Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor/Esc Recommendation for Spartan

Default Motor/Esc Recommendation for Spartan

I have a new Spartan running dual 3s Traxxas 8400 mah 25c batteries and I am looking to upgrade my motor and esc. I know that a lot of people are doing the standard leopard motor / seawing esc combo but I wanted to see what other options exist. I was talking to somebody about a neu 1521 1 y with a Hydra Ice 240 esc. Any thoughts on this particular configuration? Any other recommendations?

Thanks

Matt

Neu motor is much better to start with. 1521 would crank in that sucker!

Thanks for the recommendation, dana. Any other combos I should look at?

Please dont take this wrong, but you'd be putting a Ferarri V12 in a Cavalier. You will spend way more on those two items than the whole boat was ever worth...................then you have an ABS hotrod still.

Stick with a 4 pole Leopard 4082 or 4092 in the 1400-1600kv range on 6s, the 4092 will most likely be faster than a 1521 anyways.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Make a wake has a point....

On the other hand, the Neu will run cooler

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    Please dont take this wrong, but you'd be putting a Ferarri V12 in a Cavalier. You will spend way more on those two items than the whole boat was ever worth...................then you have an ABS hotrod still.

Stick with a 4 pole Leopard 4082 or 4092 in the 1400-1600kv range on 6s, the 4092 will most likely be faster than a 1521 anyways.
    I really appreciate your candor, Make-a-Wake, and take no offense. Money is not the concern with this boat and with the custom paint job planned for the fall and the other parts that I already have invested, this is a ridiculously expensive boat. I will definitely look into 4092.

If this motor is still here when you log back on you could run it on 5s:

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...nious-for-sale
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Thanks for the recommendation, Make-a-Wake. I only have 3S packs. Do you think that would support a 6s run?

I wouldnt do it........................5s is pushin it but it can handle it with a tamer prop.

Roger that. Thank you very much for all of the suggestions; I sincerely appreciate it.

I concur with what has already been discussed.

I run a 1515 2200kv with a T180 ESC and X442 prop on 5S in one of my Spartans, and it has been solid so far.

Prior to running the 1515 on 5s, I cooked a T180 ESC trying to run a Leopard 4074 2000kv on 6s with a P220 prop.

This gives you an idea of how close to "on the edge" you will be running with high kv motors on 6s.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by dag-nabit View Post
    I concur with what has already been discussed.

I run a 1515 2200kv with a T180 ESC and X442 prop on 5S in one of my Spartans, and it has been solid so far.

Prior to running the 1515 on 5s, I cooked a T180 ESC trying to run a Leopard 4074 2000kv on 6s with a P220 prop.

This gives you an idea of how close to "on the edge" you will be running with high kv motors on 6s.

Kevin
    Kevin,

Thanks much for the insight. I know that we have talked about this on another board. What would be your feeling on running the 1515 or the 1521 with an X442 or M445 with a 240 ESC? Would the 240 mitigate the 6s in your opinion?

--Matt

The Neu motors will swing those props with ease. As far as motor size I wouldn't go smaller than 1515 or Leo can size 4082. As far as kv, on 6s your best bet is anything 1600kv and under. Any more you risk motor damage. Using a big esc to mitigate using high voltage on high kv will only result in burning up your motor. Sure the esc might handle it, it's your motor that will suffer.

That being said, I also run 1515 2200kv on 5s in a mean machine, but I'm swinging a small prop. M440. I would never have tried this with a Leo motor of the same kv

Really want to thank everybody for their feedback, suggestions, and candor. I appreciate everybody sharing their knowledge with me and not roasting me for being a noob.

Working with Steven here at OSE, I am going to go with the Leopard 4092 1730 and the 180 Seawing ESC. Looks like I am going to try this out with about a x442 prop.

Sound like a pretty good setup?

--Matt

If Steven suggested it I would take his advise. 1730 will really rip! 38000 rpm should be good for some really fast sport running

Steven suggested the 4082 but agreed that we can do the 4092. It should go or blow. If it blows, good thing I am PADI certified

Well, Steven, from what I can tell, always gives an honest answer, and doesn't like to suggest a setup he isn't sure of, considering the fact that he knows, if it fails, he has to answer to the customer. I think you'll be safe -)

My dealings with Steven have been nothing short of fantastic. He appears to be very knowledgable and approachable. If you are reading this Steven, kudos to you!

Quote Originally Posted by mojogator View Post
    Really want to thank everybody for their feedback, suggestions, and candor. I appreciate everybody sharing their knowledge with me and not roasting me for being a noob.

Working with Steven here at OSE, I am going to go with the Leopard 4092 1730 and the 180 Seawing ESC. Looks like I am going to try this out with about a x442 prop.

Sound like a pretty good setup?

--Matt
    Matt any feedback on this setup? i am ordering the same setup.

It appears to be a good setup. Due to schedule I have not had a chance to run it much, but when I took it out, it was plenty fast (have not GPS'ed it yet). Two recommendations: Definitely order the programming card. I did not originally and for some reason, the programming would not stick when I tried to program manually. With the card, no problems. I lost a few weeks on this. The second recommendation: Shorten the wires coming from the ESC to go to the batteries. Steve did a very nice job putting everything together but the wires are super long. I shortened them to make the connection to the batteries easier to make. This should also help with the power flow from the batteries to the ESC (Impedance?) I should have more time to try everything else this weekend.

that is odd that the programming would not stick, i did not order the card with the ESC as there was not much to program with the 180 as compaired to one on my helis. well i will find out soon enough. keep me posted.
    thanks

It was weird. The programming would not stick and for some reason, the throttle range setting did not take, either. I about chopped off my finger the first time the prop started turning full blast unexpectedly. I talked with Steve, watched youtube videos, everything without any luck. I must have been doing something wrong. Got the programming card and no issues. Good luck to you on this.

I have had trouble with one ECS that would not recognize the middle throttle position so when I went to low and then high it armed the ECS and started to swing a pair of 550 MM blades. Luckily I was fast and did not strip a gear or lose my head. LOL
    Did you waterproof the ESC and do the cooling mod?

Always have to watch out for the spinning sharp things :)

I did not waterproof the ESC with anything like CorrosionX but did seal up the receiver box with marine silicone. I mounted the ESC by cutting a few pieces of plastic to size, stacked them together and glued them with Gorilla Glue to make a base to get above the height of the radio tray. I used double sided tape to mount the esc to this base I made. I have wiped out a few times and everything held.

I am using a full cooling compliment on this (dual pickup rudder, dedicated cooling lines to motor and esc, etc) and the temperatures have been cool. I have the TQI radio and telemetry running with a motor temp gauge. I can not remember motor temps off the top of my head but will take a look this weekend.

Yeah I am worried if I do all the waterproofing if they will still repair it. I posed the question but got no replies. I can’t wait to hear how the weekend goes. Are you really running 2 8400? I was going to run my Heli batteries in there but I thought they would be too big so I got some 3S 5000’s

Yep, I am running 2 8400 Traxxas packs. I have two sets. Have not had a problem with them.

Here is a very brief clip of the boat running with the new motor config, 4 changemaker trim tabs, and 2 8400 packs. I did not have it fully dialed in on the trim. I blew a solder, so it cut the day short. As you can see, she is hauling and is pretty stable.

Sweet!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast