Thread: Turnigy Aquastar or Seaking 120

Question Turnigy Aquastar or Seaking 120

Just about to go ahead and get either of these. HK has the Turnigy in the US warehouse for a great price, with the card included.
    Is the Seaking a better choice here? Its going in my MC, for added peace of mind and to be ready in case I upgrade the motor. Plus, I just want it, lol. One of them anyway. Thanks.

Turnigy has more options to configure (as well as the included programmer card as you've mentioned). I would have bought it over my SK120 had I not had the shakes from my boat being down for a week and wanting a fix quickly. I would think the Aquastar is a newer model with the added features.

Get the new swordfish 120 with data logging from OSE.

The aqua star is completely different. Not a newer version.

I would get the one from OSE except they are out of stock. So , being impatient, kind of like MassiveOverkill I went ahead and ordered the Turnigy. I am dead sure that I will also be buying one or probably more esc's in the future. So, I will try both myself. Thank you for the advice. Rum, I am not sure I get exactly what you mean, "The aqua star is completely different. Not a newer version."?
    I got it for $79 shipped, not bad. There is one on Ebay right now going for over $80 plus $9 shipping! I don't get it?

If you look at their site, the Aquastar also comes in a blue shrink wrap version, that has been on their site longer than the one which I assume you are talking about--- the one with a metal jacket. If judged by looks, yes, they seemed different, therefore the confusion.

The Turnigy Marine 120a is by far the BEST value in a 120a ESC............simple to use and darn near bulletproof!! The Aquastar causes folks fits half the time.
    Last edited by Make-a-Wake; 06-29-2012 at 12:09 AM.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

The Aquastar is Turnigy. Which causes fits? The Seaking or Turnigy?

The Turnigy 120a Marine version is the good one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Boat_ESC.html
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Oh, ok. Thank you.

Read thru all the reviews on the Aquastar, you must click on the bottom right of the reviews to see all, some smoked right off, some DOA, some water nipples loose and fried it, some hard to program etc............

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ooled_ESC.html

The Turnigy 120a ( not Aquastar ) is also the same esc as the Seaking 120a which both use the same prog box.

I've used both esc and i can say Aquastar is the BEST!
    Turnigy Aquastar, Swordfish 120A and Tenshock 120A are the same esc, Hifei 120A....
    That esc is so good with 4 capacitors instead of 2 on turnigy marine....
    Turnigy marine go down when you ask for real power!!!!
    I use Hifei ESC (marked as Aquastar and Tenshock) on 3S with 5100 and 5600kv motors so i need a lot of power!!!
    HPR 115 kevlar bulletproof @90mph, MHZ Rapid carbonfiber, Bingo Race Minieco
    Futaba AIR TX/RX system with telemetry

Well, a few differing opinions here, which is always good. I have the Aquastar on the way, I am going to put it in my Motley Crew and see how it does. Like I said, if I wasnt so impatient, I would have waited for OSE to get more Seaking 120's in Stock, but................

Can I throw out one more option. If it will fit, why not buy the Turnigy 180 or the Seaking 180(same thing). The darn thing is cheap and I have had very good luck with them. I use them on small boats to 6s Q-hydro's with no problems to date. I did have one pop on me, but I was running in a very small pond and was working it real hard (on and off) the throttle over and over. My fault. It is overkill for a small boat, but for the price why not? Then you can use it later on a bigger boat if you choose. Just a thought.

It's a great thought. But impatient me already bought the Turnigy Aquastar 120.

you've made the best choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    The Turnigy Marine 120a is by far the BEST value in a 120a ESC............simple to use and darn near bulletproof!! The Aquastar causes folks fits half the time.
    Totally ! Just squirt in some corrosion-X & go for it. I set my P-Ltd Offshore record with it - still run it in my P-Ltd Sport Hydro.

Bought one of these two; http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ming_Card.html
    looks a little more waterproof but the T-120 Marine is the better buy if you keep it dry.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

I agree with Tony I have run both and still do but the best bang for your buck is the T 120 marine, I have one in my Fe30 p spec boat and it rocks just as Tony says squirt some corrosion X in it and ur gd yo go.
    Socal Fe member, miss gieco castle 1515 1y t-180, blackjack29 stock,insane FE30 p sport castle 1515 1y t-180, insane FE30 p spec ul-1 motor t-120, insane 34"mono neu 1521 1.5d t-180

For my opinion is wrong to choose an ESC for the waterproof capacity...
    Water must not enter in the boat!
    The Aquastar can bring a 5600kv motor at 3 cells, the Marine can not!
    That's the real difference!

Quote Originally Posted by banixj View Post
    For my opinion is wrong to choose an ESC for the waterproof capacity...
    Water must not enter in the boat!
    That's the real difference!
    I'll keep that in mind the next time I need a 62,160 RPM prop speed.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

I haven't run the waterproof version of the aquastar, but I've ran the old style (swordfish 120) and the turnigy (seaking 120). I actually have 6 of the seaking 120s here now. Both are great ESCs for the value.
    I would try out the new SF120 with datalogging personally...data logging is a great feature to have, especially on those 5600kv setups.lol

Quote Originally Posted by banixj View Post
    Thats not a good boat setup at all...............if its an 18" boat on 2s with a small prop you may get away with it.

I do like the SF120/Hifei 120 too for the caps are better quality and 4 of them as said above.

I did notice if they get wet they can shut down until they are properly dried out so do not depend on their waterproofing.

On these esc's there is an interface connector between boards like a Castle. When water gets in there it stops.

Sooo, I went and used proper electrical epoxy and encapsulated that connector. That and i added DP270 to the other areas also so they can get wet if it happens.

I agree with Banixj, boats need to stay dry inside, otherwise the Rx gets wet and then shut down again....

I just plug and play after throttle calibration, great esc's. Also I added extra Etti Heat sinks on mine instead of a thin aluminum plate.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I've run both and they both are good. My buddy didn't have as much luck on the HW120 though.
    If all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed!

Came yesterday. Looks very nice, lol. So, if it performs as well as it looks I'll be very happy. Very quick service from HK USA warehouse. I only buy from the USA location so some of their products are not available to me.

I set the timing on mine to 10 deg and forward only and no lvc but I time my runs so I don't over discharge.
    Socal Fe member, miss gieco castle 1515 1y t-180, blackjack29 stock,insane FE30 p sport castle 1515 1y t-180, insane FE30 p spec ul-1 motor t-120, insane 34"mono neu 1521 1.5d t-180