layed carbon fiber in the hull, all new electronics, and ofocurse a paint job. I couldn't wait to run it so I put off laying carbon fiber in the canopy, figuring I'd do it after a couple fun test runs right? Got her dialed in nicely on 4s on the first run. On the second run decided to try out 5s. A wise man once said, "whatever can go wrong, will go wrong." As can be seen by the pics below, several fun speed runs later with one nice whipe out and my custom paint job just became custom-er (thats a word right?).

Here's to not skipping on canopy re-inforcement in the future!

Don't feel bad, after spending the winter painting my SV27 and the wife's Shock Wave. Took them out for the first time, and wife turned in front of me. Nice chip in the nose of my SV, after all was done I was upside down in the water and being the Shock Wave is my rescue boat, by the time she brought it in and I put the rig on it my Sv was on the rocks with a BIG chip in the cowl. Shock Wave just a scratch you can barely see. Oh well if you wanted them to stay pretty you wouldn't play with them.

Oh man!... that sucks. good thing it wasnt a candy paint or something hard to match!

Yea, the impulse hatch can't take much of a hit. I cf'd mine after the first crack.
    Paint looks good though.
    white geico w/2200kv 3674 leopard 53.5mph 4s2p, geico w/ 1800kv outrunner 52mph on 4s2p, genesis w/2200kv castle 53.8 on 4s2p, impulse 31 w/2200kv castle, stock p1 and ul-1

Balls! Love the paint scheme dude!

Were you able to pop that back out?

I just laid down some cf last night in my hatch after seeing this. Nice paint job by the way!

Thanks for all props on the paint. This was my first time painting a boat that involved more than just a solid color. That being said it'll probably be the last time I put that much work into it, vinyl decals all the way next time.

As for the canopy, I was able to push it back out. On the sides where you see the white in the pictures it cracked almost all the way through, nothing a little carbon fiber and resin can't fix. It won't look as perfect as it did due to a lot of hair line cracks in the paint on the strips but it'll work until I have the time to paint a new one. Can't wait to get it on the water and get a top speed out of her, she was insane.

I think it looked pretty cool squished down. Looked like a Villian.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    I think it looked pretty cool squished down. Looked like a Villian.

Now that you mention it, it would be cool to cut a canopy down and make a "poker run" version of the impulse.

Yepper. Modifications make the hobby go on and on.....
    Nortavlag Bulc

Those canopies are awful and crack real fast. its a bummer on that nice paintjob