Thread: The "best" general all around setup for the Mystic

Default The "best" general all around setup for the Mystic

Hopefully someone can help me here... I've read through the Miss Geico and Mystic forums for over a year now. I was planning on purchasing a Miss Geico last year, and then switched to the Mystic, then didnt buy either of them. But this summer I'd like to purchase one.

Now in my research I've seen what makes the boats go the fastest, but what I'm wanting is the best setup for speed but also not riding the fine line between blowing a motor or ESC.

For instance, if I can go on 4S and run a setup that gets me into the 50mph range, or else go 6S and hit 55 but be near burning up my electronics, I'd rather go with the 4S setup.

With that said, can anyone recommend me a setup that would do this? I want a good mix of speed but also just something I can goof around with, without thinking it's going to blow at any moment.

My thoughts are...

Leopard 4074 2200KV
    2S lipos, ran in series so actually 4S voltage, or else 4S batteries parallel so I get more runtime
    150-180A ESC
    Either a Octura x642 or a GrimRacer 42x55... cant decide.

Any other suggestions? Feel free to totally change this around if needed, last year is when I spent the most time researching, so if something has changed since late last summer to be a "better" setup, I'd love to hear about it.

That is a good motor esc combo for that boat. 180 esc and Leo 2200. I would opt for the m445

On 4S? Will it be fast enough to satisfy my need for speed but not so fast I'm constantly risking blowing some electrical component?

I dont know much about the numbers on props... will the m445 be faster than a x642 or Grimracer 42x55?

On 4s with m445 you'll get into the 50's. I cant say on the other props.I wouldnt use 642 mainly because of the lift it causes. It's a cat, lift in the rear is the opposite of what you want really. The 642 and 42x55 are both 42mm diameter. 445 is larger prop, less pitch than 642, therefor less lift. I prolly wouldn't bother with 42x55 personally. X442 is same diameter, with a little more pitch. Better speed. On cats I prefer m props. Just me tho.
    Running series will be lighter and a bit faster( maybe 1 or 2 mph) than parallel (because of weight), but the added weight helps keep the boat in the water.
    are you sport boating? Racing?

I dont know the difference between M and X props, tbh, so I guess I'll need to go look that up.

I would be sport boating really. I dont need tons of speed, I just want something fun to play with but also that can go fast when I want it to. So I'm looking for the best of both worlds.

well an x442 or m445 will work well imo.
    theres tons of info on props if you search

For instance, if I can go on 4S and run a setup that gets me into the 50mph range, or else go 6S and hit 55 but be near burning up my electronics, I'd rather go with the 4S setup....
    You will draw a lot few amps on 6S, it will be easier on your electronics than 50 mph on 4S. You just need to choose the right components. A motor in the 1500-1600 Kv range with props in the m445 range will get you to 55 mph. Keeping the boat on the water at that speed may be the challenge.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I'm OK with going 6S if I need to, it just the batteries are A) more expensive and B) heavier.

I was trying to keep the weight and the cost down as low as possible and one way to do that seemed to be going down to 4S.

I'd be more than happy actually to go 6S because most of my other stuff, like my 48" Edge, uses 3S batteries so I'd rather stick with 3S2P if I can...

I maybe need to mess around more with the speed calculator up top, I couldn't really get it figured out. What I typed in last night said my boat would go like 88mph...

[QUOTE=Recty;431648

My thoughts are...

Leopard 4074 2200KV
    2S lipos, ran in series so actually 4S voltage, or else 4S batteries parallel so I get more runtime
    150-180A ESC
    Either a Octura x642 or a GrimRacer 42x55... cant decide.

.[/QUOTE
    First if you run a 2200kv motor you will want to be on 4s X 2 not 2s X2 for 4s as you will blow them up in a week a 2200kv with a 642 or m445 pulls around 120A average and a 2s 30c will be gone it 1minute

I run a leo2200kv and a leo 2000 kv on x642 and m445 with a t180 using 65c 4s and get 3 minutes full out wide open and then give them a break and then usualy get about 2 more minutes of run time
    If I just play around the pond I can get 5-6 minutes and still not worry about the puff on 5000mah i put about 3800 mah back in and no puff
    Miss Geico (now white) Leopard 4074 2200kv motor T180 esc,x642 54.6 mph
    Miss Geico 2(now black and white)4074 2000kv motor, T180 esc m445 51.2 mph
    FAT PEOPLE ARE HARD TO KIDNAP

Skyhighdiver, how fast does your boat run?

Yeah, if running on 2S2P would make my runtimes that bad, then I'd have to get 4S batteries and at that point I'm not really saving any money over going 6S.

From the speed calc up top, looks like I could run on 6S, m440 with a Leopard 1800kv 4074 and get about 62 mph... that would be MORE than enough for me, probably more than I want actually but I dont want to spend $100 on a motor and then be like oh... I wish I had a higher KV so I could go faster.

How exactly does prop diameter affect acceleration and top speed? Obviously, all things the same, the wider prop is going to be faster than a smaller prop, but...

If I used a m440 on 6S... that would be more of a top speed setup, not so much fast acceleration?

Whereas if I used a m445 on 6S but with a lower KV motor, I'd be hitting the same top speed (lets say I got a KV motor that calculated out to exactly the same top speed as the higher KV would be on an m445) but would I be accelerating faster to get there?

Basically, does a m440 on 6S at 2200KV accelerate slower than a m445 on 6S at 1800KV? Or if the end pitch/rpm ratio is the same, will they both accelerate the same?

Seems to me that a bigger but slower spinning prop would provide better acceleration due to less slip, but attain the same top end speed if the KV were correct?

I hope someone can understand and answer my question...

Quote Originally Posted by Recty View Post
    Skyhighdiver, how fast does your boat run?

Yeah, if running on 2S2P would make my runtimes that bad, then I'd have to get 4S batteries and at that point I'm not really saving any money over going 6S.

From the speed calc up top, looks like I could run on 6S, m440 with a Leopard 1800kv 4074 and get about 62 mph... that would be MORE than enough for me, probably more than I want actually but I dont want to spend $100 on a motor and then be like oh... I wish I had a higher KV so I could go faster.
    FAT PEOPLE ARE HARD TO KIDNAP