Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miss geico Water issue.

Default Miss geico Water issue.

So I was having some issue with the MG last summer with water comming up into the boat.

Have a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75ONVwNFm_o

This was towards aug last year, and I had been trying to figure it out. I lubed the shaft, and after just a few min of running it would be all over the inside, and the shaft would be wet,and free of grease. So I just cleaned it out and it hit the shelf.

IMG_4152 (Medium).JPG

While prepping a mystic for a friend I found some different sleev's in his parts bag , and I got to ask if I have it right in the pic. ?

Do the teflon bearing just cover the back ? Ore am I supossed to have a part 'B' for the front part of the shaft ( where the kintec bushing covers the shaft) I have the Kintec Shaft + bushing wich is a tad longer , Not sure if the shaft is worn , so I will try to replace it with the new one I have. Any other idea on what to do and look for ?

thanks for looking
    Drammen rock City

Let us know what you find out.. I have the same issue. I pressure tested the lines in the boat with no leaks but I always seem to come back with some water in my boat and it gets worse the more I run?

Sure, I to tested the lines and I think the water jackets on the motor cooling is tight to.

But do I have the placement of the sleve on the top flex shaft right, no more support for the shaft inside the house is needed ( not sure the kintec do either but it's longer )
    Drammen rock City

I noticed afew things on your video,, you need heatshrink covering where the stuffing tube goes into the strut,,,your gap inbetween the drive dog and the strut looks alittle to much space, i run mine about a 1/4 of that and you should slip a peice of rubber tubing over where the flex comes out of the stuffing box inside the hull,, all this should help or cure your problem..try these and let us no!!!

Grease the shaft. Many times water intrudes up the stuffing tube. Check ur screws to see if they leak water

I will try to take a run with a new sleve bearing and flexshaft like in the pic and shrink tube over the strutt / stuffing tube as I don't like the gap it makes.

I can't remeber if I removed a bushing in the front , where the stuffing tube enters the strutt , before I installed the KINTEC uppgrade bushing . But the grove in the strutt is lager than the stuffingtube 'end' going into the struttt ,( see pic) and I think it feels flimsy, raising ore lowering the strutt makes a small gap as you can se i the pic.

I also, as you mentioned Hydro, have a fuel line pice at the outcome towards the motor.

After just a few minut's of running all the grease is gone from the Flexshaft , and if I take it appart at site, clean/dry it, and lube it all again, it will be the same after a few minut's.

It's like the lube (have both Proboat and aqua) is not water proof any more , peeling right off if even a small dab of water enters the tube.
    Will post back when I have had a go at it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Drammen rock City

I say all that and mine has always been pritty dry inside but after removeing all the hardware to install some other decals and reclearcoat it, i put it all back together and ran it this morring and mine is now slinging water out of the shaft alittle more than it used two?? I also have a sling gard on mine made out of a peice of plasic...I no when my PB Miss Elam would run she would get like a half cup of water and found the motor cooler was pumping it into the hull..

I thought I had it, all the 4 screws holding the rudder part were , just a tad, loose, making it gap between the strutt/suffingtube. But it spray's water from the flexshaft , easy to tell from the 'tupeware lid'.It has a clear spray patterns just above where the flex comes out/into the motor. Also I think some is comming in by the cooiling line hole at the back. more testing soon.
    Drammen rock City

From last night. A few passes with the geico, and the water was in the hull. Nice spray pattern in the 'tupeware lid' from where the flexs enter the motor coupler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1dJ2...1&feature=plcp

Here is the flex after a few minut's run.
    Drammen rock City

Huum, now mine is looking like that too and getting the same spray, has to be something in the strut area forcing it up the shaft!!!

I have the same problem on both my MGs. After my last redo (50+ submarien) i decieded to try a few things after the rebuild and the one that has worked for me on both is I now have heat shrinked the stuffing box and rudder together and I put 3 full pumps of proboat grease in the tube before I install the shaft I can run 2 sets of batteries through here now before I get noticeable water.If i run 2 more setts before greasing i will end up with about 1/4 cup or less.I drilled a drain hole in back and just drainer her before each new set.
    Miss Geico (now white) Leopard 4074 2200kv motor T180 esc,x642 54.6 mph
    Miss Geico 2(now black and white)4074 2000kv motor, T180 esc m445 51.2 mph
    FAT PEOPLE ARE HARD TO KIDNAP

Hmm, I did not have a water issue untill late last sumer. Not sure how many packs I had thrue it before it started. Changed the bushing + flex for kintec and ran the leo + 180 almost the whole time ( stock setup was only a week ore so)

It just kinda happend, note sure why ore how, ohh well, jkust have to tinke with it some more.
    Drammen rock City

well i just tryed something cheap and new on mine,, i think as time passes running the boat the flex stretches wich in turn leaves a bigger gap between the drive dog so i got a little rubber o-ring and stuck it on inbetween the nylon washer and the strut so it can compress and help seal the shaft and it worked well,, stopped the water spray by half, i run 4s1p so very long run times and i also made a little plastic cover over the flex shaft to the motor and there was just a few droplets on it after the run!!!!

Hmm. Nice to hear. Well I had a go last night and today. My friends mystic runs great with the 180 esc+ prather 220 and 2x2s 4500 nano. No bounch and bone dry inside.

Mine bounches arround the water , and the kintec setup is draging in the water to,got to look into that also. And after one run, I see a small spray on the tupeware lid ,and after the second run, it's water all over,and all grease is gone from the flex, it's clean, like if I took it out and wiped it. Not sure where it all goes , coz the amount of grease spray inside is not the same as I put on the flex. So today I, again greased up the flex, added heat shring on the strutt (where it meets the stuffing). Filled the bathtube and tested to see if it leaked anywhere, after a couple of houers in the tube( I weighted it down so it salt low in the water ) it was nothing, dry, so it has to come up at the nylon washer, eveen though I have it almost rubbing the strutt. Maybe the flex is worn, and needs to be replaced and the plastic tube to. If that does not help I'm lost.
    Drammen rock City

mine had that same spray on the lid, hang on a minute and ill take pics of my stuff to show and yes i didnt have hardly any water after the oring on the flex!!!

here's mine..

So that's how you did it , it just sits between the washer and the strutt, not 'inserted' in any way. ? Also, doe's it have to be a nylon washer :--l I lost mine and found a metal washer the same size.
    Drammen rock City

I probly wouldnt use a metal one but i also have a vhull and only have the rubber oring on it, no nylon washer and come to think about it when i put the heat shreink over the stuffing tube and strut they say not to glue it but mine kept loosening up and coming off so i put some clear silicone on the stuffing tube and tip of the strut and then i put on the heatshreink so when the heatshreink is heated to tighten down thenwet silicone kinda glued it on and that helped also..

Hmm I changed my bushing for lead teflon ones and I'm using a 187th flex and I get a tiny bit of water just like a spray on the inside, I think mine is coming up the flex as the strands spiral up into the boat. Just my 2 cents worth. As to the gap between the dog and strut u need it to be as wide as you flex to stop binding. I'm waiting for the new blackjack to hit the stores as its hardware is better than both the mg and the mystic and is a straight swap onto the mg, and that came from Darin Jordan when I spoke to him at the nationals last month.
    Socal Fe member, miss gieco castle 1515 1y t-180, blackjack29 stock,insane FE30 p sport castle 1515 1y t-180, insane FE30 p spec ul-1 motor t-120, insane 34"mono neu 1521 1.5d t-180

same thing with me. Just ran numerous of times over the weekend. It seems like water only comes in at 3/4 to full throttle. Lower than that nothing seems to come in. i hope someone figures out the cure since i cant even use it without bringing it in every few seconds and wiping everything down.

Two-year-old thread, I'm sure someone figured it out.....

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I'm also having the same problem with my blackjack 29. If anyone has a proven solution I'd love to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by 96motorhead View Post
    I'm also having the same problem with my blackjack 29. If anyone has a proven solution I'd love to hear it.
    That is pretty much the solution, have you greased the stuffing tube really well? How is the condition of the bushing in your strut, and how well is the front of the strut mated to the curved stuffing tube ?
    Too many boats, not enough time...

I grease my flex shaft with marine grease thoroughly after every run, my strut is butted up to the stuffing tube and the bushing i'm not sure, i'll have to check it out tomorrow.

Chances are that your bushing is fine, I mentioned that because if there is an unreasonable amount of free play, it is conceivable that water that is "rammed up" by the drive dog could go up the stuffing tube. It is a known issue with a certain stinger that has a gap between the stinger barrel and the back plate, although water in that case is not "rammed up" by the drive dog but rather "scooped up" by the gap. This is particularly an issue with Pursuit mono boats.
    Do you use a large white nylon washer between the drive dog and the back of the strut?
    Too many boats, not enough time...

No I do not use the white washer. It fell off in the pond about a year ago. I got the ose flex shaft but it didn't come with the washer.

I am still not sure how water is coming in. I upgraded the strut,flex shaft, and redone the stuffing tube fully greased with marine grease, but it all just comes out when the water comes inside the hull for some reason. Any things i could do to fix the problem would be much appreciated.

water was coming in mine through the cooling jacket o rings.

ya, i think mine comes through the stuffing tube since i see a nice pattern of water on the plastic hatch cover....

Post #9 pic 1 shws the bushing looks to have comeout with the flex shaft. Just FYI, Octura 3/16" bushngs do not fit the Geico strut. if they are expanded to fit the strut, then there is slop for the stub shaft that will allow lots of water up the shaft.
    Kintec sells a special brass bushing that fits just right. The other solution is to replace the strut with one that is far superior such as a Speedmaster. Other struts work too like a a TFL strut. I'm sure OSE sells them. This would be an inexpensive way to help fix the problem.

Max is also using a modified motor that spins much more rpm than stock motor, this itself will cause early breakdownof lubricant making water comeup easier again.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast